Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dreizehn, Ruthie, and I got a very exciting package in the mail today from Sinister and the lovely Juno! It was full of tasty (and quite smelly) chicken feet!

I have no pictures of them opening the package because, well, it was a day late and it smelled a little... so I made my poor boyfriend do it. I don't think he's ever spent time on a farm because he almost vomited. Sure, the smell was strong but not rancid. The dogs loved them, of course.

The feet!

A momentary distraction.

Dreizehn in the process of trying every trick he knows.

Tricks turned into demanding.

Demanding turned into begging.

Begging turned into pouting.

Finally! Noms!

This is how Ruthie begs.

Noms for Ruthie

Doggie kisses.

Thank you, thank you, thank you x10 Sinister!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, they look very happy with their delicacy. How long do chicken feet last in the jaws of destruction?
Not long!
The first foot took Dreizehn about 5 minutes and Ruthie about 8 minutes.
The second foot took Dreizehn about 2 minutes and Ruthie about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Great pictures.
Really love Ruthie eatie - too cute!!!
Tell me about the chicken feet pls. Fresh, frozen, don't they get the bones stuck in their throat? Obviously they are safe or you wouldn't be feeding them. Does your dog have to be accumstomed to a raw diet?
We have fed pigs ears but they are packaged from the feed store.
tell me more pls....

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
My gang loves chicken feet. I keep them in the freezer and feed them frozen. Wheeler can devour his in a few minutes. Frozen Chicken feet keep Lola entertained for about a half hour or more.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
The whole chickens we get here come with the feet all wrapped up inside them along with the gizzards and livers, necks and some other indistinguishable stuff). I've always tossed them out.. fear of ecoli...That's the reason we don't feed raw.. thoughts??

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great pictures.
Really love Ruthie eatie - too cute!!!
Tell me about the chicken feet pls. Fresh, frozen, don't they get the bones stuck in their throat? Obviously they are safe or you wouldn't be feeding them. Does your dog have to be accumstomed to a raw diet?
We have fed pigs ears but they are packaged from the feed store.
tell me more pls....
These ones were fresh. Sinister said she froze them before she sent them and then I stuck them in the freezer for a few hours before I gave em to the dogs, but they weren't quite frozen yet. All the other ones they'll get frozen. The dogs just crunch right through the bones as they're eating them and being that they're raw, not cooked, I"m not worried about any sort of splintering. Bones in the feet, I"d assume, are pretty small anyways. I watch them as they eat them because if they try to inhale the feet instead of chew them that'd be cause for concern.

My dogs are accustomed to raw treats. To my knowledge you need to introduce raw slowly or it can upset their stomachs. Ruthie has been getting bits of raw food since she was a puppy because her breeder ran a farm. Dreizehn started small with little bits of liver treats, tiny slices of meats, and I"d just increase the amount a bit each time. I don't feed full raw (they're on a good kibble) but now they can have full pieces (feet, chicken thigh, turkey neck, beef marrow bone) without me worrying - they handle it fine.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Love chicken feet around here. I'm so lucky to have packages at the local grocery store. They usually get a couple a day just as treats or in the morning if they had a large meal the night before since I won't give them a whole meal twice a day if they've had a large meal. High in glucosamine chondroitin so good on the joints. Both of my dogs crunch, crunch swallow these without any problem, even Jubes who is the slow eater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts