Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been intrested in buying a Doberman been looking around . And recently ran into a Kevlar doberman ? Or if anyone can recommend any I’m open to suggestions ! Thanks !

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I’ve been intrested in buying a Doberman been looking around . And recently ran into a Kevlar doberman ? Or if anyone can recommend any I’m open to suggestions ! Thanks !
??????? Say what? ???? Kevlar????

Want to explain that in different terms--lots of years in Dobes and I must have missed the Kevlar ones. Is there a breeder out there trying to con people into buying their own invention??????

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
Reactions: falnfenix

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
Bug, I’m assuming they mean the breeder (is use that term only in that they produce and sell puppies) using the kennel name Kevlar.

Reactions: dobebug

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
There are a number of red flags here but probably the biggest to me is their dogs have Kimbertal in the pedigree. Kimbertal kennels is a glorified puppy mill in my opinion. They probably sell the most dobermans per year of any "breeder". I'm using that term loosely... and I feel like I remember the numbers being upwards of 600 dogs/year sold in years past.

Where are you located? Do you have experience with the breed?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Bug, I’m assuming they mean the breeder (is use that term only in that they produce and sell puppies) using the kennel name Kevlar.
LOL! Yeah, Rosemary. I was pretty slow to figure it out--had to go to the link you posted (and when I read the post that started this thread I though that "Kevlar" really sounded familiar).

So thanks for the link and as soon as I'd read a couple of the posts there I realized WHY that Kevlar had looked familiar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a number of red flags here but probably the biggest to me is their dogs have Kimbertal in the pedigree. Kimbertal kennels is a glorified puppy mill in my opinion. They probably sell the most dobermans per year of any "breeder". I'm using that term loosely... and I feel like I remember the numbers being upwards of 600 dogs/year sold in years past.

I live in Idaho and no it would be the first time we’ve been looking into them for the past 4-5 years and just recently started searching to buy one

·
Super Moderator
21,136 Posts

I live in Idaho and no it would be the first time we’ve been looking into them for the past 4-5 years and just recently started searching to buy one
I'm quoting below a post from dobebug about breeder recommendations in Idaho for you. This is a good starting point if you want to stay within your state, but you are also fairly close to a lot of great breeders out in the Pacific Northwest that you have some really great choices!

Ket Ayling in Emmett, Idaho (e-mail [email protected]) and Jan Bultna in Coeur D Alene (e-mail [email protected]) are two breeders in Idaho that I would recommend.

BUT--like many breeders they breed only occasionally usually when they want something for themselves. You can go to the DPCA web site for phone numbers.

Jan's breeding is primarily from Foxfire lines and I know that she consults with Michelle when she is planning a breeding. She is also a member of this forum and if I could think of what her forum name is you could see pictures of her dogs and get an idea of what she does with them (confomation primarily I believe).

Ket's foundation breeding is from Elaine Hopper's Starlaine dogs (Elaine is a member here under Starlaine I think) and Ket has used dogs from Michelle Santana's breeding (Foxfire) and from Ravensown (Kim Owen--quite a bit of Foxfire plus a recent addition to her lines is a mostly Goldgrove dog). Ket shows in conformation and Obedience (at least)

Temperament is excellant from both Ket and Jan and both health test.

Good luck--and be a little selective when it comes to Idaho breeders as there is at least one who has been breeding Z factored dogs for years and I'm not sure if they are still breeding but you definitely don't wamt any of those dogs. There a couple of others whose puppies sometimes show up in Washington and Oregon that are BYB's who should also be avoided.

·
Big Lil pup
6,120 Posts
OK....
Picking up on MC's post.

Member "dobebug" probably knows as much about NW breeders than anyone else on DT.

Here is another recent NW breeder comment by her:

"My last five Dobes have been from Foxfire--in general there is pretty good longevity in the Foxfire lines and also, in general, health has been good. My experience has been that my dogs have been able to do anything that I had time and energy to teach them. They all start out as show dogs (conformation) and all but one was an AKC champion--and all of them had titles in performance venues (obedience, rally, agiliy) and passed the WAE (working ability) so had ROM titles as well.

So I'd certainly recommend Michelle Santana's Foxfire dogs. But Heartwood (Juanita ***an) is breeding dogs I'd certainly consider if I were looking for one--I know her dogs and she has used Foxfire in her breeding program fairly extensively.

Also in Oregon and breeders I'd consider are Susan Lyter (Rogue River Dobermans) and Katherine Hinds (Windermere Dobermans).

In Washington I'd talk to Tammy Markey (Electron Dobermans), Cathy Ceely (Emerald Dobermans), Faye and Gary Strauss (Sherluck), Elaine Hopper Starlaine Dobermans, Mary Leahy (Wyndem Dobermans) and Kim Owen (Ravensown/KO) Dobermans.

I've known all of these breeders for years and would have no qualms about getting a puppy from one of them if I were in the market for one and they had or were breeding a litter.

Good luck..some of these breeders don't breed at all frequently and all of them have waiting lists and I think all of them are still active in showing so sometimes you don't get answers instantly. If you e-mail a couple of times and don't get a response try calling instead.

And as an afterthought--not all breeders even have web sites--so don't make that any sort of criteria of whether a breeder is good or not--some unadulterated puppy mills have lovely websites which may tell you what you want to hear but doesn't necessarily mean that they are telling the truth."

BTW, our last three dogs have been from Foxfire (Wolf Creek/Sunny Valley OR)

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dee Robison from DeeRun Dobermans too. :2smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
BEWARE OF KEVLAR DOBERMANS. Horrible unethical greeder. I personally have one of her dogs who has a number of genetic issues including follicular dysplasia. She hasneen sick since we brought her home. Puppy had 3rd degree burns from being left in the sun. Awful. I’ll gladly share photos and cornel vet report.
QUOTE=Rogerrabbit92;3953025]I’ve been intrested in buying a Doberman been looking around . And recently ran into a Kevlar doberman ? Or if anyone can recommend any I’m open to suggestions ! Thanks ![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes Avoid!

Beware of Kevlar Dobermans! Avoid at all costs! They stole my $500 deposit. I put a $500 deposit down in May for a litter in June. They said my money would be refunded if there was not enough pups in the litter. They have had at least 2 more litters since then. it is now almost October still haven't gotten or heard anything from them. Very poor communication after they take your money. It's been a nightmare. After doing some more research I see they have done this to several people. Please save yourself the trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts