Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any dog treat recipes they really like? I have found so many online but can't decide which one. Also saw some with baby food but I thought baby food was toxic to dogs? Is that true?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Never heard it was toxic. But I didn't like the sugar amounts it had.
Have my recipes on the other computer. Plus you might want to do a general Treats on the search.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
Considering it's safe for humans, plus the fact that I've weaned more than one kitten using human baby food, I don't see how it could be "toxic" per se. Could your dog be sensitive or allergic to an ingredient, sure. As far as the sugar content, just stay away from the "toddler" varieties. Stick to the single ingredient ones.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I like the site I linked below, I've made a few of their "meaty" and "cheesy" ones and had delighted results, the pups just love em!

Make Homemade Dog Treat Recipes for Your Dog

P.s. on another thread I heard someone was feeding baby food and that it's the ones with onions in them that you dont want, maybe thats what whoever said it was toxic was referring too?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just found out that apparently February 23 is "International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day"!

Torque is a fan of pumpkin treats and pumpkin is good for dogs too!

A quick recipe I use is:

1 15 oz can of pureed pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie filling, that has spices that are bad for dogs)
1/2 cup dried milk
3/4 cup dried cream of wheat (or cream of rice if you want wheat free)

Mix that together and make treats (whatever shape or size you want). I usually put like 1 teaspoonful and kind of flatten it out. Bake at 350 for about 10 min. They will still be soft. I've added peanut butter to them too. Peanut butter makes everything better! haha

·
Registered
382 Posts
We get beef from a farm, 1/2 a cow at a time so I usually make treats from beef. Soup bones are great, I just give them to her after I've made stock with them(although before I learned how to make stock from scratch she got them raw). One of my friends has a dehydrator so we've made beef and venison jerky for our dogs and they love it! I hear dehydrated apples, pears, sweet potatoes, etc make good treats too, and if you do them at the same time as the meat the flavours mingle nicely.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
When you use PB, whats the recipe like then? Do you use the PB instead of the pumpkin, or just add more milk and Cream of Wheat to the mix?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh, I just mix a little bit of PB in. Nothing else extra. Usually like a heaping spoonful, I don't measure. I tend to make things up as I go along in the kitchen. I'm the same way when I make horse treats. Mix together what sounds yummy and throw it in the oven for a while... haha. I have found that these treats last longer when kept in the fridge.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I will get some tonight, off of Nubis'sMom. She has one bisquit recipe, comes out nice and hard and have a little bit of bacon grease in it. Nubis still tries to do somersaults for these bisquits and no crappy ingredients where i need a Science degree to read.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Here's one for now...Nubis fav!!!!
Wheat Dog Biscuits

3/4 cup beef broth or chicken broth
1/3 cup cold bacon fat or margarine
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 egg, beaten
2 ½ - 3 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In large bowl, combine water or broth with bacon fat.

Add powdered milk, garlic, parsley and egg.

Stir in flour in 1/2 cup increments, mixing well after each addition. Dough will bind and form a ball. The dough reminds me of stretchy pie dough.

Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.

Cut into desired shapes, place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes.

Remove from oven and let dog biscuits cool until dry and hard. (You can also leave them in the oven over night after turning it off.)

Makes approx. 1-1/4 pound dry dog biscuits. I usually double the recipe as they freeze well...if they last that long!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Tuna brownies from the clicker solutions list

Note: This does have garlic, some people opt to skip it.

The tuna one is almost irresistable. There is a very shy dog in Havoc's class and it's the only treat he'll eat in public. We have a batch in the oven, fans on and candles lit so I thought I'd post the recipe in case anyone is interested.

Tuna Brownies from Clicker Solutions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Drain 2 regular sized cans of tuna and pour into large mixing bowl. Regular size is the little 5 or 6 oz can. You can also use 1 large 12 oz can.

Mix in 2 eggs. You can include the shells if you want to add a little more calcium to their diet, just be sure that they are small pieces.

Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour. I prefer to use rice flour - white or brown and have also used oat flour successfully. Regular flour can be an allergy issue for some dogs.

Add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder (or substitute with crushed garlic)

Blend well, into a doughy ball, and spread about 1/4 inch thick in a big,
greased cookie sheet.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden. Cut into tiny squares,
however small you need them. I also sprinkle extra garlic powder on top before putting it in the oven. I store them in the freezer because I make
several batches at a time but they do keep for a good bit in an airtight
container

Reactions: Elzajpn

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Almost anything except for chocolate, salt, peppers, onion, green onion or milk can be used for dog meals/treats. I make biscuits simplly; combine, flat in square, bake and cut.

Flour, an egg, soy milk or water to shape and dashes of parmesan cheese is very easy.

Or meety flavored biscuits can work too. Use homemade chicken broth (simply boiled) instead of water or soy milk.

Pumpkin or mashed sweet potatoes sounds yummy. I'm sure the dogs love them as well as humans:)

Interesting thing is there are substitutes, i.e. for sugar, it can be honey; for milk, soy milk.
Although as you know onions are never to be used, a small amount of garlic or ginger is OK to dogs.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Talking about biscuits, I brought some for my buddy's dog, and im like, look Nuggie they taste good and bit off a piece. I howled my friend looked at me strange, till I told him they were homemade.
Tell ya guys/gals a funnier story. When my cousin was going at it, during his party days, one night he come home with a good drunk on and the munchies. he settled on some spam/klik looking stuff. Next morning, his mother is asking everyone what happened to the small piece of dog food. He said, from what he remembered it tasted okay. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Just a thought sometimes dogs can be allergic to wheat & soy flour or soy milk. Sometimes better to use rice flour or some of the other flours you can find.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Sheba likes her frozen yogurt cubes. I mix pb with broccoli and or carrots and sometimes celeray with a big container of plain yogurt either low fat or non fat yougurt. I either make yogurt cup cakes or put it in ice cube trays and freeze over night. She loves them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
RE: Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
Title: Simple Simon's Birthday Bones
Description: Very simple and dogs love them!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Temperature: 375 degrees F
Ingredients: 2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
Cooking Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk. Add wet mixture to dry, and mix well. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll out to 1/4-inch thick and cut out shapes. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on a rack then store in an airtight container. Makes 30 large bones
*From the Three Dog Bakery Cookbook

1 - 18 of 18 Posts