Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I don't know if this should be in the training section or not. If it should please feel free to move it. :)

Well today I was in a pretty darn good mood, so I figured I would play with Gracie. (Pictures will be coming soon in a new thread.) Well I tried to tell her to do something in German. My German pretty much sucks but I guess she understood me??? I told her to platz (spelling I am sure is wrong.) Well as soon as I said it Gracie's butt hit the floor. The most perfect sit I have ever seen. :D So can anyone (Jess) tell me what I said? I thought that meant down. If anyone is German (I think there are a few of you on here) can tell me some other commands in German. I want to see if they work on her. Could this be why her training sucks? Maybe she doesn't understand everything. Maybe she only knows German. :)

I know it's a crazy post, I just want to find out more. :D Okay, I will go upload pictures now. :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You spelled it correctly :) Platz translates actually to "place". I speak the language fairly well but to be honest I'm not sure exactly what commands are used because things translate differenty. I think platz is used for down and I've heard used mostly (by friends and neighbors, not trainers) as "mach platz" or "make place".
Mark never understood why I didn't train Chi in German - I'm not completely sure why I didn't either other than my brain is small and training is difficult enough, didn't want to confuse myself anymore than I already normally am :)
She does know 1 command - "poopoo mach" (very technical, I know :)
Our old landlords (and friends) had a BC/Pit x named Daisy. When they asked her if she wanted to go out, they'd ask "Daisy, poopoo mach?" and she'd flip out nutty, jumping on the door and all excited. (I'm sure you've guessed it translates to make poo poo) We thought it was the funniest thing and have used that "phrase" with every dog since Germany, even Petri mache poopoo. Unfortunately he normally just does it wherever and whenever he wants LOL.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Have you taught Gracie any hand signals? I would imagine that if you were to use the hand signal to show her and the German command to tell her, you could teach her the language relatively quickly - I know Chi will do what my hands say over my voice (I'm bad about saying "sit" and showing the "down" hand signal). Just for trial this morning I gave her the signal for "down" and said "Mach platz" and she downed fine - I guess with enough repitition she would associate only the command with it... I don't think she's inherently bi-lingual though :)

here is a link I found with common (and not so common commands) in several languages - It also shows the proper pronunciation :)
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

One reason why I think a lot of people use German as opposed to English is that it is a very gutteral language (lots of growly sounds) maybe dogs respond better to the tone that you are forced to use when you speak the language.
Mark and I used to joke that "Ich Liebe Dich" when spoken sounds like "I want to kill you" when it really means "I love you :)"

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
On the hand signal vs voice command, they learn easier by the hand signal first. Once they have the hand signal down, attach the voice command to the hand signal....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think German is the language of Police K-9 work. The guy I got Mavis from is a Sheriff's Deputy, and when he dropped her off here, he was telling her things like "nine", "foos", and "platz". My Mom speaks German, but I don't. I speak Spanish instead, not exactly a foriegn language here in California. I had no clue what he was telling Mavis.

Mavis did learn a little Spanish. She knew "quaiete", and "sietese", which is "shut up" and "seat yourself" literaly, or "sit" in regular dog-English.

If I told her to do something, and she didn't do it, instead of repeating myself, I would say "do you speak English?". She knew then she was on the road to being in trouble if she didn't go along with the program and do what I had asked her before.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. Gracie is suppose to sit at the backdoor when we are getting ready to go out. If she doesn't sit I turn and ask her "What do you do?" and she sits her butt right down. I don't have to tell her to stay or anything, I walk outside hold the door open and maybe I will let her know it's okay to come out maybe it will take me a few minutes. She will not break from that spot. She also does the same thing with her food. I set it down she goes right into a sit or down, I run my hands through it and walk away. About 10 minutes later I tell her to go get it. That is when she will eat. If she isn't sure if I said the right words she still will not move. Sometimes I have to tell her 2 or 3 times to eat. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts