Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had just about all I can stand of the pet food recalls. I am sure I am not alone. What food is next??

I REALLY want to cook my own dog food from now on, but I am having problems finding good sites for more information. Plenty of RAW sites, but not too many home cooking sites.

I have calculated that Orson @ 73 lbs, being moderately active needs 2200-2400 calories per day, and Phoebe @ 37 lbs being moderately active needs 1400-1600 calories per day. (this is based on the amount of dog food they eat now)

Sound about right??............

Now what I need is recipes that are nutritionaly balanced to provide the calories they need. Sites?? Books?? Anything that you have tried and know works??

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I`m with you. I have been looking too. This is what I came across.

Making your own dog food requires a simple mix of meat, vegetables and starches.
Instructions
STEP 1: Know that it is wise to check with your vet before switching to homemade dog food. STEP 2: Understand that dogs need a diet that consists of 40 percent meat, 30 percent vegetables and 30 percent starch. Follow this formula to ensure that your dog has a well-balanced diet. STEP 3: Cook meat before feeding it to your dog. STEP 4: Realize that organ meat (such as liver, kidneys, etc.) and eggs are very good for your dog. STEP 5: Consider the fact that many experts believe commercial dog food is actually unhealthy for dogs. Often the meat that is used in dog food is of a quality considered unfit for humans. STEP 6: Try making a mixture of ground turkey, rice and carrot for your own dog food. Meals made of ground beef, brown rice, brewer's yeast and carrots are also popular. STEP 7: Rotate the foods you feed your dog so that the dog gets a variety of foods. STEP 8: Add garlic to your dog food. Dogs enjoy the flavor and garlic is a natural flea repellent. STEP 9: Use oatmeal, pasta, rice or potatoes for your dog's starch requirement. STEP 10: Grind eggshells and add this to your dog's meal. Eggshells have a lot of nutrients. STEP 11: Keep cooked dog food in the refrigerator no longer than three days When you first switch to homemade dog food, try mixing commercial dog food to the food you have prepared to help your dog make the transition.

Hopefully others here have suggestions.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I would use a good quality vit/min mix with home cooking. www.boxerlife.com has some good info. I think they use a pressure cooker which can be very helpful. I found it helpful to make a big batch up and then freeze it individual baggies. I think you are doing a good thing for Orson, good luck!!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information Always.........and I am reading the boxer site now Okie :)

I found this recipe on Dogster.....I will check the ratios against the info you posted Always.

This is a bulk recipe for those with more than one dog who want to feed well balanced home cooked food.

approx. 5 lbs of ground beef/turkey or chicken
3/4 cup canola oil
4-5 cloves garlic
32 cups water
8-10 cups processed veggies (various -- carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, bean sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, red peppers, spinach, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. ** NO ONIONS** not good for dogs)
2-3 cans kidney beans
1/2 c molasses (optional)
42-45 oz oatmeal (quick cooking oats)
eggs can be added to boost protein

In a large 24qt pot brown ground meat, add canola oil and garlic. When well cooked, add water. Bring to boil, then add veggies that have been processed, (frozen or canned veggies will work too). I use dried kidney beans and soak them the night before preparing a batch of food. While I am cooking the meat I have the beans in another pot cooking them. Once cooked, they are added to the above mixture. Next, the oatmeal is added. Frequent stirring is necessary at this point as the mixture will stick. Remove from heat, cool and put into containers. The above mixture feeds 3 Boxers for 1 week. I occasionally add pumpernickell bread and some times substitute brown rice for some of the oatmeal. This recipe is very flexible. I also add a mixture called Healthy powder to each meal. I feed twice daily and add 1 tsp of healthy powder to each meal for each dog.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I hear ya Acooper. In fact I"ve been researching and am in process of getting the materials I need to get all the cats switched over to a homemade raw diet. Their diets are a little more complicated then dogs, so I had a more to research then when I switched the dogs to just raw. Good luck! Let us know what works for you!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Acooper, here's my 2 cents...if you have a crock pot, you're good to go. Don't get too caught up in making sure every single meal is balanced like the doggy food pyramid. Just try to make sure that every week or month, they get close to correct ratios. Also, don't buy the huge bags of dried veggies until you experiment a little first and find out what they like. For instance, if I add dried split peas to crock pot chicken, Oscar will eat them with no problem, but if I add dried WHOLE peas, he spits them out. Go figure. He also doesn't seem to like barley. You're pretty safe with the starchy staples of brown rice and potatoes, though. Also, don't forget to season it up!

Oh yeah, and for a starch, don't overlook using egg noodles...and we DO want yolks, so don't get the "no yolks" variety. They do contain wheat, however, so be mindful of that IF Orson or Phoebe has a wheat allergy. Oscar gives them two paws up in yummy beef stroganoff or chicken noodle stew! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I remember checking a toxic food list when Kratty brought up the subject two (?) weeks ago and I think brocolli and green potato peels were on the list. I also thought that garlic, as well as onions could contribute to anemia in dogs. Will have to check w/ vet for an answer.

Dogs LOVE hard-boiled eggs, and this is probably the best time to crush the whole egg, shells and all and add it to the food. At least you can be sure that the shells will be bacteria-free after being in boiling water for ten minutes.

I give Java home-cooked food 95% of the time now. I am keeping away from any processed foods when possible, both when feeding my family and feeding Java. The ground turkey I bought on sale, cooked up (froze the balance) was a huge hit. I will pick up chicken legs/thighs on sale and simply put them in a stock pot - I get chicken stock to freeze for future use and Java gets the meat and skin for dinner.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well good luck getting the kitties switched over lexus....I have heard in different places that many cats turn their nose up at raw! Who would have thught?? Could be they tried one thing, and the cats didn't like it and they said forget it.

Sooz, we have 5 kids in this house!! I cook 6 out of 7 days for 7 people!! I have two of the big crock pots, I also have a huge electric roaster. Thanks for the tips.......I may start working on it today since it is my day off from the office and I am not going to the school because I have one home sick today. We just got a new bag of Food this weekend, so I will be mixing it in til it's gone.

Orson has never shown any type of food allergies, but phoebe get's itchy skin easily and we have never pinpointed, but suspect corn products because when she was switched to corn free.........no more itchies.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Java, I have read in other places that onions are suspected to cause anemia in dogs. I don't know about the garlic........it is in the same "family" with onions isn't it??

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My personal feeling is if you are going to go through the expense and work of making your own food, don't destroy it by cooking it.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My personal feeling is if you are going to go through the expense and work of making your own food, don't destroy it by cooking it.
I agree Julie but some people just can't handle looking/handling all that raw meat. And some people still do not feel it's 100% safe and I can understand this. I also think homemade cooked is better than kibble as long as it's well balanced. At least you know what your dog is exactly eating and that everything going is is human grade.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand how you feel Julie, and there are lots of sites out there for RAW, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.
I know that many dogs look & feel GREAT with it........I see many beauties here in this forum and at others that eat it everyday.

But first and foremost you have to be comfortable with what you feed..........otherwise, I would just continue on with Kibble :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well said.

Princi has been on RAW for over a year now...THANK YOU OKIE!!! If you are not comfortable feeding raw than you shouldn't do it. Preparing a home cooked meal is still a lot better than something that is prepared in a factory.

Good luck, if you need any help you can pm me and I will be glad to help.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mr. Desi, I may just take you up on the offer :D

Eph, thanks for the thought, but I am not ready to try raw just yet :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Well good luck getting the kitties switched over lexus....I have heard in different places that many cats turn their nose up at raw! Who would have thught?? Could be they tried one thing, and the cats didn't like it and they said forget it.
Cats can be SOO finicky! I've got them on Wellness now. I've offered them raw, as more a treat then anything now and then to see what they'd do, and half of them turned their picky little noses up at it! But I'm buying a meat grinder, because otherwise, they aren't going to get the benefit of the bones they need. It will take a while to gradually switch them over, but I'm determined! And unlike dogs, cat are obligate carnivores, so I won't be bothering giving them any veggies at all. Although they will be getting some herbs and supplements though.

I'm contemplating putting the dogs back on raw again. I don't like the idea of cooking their foods though, just my preference. It is SOOO easy just to throw down a turkey leg, or a chicken back, etc. But home cooked is still light years ahead of kibble IMO, so I'm sure Orson will be healthy and happy!

When I started the dogs raw, I made a puree for them and froze it in ice cube containers, making it easy to toss a healthy ice cube veggie treat, usually every few days I'd give them some organ meat in a bowl, and they'd get a cube or two.

My blend was liver, bananas, some soft apples (minus seeds), broccoli, and a few small cloves of garlic (good for deterring fleas). Blend it all up, pour it in ice cube trays and freeze :) Oh yeah, don't let any family members see you make it all, otherwise they go on strike and refuse to eat anything made in the blender ever again./'

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I understand how you feel Julie, and there are lots of sites out there for RAW, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.
I know that many dogs look & feel GREAT with it........I see many beauties here in this forum and at others that eat it everyday.

But first and foremost you have to be comfortable with what you feed..........otherwise, I would just continue on with Kibble :)
I have to agree. There is a lot of pro/con for raw and I would not be comfortable. Homemade which I have started is all I feel comfortable with. Until they get this mess (kibble recall) settled I am very leary of all kibbles. I`m afraid to see what they recall next or how long it takes them to report it.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Good for you! You won't regret taking the best care you can of your baby! I had been giving Petey cooked when I first stopped the kibble, but his gas and runs didn't stop....so I jumped feet first to RAW~it is scary at first...but it's been a few weeks now, and I can't believe how easy it is. My mom saw him today and couldn't believe how beautiful his coat looks.

Carol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts