Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been on this supplementing thing...and got some liquid B-complex vitamins for myself and to add a drop or two a couple times a week to the dog's meals.

Welll HOLY COW NINA'S A NEW WOMAN!!!
She's already on soloxine 2xday, her coat is awful(we had 2 panels run on her last summer & fall- due to being able to tell only a slight dip in levels felt she needed another one and she did need her meds raised) and sometimes she acts like an old lady @ only 4 1/2.

She's got some pep in her step now.

I feed both a raw meal & 1 kibble meal per day. I suppose there aren't enough nutrients in there for her to see such a difference?
When I'm at the drs I get a b-12 shot, & do take it in pill form when i remember, but the couple of times I took this blend @ recommended dose I was on FIRE.

Has anyone else seen a huge difference w/supplements? I've no idea what to do for this poor girl's coat. She gets either a krill oil pill per day or sardines + several x's per week ground glucosamine/condroitin but her coat/skin still looks like crap.

I've seen people mention things for coat improvement, but it's been so long since the old timers have chimed in w/it, and back then I wasn't concerned(my bad) but any suggestions would be great.

Otherwise I don't know what else to do but run a 3rd panel on her in less than a year.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Is your vet running a full panel? I have always promoted vit B12 for dogs who are depressed or lack appetite. Works wonders for mood and appetite and is water soluble so you cant overdose B12. Glad to hear Nina is doing so well.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
So I've been on this supplementing thing...and got some liquid B-complex vitamins for myself and to add a drop or two a couple times a week to the dog's meals.

Welll HOLY COW NINA'S A NEW WOMAN!!!
She's already on soloxine 2xday, her coat is awful(we had 2 panels run on her last summer & fall- due to being able to tell only a slight dip in levels felt she needed another one and she did need her meds raised) and sometimes she acts like an old lady @ only 4 1/2.

She's got some pep in her step now.

I feed both a raw meal & 1 kibble meal per day. I suppose there aren't enough nutrients in there for her to see such a difference?
When I'm at the drs I get a b-12 shot, & do take it in pill form when i remember, but the couple of times I took this blend @ recommended dose I was on FIRE.

Has anyone else seen a huge difference w/supplements? I've no idea what to do for this poor girl's coat. She gets either a krill oil pill per day or sardines + several x's per week ground glucosamine/condroitin but her coat/skin still looks like crap.

I've seen people mention things for coat improvement, but it's been so long since the old timers have chimed in w/it, and back then I wasn't concerned(my bad) but any suggestions would be great.

Otherwise I don't know what else to do but run a 3rd panel on her in less than a year.
Cool! Go Nina!

For the coat, I discovered by accident that Glycoflex III (joint supplement) makes that skin and coat glow.

Seems to be the MSM and the Perna stuff that does the trick.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Which complex are you using? I'm wondering if the old gal Stormy might benefit from this, and maybe me. I know my mom always got B12 shots.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sometimes a lower than normal thyroid is a symptom/result of another underlying issue.

here is a good read. Diagnostic dilemma

Hugz to Nina!
Thanks for the link Darkev- & our Nina loves hugs- will sit right in front of you for one-the girl's a love bug <3 ~8D

Is your vet running a full panel? I have always promoted vit B12 for dogs who are depressed or lack appetite. Works wonders for mood and appetite and is water soluble so you cant overdose B12. Glad to hear Nina is doing so well.
Hope so, she sends them off to MSU-but I can tell she needs another one- her poops are shrinking. No worries on the appetite for her tho- I would *know* something's wrong w/her for sure then.

Cool! Go Nina!

For the coat, I discovered by accident that Glycoflex III (joint supplement) makes that skin and coat glow.

Seems to be the MSM and the Perna stuff that does the trick.
I grind up Osteoflex in a spice pestil(sp), perna, will have to look @the label. Perna....

Which complex are you using? I'm wondering if the old gal Stormy might benefit from this, and maybe me. I know my mom always got B12 shots.
It's Nature's Bounty sublingual B complex w/B12, says "fast acting" and they're NOT kidding. In Michigan I found it @CVS for like $9? not sure. it's $7.49 on the link below(has pic too). The liquid is real close to the same color as the shot also. I can't take the recommended 1ml dosage or I'll be up 24 hours- it's *that* strong, for me anyway.

Buy Nature's Bounty B-Complex Sublingual Liquid & More | drugstore.com

I'll never forget the 1st time I got a b12 shot-was in for a sinus infection & someone had on the sign in sheet in for a b12 shot- so on a lark I asked to have one. I was so angry it hadn't occured to me to get one years before LOL. It was amazing.

-------------------

(((Whisky))))

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Is it just B12 you are giving, or a compound? I ask because I've heard biotin (B7) is good for coats/hair. I actually just bought some of this but haven't received it yet: Amazon.com: Sublingual Vitamin B12 (1000 mcg), B6 (5mg), Folic Acid(400 mcg) & Biotin (25mcg) - 250 Sublingual Tablets - Formulated with methylcobalamin Vitamin B-12.: Health & Personal Care

That's a tablet but I haven't yet found a liquid B12 compound with B12 as methylcobalamin, the best form... that also contains biotin. The Nature's Bounty brand has B12 as cyanocobalamin, which supposedly isn't as good.

Sadly I don't think a dog would tolerate a sublingual tablet, and I don't think they're as effective if swallowed, so I'll keep up the search for a liquid. You can get liquid biotin by itself, though.

I know you said you give sardines, but maybe fish oil would be more potent. Fish oil and coconut oil help with Ziggy's skin a bunch.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My friend suggested I start my doberman on B complex I give her one daily. The vet agreed .........My dog will probably out live me with the vitamins:)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
JennyATX, it has been my experience that sardines are superior to the fish oil caps I use. Last summer I upped Parkers fish oil in an attempt to relieve his intense itching from allergies to no avail. I started giving a can a day, half before morning meal and half before evening meal. They reduced his itching in three days. I found out that Thanksgiving my neighbors were giving him a dog biscuit every morning with practically every ingredient he is allergic to. Even tho he was still eating a biscuit every morning, the sardines reduced his itching. I give half a can, drained, rinsed and drained again, most days as a maintenance amount. Time will tell if he has to have a whole can this summer. Sardines are excellent for the heart. Coconut oil is a different fat and I intend to get it and give to Parker also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts