Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
At least you can play inside a bit...those temps are insane! Stay cool!

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,035 Posts
He certainly looks boisterous. 😁
What is the fluff stuff a remnant of, and does the gated pic have anything to do with that? 😉

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
At least you can play inside a bit...those temps are insane! Stay cool!
Thankfully we haven't seen prolonged time at that temp, and things are looking to cool down as we head into the week!

He certainly looks boisterous. 😁
What is the fluff stuff a remnant of, and does the gated pic have anything to do with that? 😉
That fluff is from yet another obliterated Bark Box plush toy that clearly had it coming.

The gate seals off the pantry/laundry corridor, as we've found it easier to step over the barrier than deal with an underfoot doberman with our hands full!

·
Super Moderator
27,035 Posts
A bit late, since you already have your gate, but I highly recommend this one. It has a pressure fit so you can move it from door to door if you want to barricade off a different area without drilling holes (you don't have to use the cups if you don't want to--though they would make it even more secure, and the one hand easy-to-use door is great, especially if you are like me and have short legs, which makes a step/climb-over maneuver difficult. The door even has a baby lock, though we never used it (seeing as how our dobes didn't have hands to work the lever.)

Regalo Easy Step Metal Walk Through Gate : Target

It fits snuggly, and since mine were gated since childhood, they didn't challenge it by actually jumping on it (with the exception of one memorable Capri incident) and it makes a big clatter when it goes down (at least Capri did) so they tended to learn their lesson about jumping on gates (even Capri)--and I had no problem with escapee dobes.

They come in different heights and widths, but the standard height was fine for us, especially since you don't have to fit it flush to the floor. You can leave as much space under it as you want--which is great if you have a cat or two you want to be able to get out of the room without jumping.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Awesome, thank you. I have it bookmarked for inspection - We bought the one we use because it is rock-solid sturdy and so far has been the only one that can withstand Hope's almost simian-style beatdown on the top of the gate. He has effortlessly smashed through everything else we tried until finding this one, where it is too solid / solidly anchored for him to even move it despite relentlessly trying.

It's heavy and cumbersome, but immovable was what we needed and he isn't getting any weaker!

·
Super Moderator
27,035 Posts
I'm not sure it could withstand a kamikaze assault--though I think if you use the screw-in cups it probably could. And if you had the door jamb molding behind it (from the direction of the attack) that would make it pretty sturdy too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·

8.75 months and still no weight gain - He's remaining just under 68 lbs, despite (again) his head starting to look slightly oversized for his body in what I assume is the awkward/goofy adolescent growth phase. The funny thing is that we received an email from the AKC that he is now "officially" an adolescent and no longer a puppy, so maybe that's the cue to start a new/final thread in Doberman Related Chat that I can use for updates going forward.

Hope is doing well. I am constantly marveling at the new speed he shows when tearing across the yard - Whenever I think he's topped out, on come the jets and he can pour on even more impressive speed. He did start gnawing at his tail stub for a while, to the point where he'd leave it bloodied and scabbed over, but thankfully he seems to have abandoned that program.

It's looking a lot better now, I just hope he stays away from worrying at it.

Right now he is uncharacteristically nappy this morning, and I plan to do nothing to discourage it!

I hope everyone is having an amazing weekend, as always. Please give your awesome dogs a boop from me and Hope. 😎

·
Super Moderator
27,035 Posts
I always thought my dobes were fast, until one day a retired racing greyhound ran alongside Kip (after a tennis ball.) Kip was running; the greyhound was loping--and then the greyhound put on the afterburners and left him in the dust.

I just looked it up--most dobes average around 30 mph; racing greyhounds can run almost 40 mph.

I never really realized how truly fast a greyhound can be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
40 mph is crazy fast. I don't even like cycling over 30 mph on downhills, I can't imagine being capable of that speed under my own steam!

I'd love to find/borrow a radar gun to get an idea of Hope's real speed when he gets going, but sometimes his velocity scares me. I'm probably just being an overprotective parent but sometimes when he barrels down the hills I envision him tumbling tuckus over teakettle and get freaked out, so I do try to keep him on as level a part of the yard as possible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Hope's story will continue here:

Thanks to everyone who has followed our journey so far!

181 - 190 of 190 Posts