Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi! I have recently purchased two fawn dobie pups. These are my first dobies. Any tips on training or any advice/info on dobies would be more than appreciated. I have done my research but am always looking for new info. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,432 Posts
Welcome!!! Dobes are wonderful, aren't they?

But one thing about your post concerns me:
Two puppies? Are they the same age, siblings, same sex? Those things will add more to your challenge.

Same age or siblings means they may bond more with each other than with you. You will need to be sure you spend time with each one individually and train each one separately so that they look to you for direction and not so much to each other. Puppies, and dobe puppies especially, take a lot of time and energy--be prepared to not have a life outside of puppy raising! LOL, but true!

The reason I mentioned the same sex is that dobes are known for same sex aggression--two males can be very difficult to keep together as they mature. That is not always the case, but they can unexpectedly decide not to get along as they get older (when they had been doing just fine before) and then you will spend your time keeping them separated to avoid a fight. Looking back at your info, it looks like you have a boy and a girl from their names? so maybe that's a piece you won't have to worry about.

I suppose I'm sounding really negative here, but I did want to be sure you know some of the difficulties that you will face raising two at the same time. There is a LOT of information on this forum about training, puppy challenges, feeding and dealing with coat issues of fawns and blues, and just fun stuff about doberman escapades and goofiness--I hope you stick around, and I would advise you to make particular use of the educational forum here. You will also find lots of support here, from people who have worked with dobes for years and years, but be prepared for negative responses about the wisdom of managing two young puppies at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma know you will have fun with two puppies hope you are young and have allot of energy.Good Luck with your new babies.Pictures please.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
glad you found DT, you will need some help along the way, with having fawns and litter mates. I have a set of litter mates, boy and girl, if there are fights in the house, it is between them. Good luck!
and don't forget, we like pictures!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome

Welcome from Missouri - Since you already have them you are a brave soul. It is very important to remember to do lots of things separately with them as you want them to bond with you not as much each other.

That means you take them different places, take them out some to potty separately and socialize so it is double trouble. If you don't do this they will become so attached to each other that the one can't function without the other.

I recommend obedience classes with them both but at different times so each puppy gets individual work and training.

Wishing you the best -and lots of patience and stamina.

(QUOTE=Sparky16;642731]Just wanted to say hi! I have recently purchased two fawn dobie pups. These are my first dobies. Any tips on training or any advice/info on dobies would be more than appreciated. I have done my research but am always looking for new info. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome!!! Dobes are wonderful, aren't they?

But one thing about your post concerns me:
Two puppies? Are they the same age, siblings, same sex? Those things will add more to your challenge.

Same age or siblings means they may bond more with each other than with you. You will need to be sure you spend time with each one individually and train each one separately so that they look to you for direction and not so much to each other. Puppies, and dobe puppies especially, take a lot of time and energy--be prepared to not have a life outside of puppy raising! LOL, but true!

The reason I mentioned the same sex is that dobes are known for same sex aggression--two males can be very difficult to keep together as they mature. That is not always the case, but they can unexpectedly decide not to get along as they get older (when they had been doing just fine before) and then you will spend your time keeping them separated to avoid a fight. Looking back at your info, it looks like you have a boy and a girl from their names? so maybe that's a piece you won't have to worry about.

I suppose I'm sounding really negative here, but I did want to be sure you know some of the difficulties that you will face raising two at the same time. There is a LOT of information on this forum about training, puppy challenges, feeding and dealing with coat issues of fawns and blues, and just fun stuff about doberman escapades and goofiness--I hope you stick around, and I would advise you to make particular use of the educational forum here. You will also find lots of support here, from people who have worked with dobes for years and years, but be prepared for negative responses about the wisdom of managing two young puppies at the same time.
Nope different litters. Liliy is 9wks and Apollo is 6wks. I don't have much of a life away from the horse farm anyways so. My pups go to work with me and then we are home together. I already have two holy terror jack russels so this just adds to the chaos lol. Yep I have read up on the coat problems with the fawns and both of their coats seem to be decent so far. I check both of their coats all the time since I'm already paranoid about the skin problems. Thanks for the input and the welcome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome from Quebec!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Even though they are not siblings I would still follow the advice given .
They are still young enough to bond to each other closely and without guidance and training will blow you off in a heartbeat. Speaking as an owner of litter mates myself , if your not the center of their world , they will become each others.

But in the long run it depends on your expectations of them and the relationship you want to have with them.

It's too late now but in the future please leave a puppy with it's mom and family until at least 8 weeks old. It really is important to their development.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
two pups at once - you are a saint LOL

5,421 Posts
Welcome to DT from Sarasota Fla. two pups both Isabella (fawns) you will have a demanding household haha!! Training Training Training then some MORE!!! hahaa!!! Go for it you'll get plenty of advice here, for now heres mine.........stay TWO steps ahead of them, house training/know before it's time to get them OUT!! Apply this philosophy to everything you do with them and unload the gun!!!, if you need a pro to help you learn how to train call Debbie Roetomeyer Nashville Tenn. 615 797 4886 tell her Von told you to call and explain your situation and location. If theres to much distance she might be able to refer you to a trainer closer to you. Debbie is a very good trainer and her family is involved in Sch. and many other venues concerning dog training. Good luck, keep the forum posted. VON.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even though they are not siblings I would still follow the advice given .
They are still young enough to bond to each other closely and without guidance and training will blow you off in a heartbeat.
This is too true!! Our neighbors down the street bought a Doberman as well and she is one week younger than Max. We bring them out to the field to play frequently, and if we don't continue obedience training as a reminder to them during their play time, they will completely blow us off when we call them!! It's happened a couple of times, and if we aren't firm and fix the 'disregard' immediately, they will blow us off MORE! LOL They are smart as a whip and if you aren't the pack leader, they WILL BE! I try to stay VERY consistent with Max, and it's hard work! We are considering getting another Dobie puppy... we will definitely have to consider this before we make a move!

By the way, welcome! I'm new to this forum too, and have one Fawn boy. His name is Max and he is almost 6 months old... :)

Kim

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
wow two puppies, you are either brave or completely nuts!

in the future, puppies really shouldn't be away from their litter mates and mothers at 6 weeks, its much too early for development.

Also, most young fawns have lovely coats, it becomes a problem as they age typically, though, some fawns maintain a lovely coat

welcome!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts