Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Doberman is nearly 4 years old. Over the last few months he has started having hind issues, where his hind goes down and he has trouble lifting his legs when climbing steps. His hind legs go under his stomach and occasionally his hind legs shake and have given out. He has had extensive X-Rays, blood work and an MRI. No issues were revealed. We were able to rule out wobblers, hip dysplasia and other common Doberman health issues. He has just started a two week steroid program. He has gone from a very active life style to little or no exercise. The neurologist we went to see is just as baffled as we are. She is recommending a spinal tap and a nerve biopsy, but we are skeptical of that. Has anyone encountered something similar to this, or can point us in the right direction?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
So sorry your boy is having these difficulties at such a young age.

It does sound like CVI/wobblers, but as your Vet has ruled it out, not sure what it could be.

I hope the meds give him some relief.

Hugz to your boy.

·
Premium Member
11,446 Posts
I thought it sounded more like degenerative disc disease than Wobblers (CVI) but if they did an MRI I thought it was the definitive diagnostic aid for DDD.

Hope you get a definite diagnosis--it's really tough on everyone (owners and dog) when the cause of the problem eludes identification.

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I second the Chiropractor. I had a similar issue with my boy several years ago. Couldn't run, couldn't jump, had to use a sling for him to go up/down steps and relieve himself. Sudden onset, within a 24 hour period. X-rays, bloodwork, echocardiogram, cultures, MRI all normal. After 2 weeks of trying different diagnostics, medications and a whole ton of $$$, with no improvement, in fact little dry turds would literally fall out of his butt while he was sleeping -- he was totally unaware he needed to go and in fact went.

I took him to a Veterinary Chiropractor, he found an issue in the lumbar region, a slipped disc or compressed disc (don't recall exactly what he called it), that was pinching a nerve. Vet did an adjustment, charged me $60 and by that evening my boy was running around, going outside to poop - a complete turnaround. Within 48 hours he was completely normal. Follow up 1 week later showed no further adjustment necessary. He was 4 at the time this happened and is now 7, has had no further issue.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,184 Posts
This might be worth asking your vet about, if you haven’t talked about it already.
Diskospondylitis (Spondylitis) in Dogs

Kip had a chronic bacterial infection of the bladder, and in the process of fixing that with antibiotics, the back leg weakness he was starting to show got a lot better. Not completely better, but he’s not as wobbly as he was.

If your guy’s been put on steroids, which *I think* are certainly indicated with his symptoms (I’m not a vet though), that might make his immune system even weaker (over the long run) and make it even harder for him to fight off a possible infection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is in his third day of steroids. Anyone know how long they could take to see an improvement, if that in fact would help the issue? We were also told by his breeder and a few others that it could be caused by a low protein intake. Anyone know about this? He was on Nutro Natural Choice, which offered 21% protein. We just started him on Orijen which offers 38%. Has anyone had experience with those brands? What do you feed your dobies?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wonder about meningitis type problems. I assume that is the type of things they would want to look for in a spinal tap. I think if I had tried the steroids and had clear MRI's I would want to consider this as a next step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts