Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

I used this website before when I got an unwanted dobe aged 7 1/2 months.
she is now 18 months old. she has bee3n to training classes, runs off lead through forest 3 times daily but also running round my fields. she lives with my 2 other dogs. But she is a force to be reckoned with. She is very protective of myself and my husband, she is territorial of our house, our land, our land rovers and in the room my husband takes her to at work sometimes.

She runs like the wind like a cruise missile checking everywhere looking out for threats. I do not trust her with humans but she is fine with dogs. how can she determine what are the boundaries as she is bred for protection as we all know. i have talked to doberman owners and met some at dog shows and a few have the same 'working strain dobermans' with similar traits to her. she is a lot of work (I know dogs are !) and needs to be calmer in her own environment and territory as I do not have that many humans coming to my house but have a muzzle on her when they come as she will lunge at them.

I do correct her but this is my first dobe. i have had setters, pointers, terriers, lurchers and a belian malinios which were all fine.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If I recall correctly, you were strongly recommended to get professional help with this dog before. Did you do this?

What actual steps have you taken to socialize her with people?

Yes, Dobermans are bred for personal protection. The behavior you describe is that of a guard dog, which is not the same thing. And, not correct for a Doberman.

Are you saying that there are other dogs in your area from the same breeder/kennel or the same lines which behave like your girl?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i am not saying that. I am saying I have met thru championship dog shows and people who have dobermans as pets and even my vet who has known 2 dobes with the same traits of mine upto the age of 6 when they do calm down slightly. they are all very destructive as well. and yes she has mental stimulation, toys, retreives, treats out of a toy ball treater. It is her brain that is rather wild and others have said the same - .
breeders and protection dog trainers have told me that there seems to be 2 strains the show and the highly strung working strain. whatever it is it is a lot of work and stress for the owner.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I think that a high strung dog that is unable to relax is a high strung dog unable to relax regardless of working/show lines. I've seen a 14 month old working boy who was very calm and relaxed outside of the field. (He was a beast on the field, though--completely different dog.)

Do you know which exercises calm your girl down? Impulse control training calms my boy down/kills whatever drive he has at the moment. ~5-7 mi hikes with a large elevation change can also tire him out as well.

Maybe you can join a working club--be it SchH, ringsports, ect., to tire her out (does she like to play, tug, ect?), and teach her how to channel her energy/drives?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would second the suggestion to get a good trainer in NOW. She may be a dog that needs to be taught control, HOW to relax.

Protection means a dog who protects sensibly. It sounds to me like it's more aggression vs protection, but that's not to say she can't be worked with.

Please remember safety first. keep her and other people/dogs safe. That may mean curtailing some of her activities, putting her on a long line, investing in a safe muzzle, etc.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
To repeat: what actual steps have you taken to socialize her with people?

How often and in what circumstances does she get to interact with someone other than her immediate family? How often do these interactions result in her being disciplined for inappropriate behavior? How have you attempted to teach her that interactions with people are enjoyable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She goes to work sometimes with my husband to meet different people, she likes some but some she does not. even one who has 2 rottweilers so knows that type of working breed. she has 3 walks a day. runs like a cruise missile very fast and looking out for threats on our own land. she has learnt when visitors come here she does not know come into our house she will go upto them in her own time and treated when she touches them by clicker training. dogs are like humans or any living creature we ALL HAVE DIFFERENT BRAINS, that is why some humans do not have empathy or compassion. We do have various muzzles but we do not want her to have a sore face because of a muzzle so only on specific outings would she have one on. we are responsible people.! we have been recommended variou bach remedies to try her on. she is the most destructive dog i have had and has destroyed lots of beds. she eats very fast so we have slowed her down. This is the most high maintenance dog I have had and would not get another one again. I would stick to my favourite english pointers who i have had for 40 years (i am 58). she knows her job but is a pain !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts