Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! With his introductory thread having run its course, I'm moving Hope's media post to Puppy Corner under advisement of the staff.

Hope is three months old as of Friday, Feb. 5th. We are watching him get taller, longer and lankier by the day, so we're savoring puppydom for as long as we have it.

When we got him at two months:

Now at three months:

We meet with a trainer that specializes in large and working breeds once a week, and spend the rest of the time reinforcing what we've all learned. It's amazing how quickly he picks everything up!

The trainer had an adorable 8 month old mixed breed in the car, and she and Hope quickly started playing.

And then came the nap, which he does exceptionally well!

Videos

New: Hope and Merlin

Hope Stalks
Puppy Somersaults
Hope and Merlin 2

I look forward to updating the thread with new content, and I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,819 Posts
I can't say as how I blame you for getting attached to the little bugger. :) He's going to give Merlin a run for his money once he gets his legs untangled.

It does look like you sill have the setting for the puppy somersaults video set as private, though??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's going to give Merlin a run for his money once he gets his legs untangled.
It's going to get interesting. They seem decently bonded after spending almost two weeks together, and they'll be around each other a lot. They play, they hang out, and Merlin seems very tolerant of Hope's sometimes relentless youthful exuberance, but we are also mindful of when Hope gets too excited and bitey and intercede with cool down time.

Hope can be a handful, but we're sleeping through the night now. Daily energy levels are high, but he's out from 10:30 p.m. - 6 a.m. which has been very, very nice.

It does look like you sill have the setting for the puppy somersaults video set as private, though??
I did and thanks for the heads up! It should be all set now.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
He is so sweet and, boy howdy, does puppytime go by quickly! I have to state that one of my favorite things about Doberman puppies (only being on my first) is how they sleep (legs everywhere, mouth open, drooling. I think that is the absolute sweetest!!! Hope is a darling boy!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the good press - From both me and Hope.

We had a long day today for his second checkup and distemper shot at the vet. In order to get to the animal hospital I have to go through a pretty deep valley with a lot of S curves and elevation changes, and despite trying to drive as slowly as possible, Hope threw up in the car. :/

I felt so bad for him. But everything else went fine, he's up 10 lbs since his first check in last month and he took the shot like a champ.

23.5 lbs, he's 3 months old today

I took a different route home that was much longer but more flat, and once again he yakked up what was left in the back seat.

Pic of aftermath that my wife took, linked with puppy puke warning:

The Duke of Yuke

The poor guy. He got home, crashed out and has been without his signature energy all night. This is what he's up to right now:

I read that the distemper shot can make for a sleepy dog for 24 hours or so, so we'll be turning in early tonight.

Thank you again for the continued warm reception and I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checking in! I hope everyone had a great weekend.

He's getting so old looking. His growth "spot" pic this week has him looking like a young adult with only a little of the floppy maladroit puppy left. He's also running much faster and far more confidently. He only tumbled tuckus over teakettle once today while we were outside.

It was a good, relaxing weekend. Merlin was back for a night and it was business as usual.

Today with the trainer we worked with his crate to reinforce it as his den/home base/safe space. We are also starting to work on leaving him alone for periods of time to quell any growing separation anxiety, which I do think is starting to manifest itself given that we are around him 24/7.

^ The usual pose at this time of the evening. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,696 Posts
One of the biggest issues I am seeing/hearing about right now with people who have gotten puppies/dogs during the pandemic is separation anxiety. I think it's an even bigger issue with a breed like Dobermans, who are naturally so attached to us, so I'm so so glad to hear you are making sure to leave Hope alone to help work on prevention. Even with my adult dogs I'm making sure they are home alone a couple of times a week...I have to make a very determined effort to "schedule" this, as I work from home and my husband has a lot of work from home days!

Another issue that I've seen popping up with Doberman pups during the pandemic is a bit trickier to work with, but you may want to have on your training horizon...this is a naturally protective breed, of course. In the normal course of things, we'd naturally have visitors to our homes during puppyhood, so pups would get used to people being invited in on a fairly regular basis, and it would be normal for them to see people welcomed into our homes. With the pandemic, most of us are not doing that (or certainly not on the same level as usual). I've already been hearing about puppies who are struggling when a stranger comes into their homes now...this is definitely something to be aware of!

Very much enjoying watching Hope grow!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,819 Posts
1 - 20 of 190 Posts