Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across Nyx by accident from someone who rather suddenly needed to "get rid" of her 2 Doberman puppies. For whatever reason that might have been, I now consider it that I rescued her. The other was rehomed elsewhere. The "owner" had papers she would not give to me, and her birth date according to her is Jan 20 2012.

I have fallen absolutely and completely in love with her, she is the sweetest and most beautiful puppy I've ever had the luck to meet.

If her birth date is correct, she's just coming on to 15 weeks. Her last weight/height was on April 18, 26 lbs and 18". She's going again this Saturday.

So, her being my first Doberman, I'm researching like crazy and I'll probably ask a lot of questions.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
This is so sad! Well good on you for rescuing!!! Cute pup!!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! :)

I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to track down the breeder to see if there's health issues in the line. It would be good to know if I need to start planning on hip issues, etc.. Then again, if it shows up, the vet will find it, so who cares, right? I'll just take care of it then.

The other pup that was rehomed had a dock that was way too short, that's why I think it's a BYB. And Nyx has some scars.

Any suggestions on how to look if I should?

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to track down the breeder to see if there's health issues in the line. It would be good to know if I need to start planning on hip issues, etc.. Then again, if it shows up, the vet will find it, so who cares, right? I'll just take care of it then.
I'm in quite the same boat with my Java, so best of luck either way. She's just beautiful - congratulations and welcome to DT. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on the southeast coast, Boca Raton :)

I'm taking as many pics as I can, she's already getting heavier than and as tall as our 5 month old mix.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! Your girl is a cutie and it sounds like it was a good thing she found you. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Congrats on your pretty girl Nyx...and welcome to the doberman club...there is truly no other breed, like them.

Amy & her Dad say Hi, all the way from Canada.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
hopefully you'll find good information here. Just ask questions. Sort through the various answers you'll get.

Get her into some basic training classes, if for anything - the socialization. Plus the breed loves to work and 'think'. Keep her busy mentally as well as physically.

It wouldn't hurt to find the breeder, unless it's one of those newpaper ad breeders, then good luck. Otherwise, just assume you'll some issues along the way and save for them.

she's cute - all the best!

·
Socialite Dobe
10 Posts
I just showed pic of your pup to my Javelin and she got sad, too funny! Good luck, I just rescued my girl about 6 weeks ago and there is a lot to learn. Thanks to DT Im getting a lot of good info!

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Welcome to DT & congrats on your new family member.

I do think it's worth tracking down the breeder if you are able. If the breeder turns out to be ignorant of health testing, well, at least you know that. If the breeder is less than stellar, and if you can stifle the urge to strangle an ignorant breeder, you may be able to be put in contact with owners of other pups from the litter, and that can provide useful information through the years, too.

I also recommend getting a swab kit from VetGen and testing for vWD and the DCM genetic marker. The last Doberman we took in (temporarily) was vWD affected, though I'm pretty sure the breeder wouldn't know vWD from a hole in the ground.

Even if your vet charges only reasonable fees, it's most likely to be less costly to do your swabs yourself. I was able to test for both items for about what it would have cost to have my vet do just the vWD with VetGen.

Best fortune with your cute pup! Take lots of pix! They grow up FAST!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts