Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this today and am so happy to find other dobe lovers!. I already put up a hello posting, but I think I botched it up somehow.

we are looking for a good solid breed who breed VERY healthy dobes. prefer either US or Canada. can anyone recommend any one? I have seen some good things about Hoytt, does any one have any experience with them?

thanks
cc

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum CC. I am owned by a 7.5 month old female black/rust, Chihiro, she is very much a big spoiled baby :) Lexus will be the one to answer the Hoytt question, her baby girl is from him and is just a beautiful example of the breed (I have plans on dobernapping her someday :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the Forum CC!

I know you'll find this group of Dobe lover's a great place to come and get answer's and useful information :)

In just the few weeks I've been here everyone has helped me a great deal. I couldn't have found a better group!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lol Trac, just try ;)

Hello Codysmom and welcome to Doberman Talk first and foremost!!

You probably won't find an enthusiastic Hoytt welcome here as a whole. My girl is from Hoytt, and I couldn't be happier with her:) She has a fabulous temperament and is CGC and TDI certified (which is of course a result of good training also!). The facilities are nice, and if you were to opt for the training, the dogs are brought along in a very positive way. Very well socialized, etc... In all honestly, I didn't chose Hoytt, and while I don't have a complaint about Lexus in ANYWAY what so ever, If I was starting out just now looking for a pup, I would probably look elsewhere, if for no other reason to get the health testing to back my puppy to ensure that I had the best chance I could have to keep her around for as long as possible.

Some negatives you will hear include that he doesn't really get into the health testing. And he does breed a large amount of dogs which fall into a commercial aspect of breeding. There are other breeders out there that do get much more extensively involved in the health testing and more selective with their breeding program, which ultimately is more beneficial for continuing the the breed as a whole. Also he is big into OB training and their minds, but not into confirmation. So the dogs are not titled as a whole in the confirmation ring prior to being bred (this comes into play with making sure the dogs that are selected to breed are modeled after the breed standard).

So that is a good start on positives and negatives from someone that had close involvement with him (rather than just negatives from word of mouth.) and is able to provide an abject view of pros and cons.

All and all, there is Hoytt, and there are plenty of other breeders also, so take your time, and check out your other options as well. (that goes for any breeder choice) We have a buying guide available on this forum that can help you also, and provide valuable information in chosing a breeder.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions in regards to this :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
welcome to the fourm. i'm sure you'll find loads of help and stories from others who love their dobes and the breed. when your looking for a breeder you need to consider what you want in a dobe. some breed their dogs to look good and cant function as a dobe, others breed their dogs to work but arent the best of lookers. this is forum is a good way to ask for opinons on a breeder, you can also ask other breeders and/or exibitors for their opinions on a certain breeder. most breeders good or bad should be able to provide you with refences of people that own their dogs; this is the best way to get first hand info from someone who owns their dogs. most people dont like to admit to their flaws, so its good to hear others opinions on them be it good or bad. again welcome and good luck with the search.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for getting back to me Lexus. You baby is quite the looker - I believe I also saw her onthe Hoytt site today. I am curious about one thing, thos, you said you didn't choose Hoytt - so how didyou end up with Lexus?

I do know that I want a healthy dog. I would love to do some showing but the local club here is less that welcoming, but obedience or agility would be great - especailly agility - I know how much Cody like to play.

I am looking for a breeder that can give me a smart healthy dobe that is reasonably good looking. But I also want a breeder that I can have an ongoing relationship with, not only for adding to the family, but for questions, advice, etc.

I will keep you posted on our search. If any one there has a great breeder (or is one) please let me know.

thanks
cc

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Awwwh ,thanks for the compliment :) Dobies love to have a job, so whatever doberkid you end up with will love whatever you get involved with! I PMed you to explain how I ended up with Lex.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will find a wealth of Information, support and a bunch of people who are nutty about Dobermans.
I am the proud owner of 4 Dobermans myself. 2 black Females, 1 black Male and 1 blue female. Welcome and look forward to hearing more from you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome Codysmom to the forum. I read your post about Cody in Chaz's commemoration thread for Mavis. My sympathy to you and your family.

Sorry I can't help regarding breeders, but there is a wealth of valuable information to be had from other members.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
TracyJo said:
Welcome to the forum CC. I am owned by a 7.5 month old female black/rust, Chihiro, she is very much a big spoiled baby :) Lexus will be the one to answer the Hoytt question, her baby girl is from him and is just a beautiful example of the breed (I have plans on dobernapping her someday :)
Tracy you were suppose to keep that quiet! Now how are were going to dobernap Lexus? :( My dreams once again have been shattered... :)

Welcome to this great forum CC, I hope you like it here. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forums! =)

Personally I would not get a dog from Hoytt. As Lexus said they don't do health testing or title in conformation. Even though their dogs may be nice to look at and temperamentally sound, if they aren't health tested who knows what genetic problems may be being passed through their lines?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from the brumwolf pack here in England,
sorry i can't help with a breeder (unless you want import charges)but you will always find a friendly ear to help with any problems!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A very big thank you to all of you. you have made me feel like I am at home here. I have gotten lots of support - still trying to make it thru a day without crying - and lots of great feed back.

we are meeting with the DAR&E folks friday and if we pass the test we will adopt a doberkid and then take our time with the pup. so hopefully it won't be too long before I can share pictures of a new member of the Campbell clan.

:shhhh:
P.S. I have lots of room so if you guys need to stash Lexus - let me know:

seriously, you all have been just great.
:wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Codysmom said:
A very big thank you to all of you. you have made me feel like I am at home here. I have gotten lots of support - still trying to make it thru a day without crying - and lots of great feed back.

we are meeting with the DAR&E folks friday and if we pass the test we will adopt a doberkid and then take our time with the pup. so hopefully it won't be too long before I can share pictures of a new member of the Campbell clan.

:shhhh:
P.S. I have lots of room so if you guys need to stash Lexus - let me know:

seriously, you all have been just great.
:wavey: :wavey:
:jonkel: Heheh! You too now!!!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!! Keep us up to date on everything, we'll be thinking about you!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lexus:
I told you all that I felt at home!!.

I am getting excited and a bit aprehensive about our meeting with the DAR&E folks - I have never adopted a dog - have raised them all from pups. but I also know that the dog we could get will be a dobe and that takes a lot of the concerns out. I have never met a dobe that didn't steal my heart.

on another note, there is a new person on the flash chat, but I am not sure I my postings are getting thru - course I could be getting dissed - but I would like to be able to access it. do Ijust type in the box and hit shout or do I need to sign up for something.

thanks again for everything
Carrie

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Carrie, we have a chat room, to get to it just hit the box near the Members and calendar button on top. That will take you to our chat room. As for the flash chat, I see you got that working for you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts