Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on these forums for quite a bit, and I decided it was high time to join. I don't have a Doberman, but I am absolutely in love with them, and I hope that in a few years I might be in a place where I can get one. In the meantime, I plan to educate myself as much as possible.

Haha I already know what my dream Dobe would be: a calm, black and rust girl. But I'm well aware that color and gender don't matter; it's temperament and breeding.

I also prefer a puppy over rescuing an adult. Not that I don't like rescuing, but, especially with breeds that have a lot of genetic diseases, I think it is very important to know what kind of background they come from. Then you sometimes have to deal with behavior problems, fear/aggression, etc and I'm not sure if I could handle that in a large dog. And the bond created when you raise a dog from puppyhood is unmatched. I still have quite a while to decide though. :p

Oh, and a quick question. Apparently I'm not allowed to mess around with my profile. Any idea when I'll be allowed to?

Thanks for any replies, and I hope to learn a lot about Dobes here! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to DT. What do you mean mess around with your profile?

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Welcome from Virginia also. :)
Don't worry about your profile. It will be fixed soon I bet. :)
Where are you located? Are you looking for a show, working or companion Dobe?
And black girls ate the best! :)
Good luck on your search!
:wavey:

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Not all rescue dogs have behavioral problems. :) And the bond between you and a rescue can be the most special ever. I know, I have two.

Keep researching and good luck with the future doberman.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Barkz - I can't edit my profile at all. Not a huge problem, I was just curious why I couldn't.

@Sinister - Companion. I will definitely invest in obedience training, and maybe some agility stuff, but just for fun/bonding and the dog's safety. Competitions and showing are not for me lol.

@EmilyB - I didn't mean to imply that all rescue dogs have behavior issues, sorry if I came across that way. I know several amazing rescues, and even rescuing sick betta fish from my local pet store warms my heart. However, a friend of mine rescued a 2 year old Dobe a good while back. The dog was super sweet and well-behaved, but had separation anxiety that they never fully cured, and after a few years she developed CVI. It really messed up her balance, and this beautiful girl who had always loved to run could barely walk down the hallway. She also had vWB and they had to be super careful with her. Very hard on them emotionally and financially. It broke my heart.

So I understand why people rescue, I support rescue, but with an disease-prone breed like the Doberman, I just don't think I could risk it. If my precious dog turned out to have a genetic disease it would destroy me. Ya'll should have seen me when my betta got dropsy. I was distraught over a pet store fish that cost me $5.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

Good luck with your research on this breed.

Do not count out a rescue Doberman, you may find that one is waiting for you, when you are ready to be owned by one. :)

Rescues ARE the best!!!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Welcome to DT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts