Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took Her to The Park to Run around in the Fenced in Basketball Court/Tennis area. I carried Her down there before we went I told myself She was Walking back. I put the Leash on Her and Started Walking She walked right along beside me real well after 5 or so Minutes of that I let Her go to Run and Play. Then it was Chase Daddy time I guess after that I wanted to see if she would walk on my Left side I was just walking and I would hit my lower Leg and say Come here Holly She came right in the Heel Position and was Watching my leg it was awesome lol I'd start Walking Faster and She would Catch up with Me. Then I just Walked out with Her and she did real Good on the way Home. Close Cars and Loud noises and People got Her a little scared I'l just have to Take Her out more and more it just stinks right now cause its all messy out and Cold not to mention the Icy Sidewalks.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, great for Holly.. that is wonderful.. there is one thing that I found about teaching a puppy to walk on a leash.. I started a litter we had at 5 weeks and by the time they went home at 8 weeks the were champs.. do not make a big deal or comfort her when she get scared of cars or noises.. just keep walking and praising her for walking with you.. It seemed that when you comfort them when they are scared it only makes it worse.. well that is what I found just my 2 cents...Congrats again for a job well done Holly and keep it up!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Walking down the Street fine then the second a Loud Truck goes by She stops and Looks or Walks around me and trys to go the other way. I Have been Comforting Her I had the feeling I shouldnt of lol I'l put a stop to that Thanks for all the Kind Words Everyone. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
yay for Holly!!! Apollo was an absolute nightmare on a leash when I first got him. It would seriously take us about 15mins to walk a single block...with me pulling him the entire way of course. Then he progressed to pulling ME down the sidewalk, and we're just now finding a happy medium...You're very lucky to have such a good girl, and a very pretty girl also...more pics!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi had issues with loud cars and trucks at that age... I don't think I really "comforted" her so much as I encouraged her a lot to keep her moving and her attention on me instead of the really scary things... But after doing that about a month or so later I was training her to not chase those things that she was once so scared of LOL... Keep up the good work with her!! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lots and lots of socialization is the way to go! I remember Ava's first trip around the neighborhood took about 45 minutes when normally it takes 15. I used lots of praise and treats to show her that everyday things like cars, trash cans, other people, ect. were nothing to be scared about. By the end of the walk, she had her little head high in the air and she took on a little prance in her step. :)

Have you thought about enrolling her in puppy class?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts