Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my female in for her wellness exam and everything came back great except she has a high urine PH. My vet suggested changing foods. He said the high PH isn't so bad but she had some crystals awhile back and was put on antibiotics. He said there's a chance the crystals could come back. My male had a high PH as well but no crystals. Since they both had a high PH he thinks it's the food causing it. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I hate to change their food because they do so well on it.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Went through the same thing with Prime. He was on Orijen and started urinating frequently and inside, really huge puddles too, very unlike him. Did all sorts of tests at the vet and she said just start with a food change. Switched him to Acana and the problem went and stayed away. That was over a year ago.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went through the same thing with Prime. He was on Orijen and started urinating frequently and inside, really huge puddles too, very unlike him. Did all sorts of tests at the vet and she said just start with a food change. Switched him to Acana and the problem went and stayed away. That was over a year ago.
Did Prime have crystals or just the high PH? I have them on Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs. I've tried many high end foods with different proteins and always went back to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin formula because they shed less, have nice shiny coats and poop less eating it. I really hate to change foods, but I don't want them to have a high urine PH if it is going to hurt them or cause more crystals.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
No crystals, just the PH issue. I assumed it was the high protein in Orijen since Acana and Orijen are the same ingredients, Acana just has lower protein. Don't really know for sure though. I know the feeling though, I was really bummed about switching foods since Orijen is really good and my husky did awesome on it, but at least Champion offered Acana so I didn't have to change companies. The food switch is what worked for Prime though. I hope yours find relief soon!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the vet run a full liver panel as well?
I'm pretty sure he did because he said he did a senior wellness exam and said it included a full blood panel and everything came back great. Does high urine PH means there's something wrong with the liver or something?

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
more that crystals in the urine can be an early symptom. (but it's not the only cause of them, so don't panic).

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Natdobe, check out the DogAware site in my signature. There is good info on stones and crystals. There are different reasons for developing crystals and stones, plus there are different kinds. Make sure he drinks plenty of water and has plenty of opportunity to urinate. It does say that crystals are significant only if found in fresh urine. Crystals that form when urine is refridgerated or analyzed more than 30 minutes after collection may be incidental and not indicate a problem. Try googling Whole Dog Journal's "Is Your Dog Stoned?" 4/2010 and "Stoned Again?" 5/2010. There is a lot of good info in them. Probably very simitar to the DogAware info as both are by Mary Straus, with the addition of CJ Puotinen in the WDJ articles.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts