Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone-

I'm very new to the doby world. I brought home my first doby last November. She is a small little red sweetheart.

I have a question about some newly arisen aggression issues with her, but am having trouble posting in other areas on the forum. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me here.

I socialized scout from the day I brought her home. She's been around many other dogs, allowed to play and what not. I also socialized her very well with other people.

But she's always had some issues with new dogs once she reached about 6 months of age. I think she gets protective around me since I'm her chosen person.

And just a few days ago, she attacked another dog. Out of nowhere she just lept at the other dogs neck and wouldn't let go. Once I got her off of the other dog, about ten minutes later she did it again this time with more aggression.

I'm not sure what to do, I've never encouraged this behavior with her and she is living with this dog now and I need to make this work or I'll have to re-home her.

ANY help is much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Some dogs just don't like other dogs :( If you plan to keep her along with the other dog you can search male/male agression for ideas how to manage it. Most info is in the male/male threads but apply to living with any dog that doesn't like or tolerate other dogs well.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Some dogs are just not dog social. You might look into the methods in Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." I've had good success using those methods, but my dog is still not dog social. She likes different dogs to varying degrees. Some dogs are completely out, some are tolerable, and some she likes. You may also look at the Behavioral Adjustment Therapy (BAT) methods.

However, if she's very, very aggressive to a housemate dog that's going to be much harder to work with. If you are very committed to training it's possible you can make it work, but even if successful I would not trust both dogs unsupervised. For now, I would "crate and rotate;" basically one dog out, the other in the crate at all times.

If you give us an idea of where you are located I'd be happy to see if I can find any Control Unleashed trainers in your area.

Edited to add: is her housemate dog a male or female? How long have they lived together? How were they introduced?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

sounds like she is a dominant girl.

is she spayed?

hormones rule us ! :)

Hugz to your Girl.....what is her name?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Scout is spayed. she's been spayed since she was around 5 months.

And I'm located in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, in the northern panhandle.

My problem is, I work a full time job plus some. I don't have the time at this moment to put into training her like I should.

I need some simple suggestions, and some honesty. Do I need to re locate her? do I need to find a different home?

I love Scout to death. It makes me cry at the thought of giving her up! I've put too much time and love into this pup to let her go.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hi, welcome to the DT.

Please don't start thinking about giving her up.
A different home? Why? I don't think that's good for her as long as she loves you and vice versa.

What you can do is to find a good trainer asap, and more important thing is to learn yourself too. Observe your dobe carefully. When and to what type of dog did your dobe show aggression?

My dobe-owner friend is exactly in the same situation, back and forth. And we warmly watch over their progress.
Good luck to you too!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry I don't have any personal helping advice, hopefully you can get it figured out. I do know that there are some knowledgeable dog trainers in Spokane.

I live in CDA also, just thought I'd say hi. Best of luck.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Just wondering here why the new dog would get to stay and Scout would have to be re-homed?? Did you bring a new dog into the home? If so, can the new dog not be taken back and then you can have time to work on Scout's issues? I have known a couple of Dobermans who did not ever allow another dog in the home without complete separation at all times. Also, be aware that the incident you mention in your first post did not happen "out of the blue". I am quite sure that Scout gave lots of warning signs that she was extremely unhappy with the new resident but you probably did not know how to read them. Is the newcomer a female too? What size dog? Puppy? And again, you have had Scout all this time, why would she had to be rehomed instead of the new dog? Just wondering if the priorities can be changed because Scout's life is about to take a possible dive to the underworld if you decide to rehome her. She obviously has guarding "issues" and that means you can't give her to just anyone. Please please think this through before you do anything. Scout was your first responsibility. JMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically, I moved into a new place with 2 other roommates. My one roommate has 2 dogs, a female and a male. so scout was actually introduced into their home, away from her comfort zone.

When I first brought her over and introduced her to her new playmates, I monitored their activity together and separated them all during feeding. She's been there for almost 3 weeks now and has gotten along very well with both other dogs. Then when I say out of the blue, I literally mean, she attacked the other dog with no other signs of aggression before. I was actually joking about how I thought scout was infatuated with the other dog, they laid together, played together and scout never left her alone. She always wanted to be affectionate. Then BOOM, just attacked her a few evenings ago.

The other dog is a female, she is 6 years old.

I realize I can't give her to anyone. But when I have moved into someone elses home and my dog is attacking theirs, I can't take that lightly. I already feel bad for having to keep her there because of the 2 other dogs. So now to have them fighting is putting a big damper in things.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am no expert, but I will give my opinion. Same sex aggression is common in this breed, as others will tell you. You could crate and rotate, but it really sounds like you already do not have the time. I would not put her on craigslist but I would look at rescues in your area, preferably a doberman rescue, to get her in a new forever stable home. They can help you with the screening to ensure a good home. It's sad, but it might be the best answer right now. :( It would be horrible if one of the two dogs go seriously injured.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I'd recommend a full vet work-up (in particular, a full thyroid panel) just to make sure nothing is wrong physically.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why don't people simply google a breed of dog before buying one?? All puppies are cute but they grow up and some grow up and are not "dog friendly" or "social butterflies" no matter how hard you socialize them or train them or wish them to be.
And if you know that you will be dealing with roomates and other dogs why not adopt a friendly and easy going dog from a shelter or rescue group rather than buy a dobe puppy from some byb???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why don't people simply google a breed of dog before buying one?? All puppies are cute but they grow up and some grow up and are not "dog friendly" or "social butterflies" no matter how hard you socialize them or train them or wish them to be.
And if you know that you will be dealing with roomates and other dogs why not adopt a friendly and easy going dog from a shelter or rescue group rather than buy a dobe puppy from some byb???
I just recently separated from my husband. I had a stable home for her. I don't anymore. I researched the breed very well before I purchased the puppy. And knew at the current state I was in, she'd be a great dog for both of us. NOT the case anymore. Sometimes life throws curveballs. Just trying to get some help on what to do NOW.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I think getting a trainer in your location would be the best start. I'm sorry, but I don't know where Coeur d'Alene is...I'd be happy to see if I can find a CU trainer in your area if you let me know where that is! I'd also suggest picking up a copy of the book in the meantime and start the exercises. Again, I also suggest a vet work-up. Sometimes strange changes in personality are because of a medical issue.

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes. Scout is spayed. she's been spayed since she was around 5 months.

And I'm located in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, in the northern panhandle.

My problem is, I work a full time job plus some. I don't have the time at this moment to put into training her like I should.

I need some simple suggestions, and some honesty. Do I need to re locate her? do I need to find a different home?

I love Scout to death. It makes me cry at the thought of giving her up! I've put too much time and love into this pup to let her go.

Thanks everyone!
Well, if you truly love your dog, not having enough time is not an excuse, you can make the time. When we brought our puppy home, I started waking up a few hours early, and staying up at night a few hours early. It sucked, but it's not impossible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think getting a trainer in your location would be the best start. I'm sorry, but I don't know where Coeur d'Alene is...I'd be happy to see if I can find a CU trainer in your area if you let me know where that is! I'd also suggest picking up a copy of the book in the meantime and start the exercises. Again, I also suggest a vet work-up. Sometimes strange changes in personality are because of a medical issue.
Coeur d'Alene is in Northern Idaho. I'm like 20 minutes east of spokane washington. Any help in finding a trainer would be MUCH appreciated. I really don't want to rehome my dog. But with my living arrangements being in such a small house its almost impossible to keep the dogs separated. And I work 10 hrs a day or so and when I'm not home, my other roommate is responsible for her. So I almost feel like I'm not spending the time with her that she deserves. She deserves much better. And thanks for the vet idea, I'll get on that as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Coeur d'Alene is in Northern Idaho. I'm like 20 minutes east of spokane washington. Any help in finding a trainer would be MUCH appreciated. I really don't want to rehome my dog. But with my living arrangements being in such a small house its almost impossible to keep the dogs separated. And I work 10 hrs a day or so and when I'm not home, my other roommate is responsible for her. So I almost feel like I'm not spending the time with her that she deserves. She deserves much better. And thanks for the vet idea, I'll get on that as soon as I can.
I've posted on the Control Unleashed list to see if I can get any leads for you.

You are in a difficult situation. If you do decide rehoming her is best (I'm not saying whether it is or isn't), please get in touch with a good rescue group. I'm hopeful I can find a trainer that can help you out and please let us know what the vet report is once she's been in. Be sure to get a full thyroid panel, not just a free T4.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
It sounds as though you know what you need to do and what's in the best interest of Scout. If she's not getting the training and emotional/physical stimulation she needs, IMHO, I would work with a reputable dobe rescue to rehome.

And I work 10 hrs a day or so and when I'm not home, my other roommate is responsible for her. So I almost feel like I'm not spending the time with her that she deserves. She deserves much better. And thanks for the vet idea, I'll get on that as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
If you decide to rehome, I would still suggest a vet work up prior to contacting a rescue. And if you surrender to rescue, please make sure you are very clear about her dog aggression issues.

Reactions: Australdi

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I found this trainer who uses C.A.T. Not the same as CU, but has been successful in treating aggression issues (without using correction methods). I'd suggest giving a call. Paw-and-Order.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts