Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has had experience with this breeder?

They were recommended to me.

Thanks,

Leslie

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
You will find out soon enough :) ...lol there is just not much activity going on in the forum tonight...so Im bored and I wanted to respond lol. :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
They had one litter born in July of this year and 2 in August of this year and are planning another breeding in Oct of this year. That is alot of breeding.
I don't see anything about health testing on their website and I wonder with that huge kennel if that is where their dogs live. They also have pictures on their site that I think is suppose to give you the impression they bred them. but they didn't. Thunder being one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Leslie said:
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has had experience with this breeder?

They were recommended to me.

Thanks,

Leslie
I wish I could be of some help, but I don't know anything about them. I know a little bit about a few West coast breeders........but not much.......it is just too far away from me.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
They had one litter born in July of this year and 2 in August of this year and are planning another breeding in Oct of this year. That is alot of breeding.
I don't see anything about health testing on their website and I wonder with that huge kennel if that is where their dogs live. They also have pictures on their site that I think is suppose to give you the impression they bred them. but they didn't. Thunder being one of them.
LOL, how funny they've got that Thunder pic on there!

I've seen quite a few of their dogs at shows..not my style of dog at all.

Three's nothing about that website that impresses me, especially the idea of 3 litters in 2 months, with another one to follow shortly.

NONE of the dogs who were used to produce those recent litters appear in the OFA database as having hips or elbows cleared..if a breeder doesn't do something as basic as hips, it's unlikely they've done much of any other health testing. In fact, for all of their dogs and the amount of breeding they do, it kind of boggles the mind that only TWO Holder Park dogs appear in the OFA database.

The sire of one of their 2005 litters was recently PTS after seriously biting his hander at a show..not the first bite from this dog. Interesting..he's referred to as "controversial" on this website..I guess that's one way to put it!

I think Leslie said she wanted to stay away from Marienburg for her next puppy in her first post here. If that's the case, then this wouldn't be the breeder for her-most of these dogs are heavily linebred on Marienburg.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The sire of one of their 2005 litters was recently PTS after seriously biting his hander at a show..not the first bite from this dog. Interesting..he's referred to as "controversial" on this website..I guess that's one way to put it!
Which dog is that Cheryl?

·
Banned
675 Posts
You can tell by looking at the website. His name is Marienburg Jerilyn Gilad. The site says he died last July, and refers to him as controversial.

I looked at his pedigree, he was a Dexter son, and went back to Dexter multiple times on his dam's side, as well as going back to Lex Luthor.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Ok, I found it after clicking on "Elsa". Is Marienburg Mary Rodgers kennel?
Yes, but Gilad was bred by a woman named Marilyn D'errico. Evidently Mary got him as a stud fee puppy (along with a red bitch). She co owned Gilad with a woman named Susan Machado, who breeds using the Chados kennel name.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't get the greatest feeling from their web site but felt like I needed to hear others thoughs as well. I will be steering clear of those guys.

Leslie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad experience with Holder Park

I know this is a very old thread, but if anyone sees my post it may be helpful to them.

I purchased my first dobe from Holder Park in 2007. I did not know enough to ask about health testing. When I got our puppy home, she was infested with fleas and very timid around people. The litters were apparently kept out in the kennel building, not inside the house where the family lived, so had limited human interaction.

Since both parents were Von Willebrand gene mutation carriers, I had our puppy tested, and she was affected. Luckily, my cautious vet had a Factor 8-Von Willebrand factor level done, which was only 16% of normal. (The reference lab and the veterinary literature state that levels < 35% pose a higher risk for abnormal bleeding). Due to the possibility of bleeding complications during a spay, we were sent to a specialty center. At the recommendation of the internal medicine vet, she was pretreated with DDAVP and FFP (plasma transfusion) prior to the spay, and other precautions taken.

The breeder had told me on the day of purchase that it "does not matter" whether a dog is VWD affected. In fact, I met a client picking out her second Holder Park puppy, as the first one had died of "uncontrollable bleeding" during an abdominal surgery.

In 2010, when more information came out about the gene mutation for cardio, I emailed Sue Holder for health information about the parents, with no reply. I called, but was only able to get Bill Holder, who said he did not know for sure about the parents (Ch Holder Park's Toro Black Angus and Holder Park's Sienna) as they were "no longer owned by the kennel", and was told that "their dogs do not have cardio".

In 2011, at the age of 3 yrs, 10 months, my previously healthy red girl dropped dead while running to fetch a ball, in an apparent case of sudden cardiac death. She had her CDX and 9 RAE legs. Too broken up to attempt a phone conversation with the breeder, I reached out by letter. I assumed she would want health information on one of her puppies, but I received no reply. A few months later I was told by another Doberman breeder that Holder Park did not do heart testing on their dogs before breeding.

In my experience, this breeder was not up to the expected standard in health knowledge, health testing, and responsiveness to their clients.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
2 dobies

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your bitch in 2011--I was very surprised to see this thread resurrected since the original post is over 8 years old now.

Actually I thought Holder Park had stopped breeding (a good thing in my opinion) since I hadn't heard anything about them in several years

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
I just lost my Bella girl this past Sunday from DCM. She was 6yrs and had been in perfect health. I week ago the Vet discovered a mild heart murmur during her checkup. Then developed a cough a couple of days later. Now my heart and home are empty. She was from Holder Park, born in Sept 2010. She was from the little of Toro Black Angus and HP Barefoot in the Park. :crying:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you.

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Thank-you....so hard to come home, open the door and not seeing her greeting me with one of her toys. I'm looking for another black/rust
and hope I'll find one very soon!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts