Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feed their dog Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw? The store gave me some samples to try. Doesn't look that great but Bella seems to really love it. They said it's an alternative to feeding kibble or frozen raw. Currently I was giving her Bravo raw (which is getting expensive) and some NVI kibble. They suggested not giving her kibble. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Raw and dehydrated foods top kibble any day of the week. Honest Kitchen is a good food. Murreydobe feeds it to her girl with liver issues.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I've tried it on Monty, I will be using it for backpacking trips this summer. He liked it, but not with too much water added. I did find that he pooped a ton for the next day or so. Monty is normally fed raw with no added vegetables and poops only 1x per day.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I feed it to my two border terriers and they love it! The literally jump, squeal, and cry the whole five minutes it's soaking. They seem to be doing well on it, but we're still fighting some allergy issues that they seem to have on just about everything....so might not be a food allergy. It isn't too expensive to feed to small dogs, but Honest Kitchen would cost a fortune to feed to larger dogs.

I feed Chase Bravo raw, which is expensive, but it's the only food he'll eat and he's doing exceptionally well on it. So, I'll cut corners somewhere else.

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to figure out what to do when I board Bella for a few days next month when I have to go out of town. The kennel won't feed raw food. I was going to put her on just NVI kibble for those days The people at the store where I buy my food suggested the Honest Kitchen chicken flavor. I fed her the sample they gave. No loose stools or gas so it seemed to agree with Bella.
I do feel raw is the best and she does well on the Bravo I feed her. But it gets expensive. About $25 for a 10lb chub of chicken flavor. Is it just Calif or is that about the standard price everywhere else?

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what to do when I board Bella for a few days next month when I have to go out of town. The kennel won't feed raw food. I was going to put her on just NVI kibble for those days The people at the store where I buy my food suggested the Honest Kitchen chicken flavor. I fed her the sample they gave. No loose stools or gas so it seemed to agree with Bella.
I do feel raw is the best and she does well on the Bravo I feed her. But it gets expensive. About $25 for a 10lb chub of chicken flavor. Is it just Calif or is that about the standard price everywhere else?
I think pre-made raw is expensive anywhere. I feed raw, but not the pre-made. I do the prey model 80-10-10, and purchase from my local butcher, deer processor and raw food supplier. Much less expensive.

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Rex and Tara have been on HK for one meal per day (the other is pre-made raw) for 9 months, I love it and both look great and lap it up with gusto. I rotate every other day between Thrive and Keen.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Well....I've been dying to try this product for a while. So I tracked some down and bought the Embark. Lily and Rudy LOVED it. I've had them on Fromm grain free and raw from time to time.....when I could get around to making it. Now I'm switching to the prey raw model with Honest Kitchen when I don't have the food in the house or for traveling.
Lily is a PICKY eater....always has been. She snorfled it! Rudy I wouldn't call picky.....but gets distracted from eating sometimes. My last dog Strider would NEVER leave his food. Anyhow, Rudy ate it up like crazy. Licked the bowl clean. It's not cheap, but neither was the Fromm...similar price and this food I don't have to coax Lily to eat! I am very satisfied with this product so far. And just my luck.....right next to the place I drove to to get this stuff....was a bath and body works OUTLET store. Everything was $1.80!!! I won't tell you how much I spent in there too!!! ha Turned out to be a good day! :)

ps. Anyone out there with a senior dog use this product? Perhaps I should be putting Lily on a lower protein formula....like the FORCE???

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Honest Kitchen claims their food is raw, but then it says right on their website that they cook their meat at 165 degrees. Bizarre.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
ps. Anyone out there with a senior dog use this product? Perhaps I should be putting Lily on a lower protein formula....like the FORCE???
As dogs age, their ability to metabolize and utilize protein efficiently decreases. If anything, Lily's protein intake should be increased, not decreased.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The Honest Kitchen claims their food is raw, but then it says right on their website that they cook their meat at 165 degrees. Bizarre.
The fruits and vegetables are raw. The meat has to be heated to a certain temperature to kill bacteria because the food is made in a factory that also deals with making food for humans.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I feed it to my two border terriers and they love it! The literally jump, squeal, and cry the whole five minutes it's soaking. They seem to be doing well on it, but we're still fighting some allergy issues that they seem to have on just about everything....
Most of the Honest Kitchen formulae contain flax... in two of them, flax is actually the second ingredient. For a small percentage of dogs, flax is a serious allergen.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I've been having a problem keeping weight on Monty for the last few months since Petey died, he has lost about 6-7 pounds. So for the last few weeks I've been feeding him some HK along with his bone meal in the evening, he loves it, and doesn't seem to have lost any more weight. We have a vet visit next week and we will see where his weight is now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts