Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe it! My family has been with Cotton States insurance since 1987 with both car and auto insurance. I just purchased a new home and they asked what kind of dog I have. I told them I have a Doberman and they refused to reinsure me! It didn't matter that there has been no previous incidence of an attack ... They just simply wouldn't cover me. Now I have to change all my policies to a company that won't discriminate against this dog breed. Thankfully there were several good options. While researching I read other forums with owners who gave up their dobes to stay with their insurance companies. Unbelievable. Just thought I'd share my frustrations and inform others to look at their current policies. Cotton States told me they wouldn't have covered a house fire if they found out I had owned a Doberman without telling them. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yikes, I guess it's a good thing you found this out before an instance of an emergency. it seems like a lot of homeowner insurances won't cover dobes or make you pay more to cover them. My landlord's is like that, so I have to pay more. It's super frustrating, definitely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently I couldn't own a trampoline either=\ ... I sent my agent (whom I loved) a picture of my Dobe during dress-up time with my daughters. The title was "My Dangerous Doberman". I'll have to get on my comp to share the pic. He's equipped with dress AND tiara. VERY intimidating!!!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Their loss. We have State Farm and they are wonderful. Had a garage fire a few years back and they were absolutely terrific. Hubby wrecked his Motorcycle the year after the garage fire, and again they were fabulous. Rates have never increased, and they don't care what kind of Dog you have unless it has a bite history.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
State Farm covers Dobermans. Farmers might also. Most of them don't cover the "aggressive breeds" deemed so by insurance anyway :(

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have State Farm as well and no issues here.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I had to switch to Erie after All State raised our rate a ridiculous amt. We made a point to tell the agent and owner of the company exactly why we were taking ALL our business elsewhere.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
The way I see it, Insurance companies should not be able to tell you they wont insure you because of anything. Hell they have people out there with DUI's and can still get both a license AND insurance and to me that is FAR more dangerous than owning a Doberman, Pit Bull, or any other breed of dog!

·
Banned
422 Posts
We have Allstate, they also insure on bite history not breed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have heard of this happeing to people but just thought it was a sick joke. Sorry it happened to you. I guess I should check my policy to see if my vicious boxer is one the list? That kind of thing should be illegal.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
You're in Georgia? You may be able to get ALFA. I've been very pleased with them (both home and auto). And they have no issues with Dobermans - I called them before I even adopted her to make sure.

www.alfains.com

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
It's illegal in 2 states so far; Michigan and Pennsylvania.

I recommend people write their state's insurance commissioner about insurance breed discrimination: Homeowners' Insurance

I have heard of this happeing to people but just thought it was a sick joke. Sorry it happened to you. I guess I should check my policy to see if my vicious boxer is one the list? That kind of thing should be illegal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We just changed to State Farm after finding out our homeowners had a top 10 list they refuse to cover. It worked out great because their rates were so much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The way I see it, Insurance companies should not be able to tell you they wont insure you because of anything. Hell they have people out there with DUI's and can still get both a license AND insurance and to me that is FAR more dangerous than owning a Doberman, Pit Bull, or any other breed of dog!
Very good point - my next dog (son) will be a Dobe, so I might check with my insurance company, to see if I need to find one that will insure me with my new Dobe. Right now, our old boy is a 14.5 year old Golden, never had an insurance issue with him :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts