Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Saturday the 27th of June, we sat with Hilde as we sent her over the bridge. Her illness progressed so quickly, we still haven’t gotten her official test results. It was, undoubtably, cancer that had wracked her body, until even her big, sturdy frame was overwhelmed. She would have been 8 this fall. We’ve had her just over 6 years.

Last week, she wasn’t eating well. We took her in, got some medicine. Sunday, she wouldn’t eat yogurt (one of her favorite foods) and had maybe five small bumps on the inside of her legs. We took her to the vet again on Monday. The first tests showed her liver function was tanking. By Friday we knew the end was near. The five bumps were now dozens, on her face, neck, chest, back, legs. The original five went from a quarter inch to more than an inch across. She could only manage frozen blueberries and yogurt. Saturday morning, she could only take water, and then not even that. We brought her back to the vet and stayed to the end. It moved so fast, taking her from her happy self to her death in barely over a week.

Once this terrible week fades, it will be our friendship that remains. She helped me through one of the hardest times in my life, and then got to be there for the happiest times.

Before the vet, we stopped at the little lake near our house so she could watch the geese and play in the water. Someone at the lake asked if we were doing a doggie bucket list. We we were. We spent 6 years doing it with her, giving her all the best experiences a dog could have.

Rest In Peace sweet baby girl. Play forever in a land where you can catch those darn squirrels, where you get second breakfast every day, where the beds are soft and warm, where there is no pain. If you can come back, find me. If not, wait for me to come home just one, last time.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
I'm so sorry.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,593 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP, Hildegard.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,523 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your great girl. Your tribute brought tears to my eyes.

We feel your pain and are with you during this horrible time. Your beautiful tribute reminds us of our loveys that we also had to let go. There were definitely some great dobes waiting for her when she crossed the bridge.

·
Super Moderator
21,271 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. It's obvious how deeply loved she was and how very much she will be missed.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,872 Posts
VB- So sorry to hear of Hilde's passing. RIP for your baby girl. :crying:

You apparently had a good idea in your 24th return thread that her demise was imminent. It's uncanny how we know our dogs so well, after spending so many years with them. I'm only sorry that Hilde's stay with your family couldn't have been much longer. Thank you for providing a great Dobe home for Hilde. Glad Jerome and the cats are still with you.

If you can, please post some of your favorite pictures of Hilde, so this thread can serve as a little tribute to her life.

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
413 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. You have my best thoughts and wishes.

Reactions: vonBingen

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
VB- So sorry to hear of Hilde's passing. RIP for your baby girl. :crying:

If you can, please post some of your favorite pictures of Hilde, so this thread can serve as a little tribute to her life.
So very sorry VB - Hilde sure knew she was Loved a Ton...and did same in Kind return.

Like your Tribute idea SD.
- I had one for my Amy girl
- it was the few things that kept me going...I got to see her photos in one spot, and read the kind comments from DT repeatedly, so the most Loving membership helped me even more

DobePoem by Larry Schiestel, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Ahhhh--it's so hard to lose these dogs. Go Hilde, where the good dogs go to run and chase geese to your hearts content.

And for you vonBingham--remember the good times and even the fact that Hilde's end of the line was short--it beat long drawn out issues that sometimes take our dogs by inches and month or even years.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.

dobebug

1 - 20 of 22 Posts