Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to teach Lexi how to hide. I need something new to teach her!

Everywhere I have looked they say to put a piece of tape on her nose, which is supposed to make them try to take it off with their paw. However, when I put the tape on Lexi's nose she just stares at me and doesn't try to take it off. lol

Does any one know of an alternate way to teach this with a clicker and treats? Or is Lexi perhaps to young to try this? Not sure if it's an advanced trick or not but thought it would be cute for the girlfriend to come home and see.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the tape doesn't work you could try a hair scrunchie (hair band with fabric around it). When he paws it click and treat. Don't try a rubber band bc it will pull the hair.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooh great idea! I'm betting that will work and I'm surprised I didn't think of that. As she paws at her gentle leader when I put it on but I didn't want to use that for training.

the girlfriend is wondering why I'm asking for one of her scrunchies now. tee hee

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
That is a great idea. She isnt to young to work on most anything. She is the perfect age and like a sponge!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the scrunchie did make her paw at her nose to take it off. So that's a big step ahead of just staring at me.

I put it over her nose many times and clicked the moment her paw reached her nose (without a cue). After 10 or 15 times of that I started adding the cue with the scrunchie and did that for another 10 or 15 times. Sadly, after I tried it without the scrunchie she would just look at me and cock her head to the side. lol

I guess I will have to try again tonight and figure out a way to fade out the scrunchie, I'm wondering if she's associating the cue with simply taking the scrunchie off.

I don't think I've ever used the word scrunchie this many times in my life :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok now I have heard it all. I really hope there is a rescue organization out there to save these poor dobermans with owners who have too much time on their hands!!! :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ok now you've got my interest! I tried with the tape and same as you, could get her to do it consistently with tape but as soon as I took the tape off she just stared at me. I'm gonna keep working on this though! Too cute!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok now you've got my interest! I tried with the tape and same as you, could get her to do it consistently with tape but as soon as I took the tape off she just stared at me. I'm gonna keep working on this though! Too cute!
From the videos I saw with the tape, to fade out the tape I believe all they did was touch their nose with your finger and say whatever cue you want.

Dog Trick Tutorial: "Cover your eyes!!" - YouTube

I need to find a video with the scrunchie though lol

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I've done 3 somewhat short sessions, she still doesn't know what to do without the scrunchie.

Will keep trying

1 - 11 of 11 Posts