Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone here had any experience with their Dobies having any joint problems? I am asking because lately I have noticed when Princi getts up after sitting/lying down for long period of time and limps on her right/hind leg for about a minute or so. She is always very active around the house and at the parks and never shows any signs of pain or discomfort. :help_up_2

Thanks
Naveen

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hip dysplasia is not common in Dobermans fortunately. That said I see your pup is only 12 months old. Any kind of signs of lameness at that age warrants a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could also be Hypertrophic osteodystrophy (if i spelled that right i am really proud of myself). Deacon has this (well actually the vet doesnt know if it is this or Panosteitis). The vet told me that he will grow out of it and the pain is caused by rapid growth. Kinda like our human growning pains (but more painful). Deacon would wake up and limp for a day or two. When i first noticed it and rushed him to the vet. They took a bunch of x-rays and noticed the problem in his joins. His vet told me that the pain comes and goes and to just watch him. Now i just give him some pain killers the vet gave me when i notice he is hurting. He has not had any problems in about a month so i am hoping it doesnt bother him anymore.
It might be a good idea to get her checked out. See if the vet thinks you need and x-ray. The x-ray are expensive but if it is Panosteitis or Hypertrophic osteodystrophy then it can be very painful for them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Deacon's-Mom, did the HOD affect all of your dog's limbs or just one? Did he have any other symptoms?
HOD usually affects all limbs and has accompanying symptoms. Some dogs get really sick with HOD.
Pano on the other, the pain is suppose to move from limb to limb. Both of these are thought to be hereditary or caused from to much calcium in the diet.
Here is a link on pano and HOD:
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/lpano.htm

This link it just about HOD:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dehod.html

Also with HOD, some have noticed the dog comes down with it in correlation with getting vaccines.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have thought since the vet vist that it is Pano. When Deacon shows signs of it is in either both front legs or just one. He does not really show any other symptoms other then being very tired and not eating. This could because he is in pain.
I have researched both and personally i think it is Pano, however, the vet says the x-ray look more like HPO. His vet says it is treated with the same pain killers and since he is already on a good diet that there is nothing else i can really do. Like i said he has not shown any symptoms in awhile so i am hoping all is well!!
His little legs have been through the works... if anyone has heard of anything that is good for them i would love to hear it!
Thanks Mr.Desi, i have been meaning to post about this of awhile.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I guess Chi was around 4 or 5 months when I noticed she had a hip issue. Her right hip would grind horribly pretty much every time she sat. X-Rays revealed a shallow right socket - the vet warned that it could develop into dysplasia but was hopeful that wouldn't. She was put on an anti-inflammatory pain med, which did the trick after a couple days. Now, at almost 8 months, I can't remember the last time I "heard" her sit. Her right hip seems tight when she runs and if you watch her running away from you, you can tell her gait is a little "off". But, she hasn't shown any signs of pain or discomfort. I think I'll always try to keep her on the thinner side and as fit as possible to help prevent any future problems.

Now, my Chihuahua-mix - Petri, will do the same thing as Princi. He has luxating patella in both knees. But I think it mostly only effects small dogs.

I'm with CoAls-Mom, sounds like a trip to the vet is in Princi's best interest. You may want to read up on Pano and HOD too to discuss them with your Dr. The links she provided are awesome.
Keep us updated!

On a side note, I think it was Dobe_Paw's dog, Ava,that suffered from Pano. Maybe she'll be able to offer a little more insight...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awsome...thanks so much everybody. I will set an aptmt tommorow to see the vet.

I hope its nothing serious. I have been very good about her diet and excersise.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks
Naveen

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I am also giving supplements of glucosomine and chondrin (I cant spell to save my life, Im sure I spelled those wrong) I am hoping that it will help. Does anyone know, are there any negative side effects to giving "extra" of these??

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have set the aptmt for this afternoon at noon eastern time. However, just an update. As we were playing out in the field this morning I noticed one of toe nails on that right hind paw was cracked and seemed like it would come off! But she didn't show any signs of pain during play or afterwords. I hope it just turns out that her tow nail was bothering her.

Should I ask the vet to do xrays? Please advise as this is the first time I am having this issue.

Thanks
Naveen

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'd just get her in there and give the vet all the info, and let him make the call. Chances are the best thing to do is to x-ray, if anything to rule out the possibilities. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from the vet. So far everything looks good. The vet also felt that the broken toe nail is the cause for her limping sometimes and she will be on meds for about two weeks. He also said that if this does not change the limping we will do xrays.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for the comments and concern.

Naveen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts