Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been "lurking" as you call it for a couple of months now. I stumbled across this site while searching for Doberman breeders one day. I'm not actively looking for one, just curious about any in the area (several not so great). I have enough on my plate right now without another dog.

I've never owned a purebred Dobe, but had a Dobe/Who Knows What (we think possibly Rhodesian Ridgeback) cross named Gin that made it to 8 days shy of 15 years. Right now, I have Lucky, a Standard Rat Terrier, and Ilka, a 60 pound mutt. I am insanely trying to put obedience titles on Ilka, but she doesn't see the point of it.

In addition to the two dogs, I have a husband and two autistic kids, ages 14 and 9. The household is rounded out by a Senegal Parrot, our 7 cats, plus the next door neighbor's 3 cats, and a stray tomcat who has adopted us. You can see why I am not contemplating another dog! :roflmao:

Anyway, I'm learning a lot about dobermans, and what to look for in a well bred dog and good breeder. That said, I'll probably wind up going with a rescue if and when I get another dog (and unless I win the lottery, its going to be a while). I just don't like to deal with baby puppies. Lucky and I almost didn't survive his housetraining. Gin (Dobe mix) was already 2 years old when I adopted her, and Ilka was 4 months.

Reactions: Darkevs and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
You do sound like you have your hands full! One tip--when you do decide to go with a new dobe, find one that is the opposite sex to your existing dogs. Or a female, if you already have one of each. Dobes are prone to same sex aggression and two males in a household can lead to disaster. A rescue might be a really good idea for you because you will given a chance ahead of time to see how the dog reacts with your SEVEN! cats (it's OK, my sister has a lot of cats too; I understand:))

Welcome to DT from Colorado!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Austin. You do have a lot on your plate! However, when the time comes, Texas has some great breeders :]

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Melbrod, thanks for the advice. I already planned on getting the opposite gender, because I've always heard that as bad as dogs can be, if you really want a nasty fight, get two bitches who don't like each other. I am a devout spay/neuter practioner, so accidental litters are not an issue.

For those of you who prefer to not spay/neuter, please don't try to change my mind. Twenty years ago, I worked for a vet at a small town, low cost spay/neuter/vaccine clinc in Oklahoma. He has a regular full service hospital in the neighboring city. He also, at one time, did euthanasia for the local Humane Society. He made an impression on me, and I will never, ever, have an intact animal if I can help it. I've even paid to have the neighbor girls spayed, and the tom neutered out of my own pocket.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Yes, I have certainly heard that bitch fights can be horrendous! I don't think they're as common as the boy fights fortunately.

Nice you are taking the time to plan--hope things work out perfectly for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts