Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everybody,
Eli is so handsome, we picked him up Mon from the breeder.
Took him for his rabis and a check up Tues.
I got a call today that he has hook worms.
We only paid $1,200 for him, as at 4 1/2months one testical hasn't dropped.
Ok, We only want a pet and plan on neutering him anyway.

I called her and e-mailed, waiting for response.

What do ya'll think?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Well everybody,
Eli is so handsome, we picked him up Mon from the breeder.
Took him for his rabis and a check up Tues.
I got a call today that he has hook worms.
We only paid $1,200 for him, as at 4 1/2months one testical hasn't dropped.
Ok, We only want a pet and plan on neutering him anyway.

I called her and e-mailed, waiting for response.

What do ya'll think?
I think it's a shame. When did the breeder last have the puppy in to see the vet? Do you have those records? When was he last dewormed? Was he not started on a parasite preventative, at his age?

I also think contacting her directly is the best idea, and giving her a chance to respond--it's been less than 24 hours, right?

Edit to add: Were you informed he was cryptorchid (the testicle issue) when you went to see the puppy, and prior to purchase?

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
I would suggest giving your breeder a call and talking about the issues.

Reactions: bubsy and BackDraft

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's a shame. When did the breeder last have the puppy in to see the vet? Do you have those records? When was he last dewormed? Was he not started on a parasite preventative, at his age?

I also think contacting her directly is the best idea, and giving her a chance to respond--it's been less than 24 hours, right?

Edit to add: Were you informed he was cryptorchid (the testicle issue) when you went to see the puppy, and prior to purchase?

I was advised of the cryptorchid, although being a Novice, I didn't fully understand the additional cost when he is to be neutered.

Anyway, he got his health cert two or three days before we picked him up.
She started him on Interceptor back in Nov

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
did you talk to your vet about neutering him now or when it should happen? If it hasn't dropped by now at his age, it's (probably) not going to drop.

cryptorchid surgery is more expensive than a regular neuter. an incision (about 5-6") is made along side the penis.

·
Censored
716 Posts
cryptorchid surgery is more expensive than a regular neuter. an incision (about 5-6") is made along side the penis.
depends on if it is inguinal or abdominal... finding retained testicles is sometimes like an exploratory.

To the OP, I would definitely talk to the breeder about hookworms. For a health certificate that is only to fly nationally, a fecal analysis isn't required.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Hookworms are notoriously hard to get rid of, usually requiring a more frequent worming regime ie a second dose 2 weeks later. ...and as they survive in the environment outside of a host, re-infection is a constant battle. It's the one parasite that I would probably cut the breeder a little slack on...although I would have expected the breeder to have been aware of it and actively trying to treat/battle it...and informed me of such.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would talk to the breeder directly. If it was me, I would offer to pay the cost of the treatment. I would have offered to pay for the additional cost of the neuter too, if you paid full price for the puppy.

I'm sure it will work out.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hookworms are notoriously hard to get rid of, usually requiring a more frequent worming regime ie a second dose 2 weeks later. ...and as they survive in the environment outside of a host, re-infection is a constant battle. It's the one parasite that I would probably cut the breeder a little slack on...although I would have expected the breeder to have been aware of it and actively trying to treat/battle it...and informed me of such.

She stated that the pups are at the Vet once a week.
And she knows nothing about it.
The Vet stated that they did multiple test (like three) and found eggs?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I would just worm the pup now and again in two weeks. You should be able to use the Interceptor as a wormer if he is due a dose when the worming is due. In the meantime, pick up all fecal material and I would dose those areas with salt to kill the eggs, which can live forever. I really wouldnt hold this against a breeder unless he was loaded and it doesnt sound like he had a heavy dose. A lot to worming is timing and I could see a few worms getting thru, but I am not sure how long it takes for the worm to mature and lay eggs. Also makes me wonder if the hooks broke thru the Interceptor. The breeder does need to know about this if she doesnt already. Just keep a checkup on him for a while to make sure he doesnt pick up anymore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the breeder offer to reimburse for treatment when you spoke with her/him?
Just spoke with her and she said she would take reimburse me when we come to repost his ears.
I bought the food she told me too but I think that is what gave him the runns.

Hey IT'S PUPPY (POOPY) time ;)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Just spoke with her and she said she would take reimburse me when we come to repost his ears.
I bought the food she told me too but I think that is what gave him the runns.

Hey IT'S PUPPY (POOPY) time ;)
If the food was not a switch, then it shouldn't have given him "the runs."

More likely it was the dewormer, if that was done. It can be a side-effect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the food was not a switch, then it shouldn't have given him "the runs."

More likely it was the dewormer, if that was done. It can be a side-effect.

No, New pup just has an idiot for a dad.
I just check the food .... it is Adult (as specified) ... but the +7 ... was ALL MY FAULT>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts