Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old male Dobe name of Buddy he is Black & Rust weighs about 50 pounds.
Need advise have a 9 month old Long Haired Dachshund suppose to be a miniature weighs about 10 pounds so far I only let them loose in the house so they can play if i take them outside I keep Buddy on a leash. Wondering how long it will be before I can let them loose outside to play do not want the Doxie getting hurt. Also have a 13 year old papillon but she tells Buddy off quick so he leaves her alone.Any ideas on how to get Buddy to play nice with the Doxie???
Also Buddy has just now gotten most of his adult teeth in did not see any baby teeth today do I still need to keep his ears done up??? He has show cut on his ears the long ones???
Hoping to get Buddy in a obedience class soon ether puppy or beginners, have had Bouvier's for 20 year's lost my last Bouv to bone cancer in April. 1st Bouv I got a Cd & CGC on him 2nd Bouv the one I lost in April had Mega esophagus also so could not show him.
I also have some disability's so hoping Buddy can help around the house some and looking for ways to get him more exercise just found out today i have Heel Spurs so now know why it has been more difficult to walk lately.He does play fetch some so that helps & hopefully one day Buddy & the Doxie Patches can play together.
Patches Mom

·
Banned
675 Posts
I can identify with the heel spurs, I have them too. I was in a lot of pain for a few months until I found some heel inserts that worked, and I put a set of them in each pair of shoes. After a while the pain went away completely. The podiatrist had wanted to have some custom inserts made for about $400 apiece, but a friend gave me an article about how the over the kind work just as well most of the time, so that's what I tried first. Now I usually don't even remember that I have heel spurs.

I have had Dobremans and Italian Greyhounds together for about 18 years now. I don't let Doberman puppies out to play with the IGs. My first Doberman was 11 years old when I got my first IG, he really liked her, and he had the sense to know he couldn't wrestle with her. But later on when I got Mic as a puppy, he didn't know that, so I spent a lot of time refereeing them when they were outside. The Iggies knew they couldn't play with him without getting injured, and if they were outside and he went out, they would run in. If they were in and he came in, they would run out.

The only thing that helped the situation was when Mic got older he didn't so much want to play with them. Altho my previous two Dobermans had close relationships with two of the IGs, Mic didn't, but he didn't hurt them.

Now I have Monte, who is 15 months old, and wants to chase and "play" with the IGs, who are elderly and don't want much to do with him. I seldom even let him out in the backyard with them, and never unless I'm supervising. In the house I'm trying to interrupt him every time he even thinks about chasing them.

In all the years I've had the two breeds, in spite of how much the first Iggies got along with the Dobermans I had then, when I took the dogs out for free runs, I never took them together, Dobermans and IGs went for separate runs.

So, speaking for myself I wouldn't be planning on them playing together. It may happen that they will eventually, if the Doxie wants, but I think the puppy is young yet for that. You will need to teach him what he can and can't do with the smaller dog, and that's a learning process that will take awhile.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
to burn off energy fetch is good, do you have a large fenced in area where he could just run free? Doggie daycare is good, and so are playdates with other dogs. How many toys or chew items do you have for him, inside and outside? Training classes would be good.

My Dobes are around Chihuahuas often, I grew up with Dobes and Chihuahuas too, they didn't bother the Chi's too much.

I watch my Dobes with little dogs very closely. I find some Dobes do great with little dogs right off the bat, they are gentle and really are good with them. Other Dobes need to be kept on leash and trained not to "play" so rough with them, b/c someone could get hurt. I would continue to keep your boy on leash when around Patches until he is a bit more mature and settles down a little more, before letting him off leash to "play" with Patches, until he learns to be more gentle and play nicely.

The breeder my male came from raises and shows little dogs under 10 lbs. and the Dobes and little dogs get along pretty good. But she does not let them interact unsupervised and doesn't let them get rough or let things get out of hand.

About his ears, how long have they been standing?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My Dobe and Chihuahua have always played pretty well in the house together - BUT I don't let the Chihuahua out when we are playing in the yard or field. He likes to run circles and Chi (the Dobe) has a pretty high prey drive. At about 4 months, she was just too big to tackle him in a game of chase.
I think with a little patience and a lot of positive training, you could train your Buddy to be a great asset around the house for you. Mine loves to bring me things, we're working on cueing it now. She now knows that "hurry remote" means bring me the remote :) One of our members here has an awesome Dobe that will pick up dropped change and hand it over, will answer and hand over a ringing phone and even very politely remove his socks :) These guys are so smart, I really think we could teach them to drive if we were so inclined :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java plays well with small dogs at the dog park, but I never keep my eyes off her and will make sure I am within grabbing distance. After all, she is 65 lbs of pure muscle and could easily hurt a smaller dog unintentionally. Nothing funnier than watching my 16-mon-old Dobergirl puppy bow to a beagle pup 1/4 her size.

The smaller dogs will let the larger ones know when they have had enough or feel threatened. Often it's the smaller ones that will charge at the big dogs - not the other way around. Java would put up with this kind of antic from a pug for a few months - fending him off with her shoulder until finally one day she turned devil dog and snapped at him. That little bully now keeps his distance....

·
Banned
675 Posts
If I was taking a small dog to a dog park I wouldn't even go to one that didn't have separate areas for small and large dogs. Sometimes people take their small dogs into the large dog side for various reasons and it makes me very uncomfortable. My dog wouldn't intentionally hurt them, altho he might mow them down running over them. But there could easily be dogs there whose prey drive was excited by the sight of a small dog running.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group.. I also had heel spurs on both heels. Pain Pain and more Pain.. oh I know.. Did the inserts for 4 years.. shot of cortizone almost killed me.. Did not know I was allergic. finally had bilateral heel surgery at the same time.. crawled on hands and knees for 2 weeks.. but now almost 6 years later I have been fairly pain free for 5 years.. Yeah!! Get the dogs a treadmil and teach them to walk on it.. Hope you enjoy the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input I have had Buddy about a week & a half he was about19 weeks old had his ears taped up then. The tape got damp from rain it was misting so took the tape off its been off about 2 1/2 days. the tips are leaning outward its suppose to rain here tomorrow so I think I will get them taped back up on Friday because of the tipping out.? I will keep Buddy on a leash when he is around Patches & they are outside I squirt Buddy in the butt with a water bottle if he gets too rough.???
Buddy likes to sit next to me & just get petted is that normal behavior for a Dobe pup???He also still likes to jump up on me I have been taking his front paws & step on the back paw??? I have a Total Left Knee & 70% of the cartilage gone in the right knee so cannot put my knee up when he jumps up.
The Therapedics group is having a fund raiser they train dogs for the handicapped so hope to take Buddy to the fundraiser and ask some questions about training Buddy to help me out some.
Thank you all for all the wonderful advise.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Thanks for all the input I have had Buddy about a week & a half he was about19 weeks old had his ears taped up then. The tape got damp from rain it was misting so took the tape off its been off about 2 1/2 days. the tips are leaning outward its suppose to rain here tomorrow so I think I will get them taped back up on Friday because of the tipping out
I sent you a private message.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
TracyJo said:
My Dobe and Chihuahua have always played pretty well in the house together - BUT I don't let the Chihuahua out when we are playing in the yard or field. He likes to run circles and Chi (the Dobe) has a pretty high prey drive. At about 4 months, she was just too big to tackle him in a game of chase.
I think with a little patience and a lot of positive training, you could train your Buddy to be a great asset around the house for you. Mine loves to bring me things, we're working on cueing it now. She now knows that "hurry remote" means bring me the remote :) One of our members here has an awesome Dobe that will pick up dropped change and hand it over, will answer and hand over a ringing phone and even very politely remove his socks :) These guys are so smart, I really think we could teach them to drive if we were so inclined :)
Hello and welcome to the forum from me brumwolf and my pack here in the U.K.
I have to agree with Tracy these dogs are so smart ! i have actually taught Chelsie and Amber to drive(although we keep the keys off Amber now bcuz of her D-R-I-N-K problem)they do have a problem with traffic lights though with the colour blindess thing...:)
:largegr: :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Patches Mom, your Buddy needs at least a couple hours of exercise daily...the kind of exercise that tires him out. It doesn't have to be one 2-hr. session--you can break it up into segments throughout the day--but don't skimp on his exercise or he will find destructive ways to let out that energy (digging holes, playing rough, etc.). Believe me, I understand the physical restrictions that come w/a bad knee. If you have a sizeable yard, hitting balls w/a tennis racket is a good option if he likes to chase and fetch. On the jumping up on people matter, stepping on his back paw is NOT a good solution. He needs to wear a training collar (I used a prong) with a short lead attached and when he jumps, tell him "no" and correct him immediately. It may take a few weeks to sink in but it beats a vet bill for broken toes (which, for the most part are NOT surgically repairable), plus your dog will eventually not want to come close to you if he thinks he is within "stepping" distance. You don't want that. Correct him via the collar or the squirt bottle. They should give you more instruction on this when you get into obedience class. Do you have a local kennel club? They are also a good option for pet training.

Good luck w/the Therapedics group...that sounds like a very good idea. I have taught Oscar to bring me a number of things inside the house with the "bring it" command. It takes training, consistency and patience (oh yeah, and lots of little treats). Dobies get their feelings hurt easily by harsh (loud) words and like elephants, they never forget. Sitting by you and wanting to be petted are absolutely dobie traits. Sounds like he loves you very much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts