Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my names tom from the uk in essex im a 1st time dog owner and to be fair after getting my doberman i wouldnt change him for the world and glad i picked this bread, ive got a brown and liver doberman called him rolo (after the chocolate) , had him since 6 weeks hes 14 weeks now goes so quick lol , hes had all his jabs , and hes sort of there now toilet trained , ive taught him to sit , lay down , paw , up , down , off , hes so smart and doesnt take him to long to figure out a new trick or command , theres a couple things id like help with hense why i signed up on here , 1) ive been taking him out on walks for couple weeks now so hes used to lead and colar now , but he likes to try jump around and try chew his lead which i dont know how to make him stop that , 2) when i take him out on walks most of the time hes fine but with certain people he's not unsure of he will put his head down and freeze until theve walked past him i dont know how to stop this ive tried distracting his attention , 3) is the worst of all is his biting he nips and nips most of the time on my hands its really starting to hurt as his teeth are growing , ive tried everything , 4) and this is strange with him if im sitting in my chair watching him play with his toys and if i cross my legs he looks at my foot and starts growling and jumping around my foot barking at it ? i just find it strange and he wont stop until i uncross my legs lol please someone with experience help as i am a 1st time dog owner so everythings a learning curve for me at the moment

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi there Tom/Rolo
A lot of puppy stiff, can be less concerning when your viewed as the leader more / and its love and fairness, that gets the job done.
- through mutual respect, mental stimulation & much fun play...that builds eye focus/attention span/desire to please/confidence
- early and tons of varying socialization is indeed necessary to..in the pup learning experience

I let my girl carry the leash home, on the last block of our walk / sort of a happy ending, but gets a loud ITCH, if she wants to bite the leash, early on.
BTW - puppy pictures are most welcomed.

Here is some good reading for you, with some links to follow.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/67336-mentally-stimulating-ideas.html

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome! Shame on the irresponsible breeder for letting a puppy go home too young, unfortunately the new owner has to deal with the consequences..ie dealing with a puppy that has not learned bite inhibiton.

I've never dealt with it so hopefully others will chime in!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have not dealt with this issue but I read that you have to scream really loud (that is what litter mates would do) make a real fuss about it like you are really hurt. Then turn away from him giving him the cold shoulder, until he settles down or make the fuss and give him something else to chew then the cold shoulder. Eventually he will get the hint. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
You did unfortunately get your puppy too soon, the weeks after weaning 4-8, are so important in developing your puppies early socialization skills and bite inhibition.

I'll give you a little reading while you wait ( I haven't had a dobe-shark in 15 years....lol).

Dog Tip: Bite Inhibition -- an Essential Part of Socialization

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi thanks for the great advice , i wouldnt say he does it constantly just when hes playing or rough housing abit normally i have a chew toy handy in my pocket so when he goes to bite i re direct him with a chew toy instead of my hand , and ive got loads of photos of him lol im glad we ended up getting a chocolate dobie took us about 3 months to find him , where thinking of taking him back to see his parents and one of his siblings the breeder kept , do you think this is a good idea to let them see how they get along , he met a 5 year old dobie over the park yesturday and anything his dobie was doing mine wanted to copy it lol

Attachments

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Hi Tom & Rolo, Welcome to DT. I love his name, Rolo's are my fave chocolates :D Homer & I live in Essex. What part of the county are you from?

Sorry I can't offer any advice on your problem, I've never had to deal with it. There's loads of great info on here though to help you with all aspects of puppyhood.

I haven't been on here long but I have noticed that they're partial to the odd picture here & there.:roflmao: Especially puppies. hint hint ;)

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
hi thanks for the great advice , i wouldnt say he does it constantly just when hes playing or rough housing abit normally i have a chew toy handy in my pocket so when he goes to bite i re direct him with a chew toy instead of my hand , and ive got loads of photos of him lol im glad we ended up getting a chocolate dobie took us about 3 months to find him , where thinking of taking him back to see his parents and one of his siblings the breeder kept , do you think this is a good idea to let them see how they get along , he met a 5 year old dobie over the park yesturday and anything his dobie was doing mine wanted to copy it lol
When a littermate nips his brother or sister too hard, they will yelp, and probably not want to play anymore. The nipper will learn this and bite softer next time or else he is going to be playing by himself!! He learns this with his littermates, but you have to teach him this, as he was taken away too early. You can still teach him, it will just be tougher. You will serve at the whining littermate, haha!

My breeder told me that whenever Brandy nipped too hard, to go Ow ow ow in a loud kind of whiny voice and end all play for ten to twenty seconds. This means standing up quickly while saying Ow ow ow, then turn your back to him in dead silence. Another methond is yelping Ow ow ow, and running out of the room, and closing the door for a couple seconds (that one is more extreme, but a quicker method I think). I the first method for about ten seconds. The puppy will learn that biting too hard equals no more fun and this will catch on quickly. Brandy now will sit there with my hand in her mouth with her teeth barely touching it, just feeling around.

he met a 5 year old dobie over the park yesturday and anything his dobie was doing mine wanted to copy it lol
Oh, and be careful where you bring him until he is completely vaccinated! Other dogs are suspicious to me!

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberma...mmended-not-go-dog-park-til-6-months-old.html

Have fun with Mr. Shark teeth!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When a littermate nips his brother or sister too hard, they will yelp, and probably not want to play anymore. The nipper will learn this and bite softer next time or else he is going to be playing by himself!! He learns this with his littermates, but you have to teach him this, as he was taken away too early. You can still teach him, it will just be tougher. You will serve at the whining littermate, haha!

My breeder told me that whenever Brandy nipped too hard, to go Ow ow ow in a loud kind of whiny voice and end all play for ten to twenty seconds. This means standing up quickly while saying Ow ow ow, then turn your back to him in dead silence. Another methond is yelping Ow ow ow, and running out of the room, and closing the door for a couple seconds (that one is more extreme, but a quicker method I think). I the first method for about ten seconds. The puppy will learn that biting too hard equals no more fun and this will catch on quickly. Brandy now will sit there with my hand in her mouth with her teeth barely touching it, just feeling around.
!
^^^^ +1 Brandy&Allison - I couldn't of conveyed it better, if I said it myself.

Soft bite can be easily learned and quickly...but you have to be maybe a bit of a pin cushion, for a few days...LOL.
The ignore principle is very short like said above...and because the pup is NOT taken out of the situation...like putting it in a crate, for being a little bugger, you still control the game and the respect that comes with it.

Whenever you have to project a loud angry voice phrase, of disapproval...your demeaner goes back to calm, after a few seconds...puppies live and learn in the "now", not the "past or future".

Thanks for the cutie photos of Rolo...sure is a handsome dude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
once again great advice everyone , and to answer the question im from walton in essex , yeah hes doing well hes had all his jabs about 3ish weeks ago , vet said hes fine for walks on the beach , hes very good as he can fetch and comes back to me by calling him , hes terrified of the sea water i would be its so cold lol , i really cant believe how big hes grown i remember going to look at him when he was 2 weeks old and i could fit him in the palm of my hand lol , so would you say there wouldnt be a problem taking him to the breeder so he can see his mum and dad and his sister the breeder kept ? i dont want to emtional damage the dog , i felt so bad taking him away from them lol and ive decided that ive fallen in love with him so much i want another dobie when rolo is around 2 or 3 , i want to get a black and tan one and call it mars bar lol ive noticed when he has naps now he sleeps at the bottom of my feet and not in his bed i googled it and they said that the dog is saying your the pack leader is this true ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know some people might be agaist it but i really want a black dobie with its ears and tail done but i know you cant get it done in the uk which countries could you ? means id have to import the dog :/

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
i know some people might be agaist it but i really want a black dobie with its ears and tail done but i know you cant get it done in the uk which countries could you ? means id have to import the dog :/
Don't worry, people here know and accept the fact that some people like crops and docks, and some like au natural better. I think Dobies look lovely either way! Brandy is cropped and docked, but I would not love her any less if she had floppy ears and a long waggly tail! It is perfectly legal in Canada and the US (and often encouraged), but I am not sure where else in the world it is legal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts