Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever have a dog develop a histiocytoma? If so, can you share your experience with this, ie: location, did it regress without surgery, what did it look like, how big did it get, did it ulcerate etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Lucy got one on her ear last year. It started as a tiny little red dot on the tip of one of her ears. Over the course of probably 4-5 months, it became slightly raised and then gradually kept growing. Probably about the size of a pea. It never ulcerated.

We'd had it checked out by the vet several times and given it never regressed, eventually made the decision to have it removed surgically. Thankfully it healed up well and you would not even notice now that she ever had one.

Good luck with your situation. Hope all is ok!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quinn had one on his muzzle.It started out looking sort of like a pimple. Over the course of a couple of months it grew to about the size of a nickel. It ten ulcerated, scabbed over in a few days then started healing.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Murphy had one in between his toes when he was about 2 years old. It was in a tight spot, he would mess with it, and it ulcerated. I had it removed and it never came back.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. One of my two 6 month old girls has something that looks like it on her hind leg, show side of course. It's been about a month, it did ulcerate, my vet looked at it the beginning of Nov and thought it was a hot spot. I brought her back tonight and all he wants to do is remove it and wants to make a 4 inch incision. I asked him to biopsy so we know for sure what we're dealing with and he said he would do it when he removed it. I don't want to remove it if it's going to go away by itself. Her grandad Quest had one, was pretty scarey looking, we had it biopsied, was deftinitely a histiocytoma, and it did resolve by itself. I can't for the life of me remember how long it took to resolve. I think I need another vet cause I want a biopsy, four inch incision seems a bit much to me for something that's less than an inch wide in diameter. Opinions on this?

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
What Swilly had on her paw REALLY looked like a histio, antibiotics cleared it up, so I don't know. Might be worth a try.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
I called my second litter the histiocytoma litter because 3 of the 5 had them over the years. Wish had one on the base of her neck, conveniently just in time for the 1999 national also on the show side. Great .... It was so long ago, I can't remember for sure but I think we had it removed as soon as we returned from the national. Taz had one on his groin/tummy area. I happened to be taking care of him for his owners who were going somewhere when he had it. I used Tinactin on it but it was more towards the end of it anyway. Wonder had one on his shoulder when he was maybe 6 or so. Although I believed it was a histiocytoma, my vet really argued with me on that one and she was really concerned it was a mast cell tumour (they look similar apparently). That was removed and since she wanted big margins in case it was mast cell, it was a 6 inch incision. It was an awkward spot and he had a bit of a wrinkle scar at the top, and biopsy confirmed it was a histiocytoma. Wish then developed one between her toes on a front paw. At first I thought it was an interdigital cyst so I was soaking it in epsom salt and warm water 2 or 3 times a day and that one did ulcerate and was disgusting for some time before eventually healing - she was on antibiotics and I was using an antibiotic cream on it as we believed it to be infected.

Zeke had one a couple of years ago but I let it go away on its own, and I don't even recall where it was now (bad mommy!).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
All 3 males that I have had developed them. They were all removed; the last 2 because the dogs worried the spot. Rex's was on his back. River's was on the outside upper front leg. Pullo's was on his chest and removing it left a really ugly pulled scar. I find it very hard to leave something like that on my dog although one of my friends did and it went away eventually.

Dime to nickel sized sounds about right. Also shiny and pink.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I know, I'm having a hard time leaving it on her too, but I'm thinking four inch incision, gosh that has to leave one heck of a scar. Sounds like from all the responses that this is a pretty common thing, I have her on antibiotics, now I need to just confirm what it is. Not sure how to tell my vet that I want to wait a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,344 Posts
Baron had one right on the spot where his dew claw was and we had it removed because of where it was. Then he got one on the inside of his lip. Also had this removed. Tough spot to have one. Stitches didn't hold so poor boy had a crater in his mouth for a few weeks until it healed on its own. He is the only one of my Dobes that ever had this.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Fiona had one on a hind leg at just under a year of age. Had it biopsied and was benign so the vet had me apply some steroid cream and an antibiotic spray twice daily (she was chewing it). After a couple months it was completely gone and wasn't even noticeable where it had been.

Fi had another one pop up - much, much smaller this time - about a month ago in the same spot. Again, had the vet biopsy it just to be safe and it was benign. She's barely bothering it this time and it's nearly gone, however the bald spot where she has licked is still filling back in.

The vet says they tend to itch (which is why the dog will lick/chew the area) but they're not generally painful and don't really cause any problems as long as they're left alone, kept clean, etc.

Reactions: Kalecho

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Thanks for your replies. One of my two 6 month old girls has something that looks like it on her hind leg, show side of course. It's been about a month, it did ulcerate, my vet looked at it the beginning of Nov and thought it was a hot spot. I brought her back tonight and all he wants to do is remove it and wants to make a 4 inch incision. I asked him to biopsy so we know for sure what we're dealing with and he said he would do it when he removed it. I don't want to remove it if it's going to go away by itself. Her grandad Quest had one, was pretty scarey looking, we had it biopsied, was deftinitely a histiocytoma, and it did resolve by itself. I can't for the life of me remember how long it took to resolve. I think I need another vet cause I want a biopsy, four inch incision seems a bit much to me for something that's less than an inch wide in diameter. Opinions on this?
If it's a histio for sure, I'd wait. My Vizsla had two at about 7 months and maybe 9 months. They took a few months to completey go away. I showed him with them and he took a major from 6-9 (also with road rash to boot). He had one underh is jaw and one on his elbow (show side too). My vet prefers to wait 2-3 months and unless it gets really ugly or does not go away, then remove. Havoc's got a hard kind of scab and then it fell of and most of the hair grew back.

Reactions: Kalecho

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 8 month old just got one on his toe. The vet said it would probaly go away on its own. She did do a needle biopsy. She siad if it had not gone away in 2 months to have it removed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts