Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
All-

My first post here! Hope this is the right place - didn't see a specific call out for this topic.

But basically my gf and I got our first puppy - she's 3 months old and named Juno :)

Of course, being a responsible home owner, I call my insurance company (allstate) to let them know we have a dog. I've owned my home for maybe 5 months, and didn't initially think I even needed to until my gf had mentioned it.

Little did I know - allstate wants to drop me. Seriously? How about I just pay a premium?

Needless to say, I'm pretty irritated, and intend to move my home and car insurance away from them (and try to convince every person under the sun I know to do the same). I understand why insurance is based on statistics, but they need to take others things into account (family situation, how your treat/raise the dog, etc...). We are very caring/loving "parents" and I'm quite annoyed/hurt with their policy/response to Juno.

Does anyone have any recommendations? After googling a bit I noticed state farm has a "no bite" policy, which I'm fine with. I think we're doing a great job of teaching her when it's ok to bite (she already won't bite our hands like she did the first week we had her, she just applies a little pressure w/her teeth, nothing harmful or hard biting).

Thanks for any responses! And sorry for being so long winded - we love her, just pretty irritated with allstate at the moment :(

And here is Juno:

~ Josh + Lauren

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
State Farm. No breed discrimination, and I actually saved quite a bit when I switched.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Have Farmers no issues also may help if you have a CGC certificate when your pup gets a little older.CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen certificate a test from AKC they have testers though out usually with Obedience clubs,Kennel clubs and such.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I also have State Farm, and have had no issues. When I called to tell my agent that we'd gotten a Dobe, her first response was, "Ooh, I hope I get to meet him! I LOVE Dobermans!" Never any mention about breed-specific anything. Just "I love Dobermans". Yeah, well, I Love State Farm!

·
Registered
551 Posts
My husband and I have USAA for both homeowners and auto. No breed restrictions at all. I highly recommend them, if you happen to be prior military.

Have also heard good things about State Farm, but have not dealt with them.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Farmers, and have had extensive discussion with two different agents on the topic of Dobermans. Farmers does not discriminate, though they will exclude your dog from the policy if the dog develops a bite history.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
I have Unifund at the moment, they don't care what kind of breed you own.

I had Allstate when I lived up North and when they asked if I had a dog I said yes. They asked if it was a Pit Bull, I answered no. The key to dealing with insurance companies is just answer the questions they ask and don't go give them any more information then they are asking for.

Hope you have a better experience with your next company.

Shaun

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I also had state farm and when i bought my home i had 3 pibbles and they had no prob with that they know and love alice being this is a small town. they dont care about dogs id switch

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
met life here .. state farm was not accepting new clients in our area

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest that you have to look for a better insurance company that will help you on your premiums. You can check some of the best insurance and compare them on their services. you can check it here

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My policy is with Allstate and I was told owning a Doberman is fine. I don't know if it's the agent you're dealing with, laws in your particular state, or what that could account for the difference.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
USAA; no breed restrictions

·
Registered
31 Posts
We were just dropped from Allshit....oh I mean Allstate for owning a "dangerous breed". 32 years with those dopes too. So we now have The Hartford. No breed discrimination...AND we saved $467 a year with better coverage!;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts