Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Handler
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Mike, I'm from The St.Louis metro area (IL side) 20years old. I'm a Union Laborer (any other union brothers or sisters here on DT?) I've had dogs around my whole life ( My mom was a dog groomer, and before I was born she used to own dobermans.) I've been training dogs since I was 9 years old. Not professionally or anything, but as a hobby. I've done obedience work with multiple of my personal (family, close friends) dogs, and have shed light on training for a few coworkers as well.

My first protection dog was a female 8week old rottweiler named Lexus,that I got when I was 12. My mom's ex-boyfriend gave her to me. He had bought her and her brother and was working them at the same time. And it proved to be to much for him. I finished her out. I never took her to schutzhund competitions or anything, She was mainly an obedience dog. She is now old and retired from anything remotely close to being called work, and lives with my father. (Due to my new house, my staircases and her arthritis.) I have a 3.5 year old Male Czech/Hungarian lined male Rottweiler that was my pride and joy from 10 weeks old. He went everywhere with me, He was fully obedience trained with some protection work. But when my Mom's relationship went south with her boyfriend, she ended up afraid to live alone. Long story short, my Mom ended up with my 115lb Male Rotty and my .25 ACP ;)

I recently moved out on my own back in June, And not only was I completely alone, minus a rescue cat and African Cichlids. I didn't have a dog around for the first time in my entire life. I'm sure you're all wondering where the heck the doberman thing comes into play by now?? HaHa.

I rescued a 4yr old Female Blk&Rust Dobe from my sister in-law's Aunt. They could not get her to listen to them. Darting out of the house every time the door was opened. Poor recall, was not crate trained, completely ignored them. From what I can see, they didn't give her any attention whatsoever. I now have her going in the crate on command, heeling on the lead, sit, stay, down, "truck" and she will stay inside with the door wide open. She doesn't hesitate at all when it comes to her commands, she aims to please. With a lot of positive reinforcement, plenty of repetition and a short quick pop on the lead (with just a flat collar) when needed. She was a completely different dog in 3 weeks. Amazing how that works? A working dog, wanting to work and please its master? Who'd've thunk it?

She has never got to go anywhere with them. But she goes everywhere I go now, even if it is just to the post office or to visit a neighbor. Shes an absolutely wonderful companion. And she hardly takes up any room curled up like a fawn on her arm chair! She was on the road to abandonment or euthanasia. So I stepped in and changed her life, and mine for the better. Now she can actually be a happy, healthy, loving family pet with a forever home. And actually has the chance to be a dog now! instead of some novelty pet that lives in the house.. I'm now addicted to the breed, just as much as I am with my rotties. She sleeps right next to me on the floor every night. I no longer have to go check for noises, she does it for me. Hehehe.

Excuse my rambling, Just thought I would fully introduce myself.

Hope to hear back from fellow handlers/owners!!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
From a fellow Missourian, welcome Mike. Love the name Lexus and she's a pretty girl to boot. Sounds like you are going to be a great asset to DT. Would love to know how you trained her to not dart out the door. I personally have few rules for my spoiled dogs but darting out the door and jumping out of the vehicle before I say it's ok is near the top of my list of few rules.

I think most Dobes want to please, we just need to give them a fair chance.

Reactions: Mike338

·
Handler
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KC

I didn't clarify that, Lexus is my female Rottweiler. Sasha is the dobie girl! =]

None the less, I appreciate it!

As far as the training the dog to stay in place. It's just making sure the dog understands the boundaries, and what you're telling it to do. Lots of repetition.(but not so much that you burn your dog out on wanting to work, in one lesson), space the sessions out throughout the day or whenever youre near the door. This was easy for me, because I keep a 6ft lead hanging by both of my exterior doors, at all time.

Keep the dog on a leash, Get the dog used to the door being open, and it having to stay inside. Reward the dog (with just praise, or even a treat if you must) when it stays within the boundaries set with the door open. reward the dog, but don't let it dart out. Thats never a good situation. Even if it is controlled (Lead attached.) Keep working on it, and the dog will eventually pick it up. Hopefully! The car thing is veryyyy similar.

I have a Chevy Tahoe SUV with the two rear big "barn doors" for the cargo bay. I have a extendable metal barrier ( to keep the dogs contained to the back) and a rubber mat back there (easy to clean and plenty of grip for the dogs when driving, its essentially a big mobile kennel.) Get a very short drag line ( short lead approx 1.5ft long) keep it hooked to the dogs collar in the vehicle. And tell your dog to stay, before you open the door. Open slowly if you must, While telling the dog to CLEARLY "STAY" (most dogs, if they already know the command) will stay. It may take some work. But as soon as the door is open slowly grab the lead handle, while saying stay. If the dog is already excited to jump out, the more quickly you reach for the lead, the more the dog is gonna think "hurry up and go, doors open, hes getting the leash" lol.

I hope this makes sense. You may look like an idiot working your dog from a parked car in your driveway. But with plenty of repetition and praise. Your dog should catch on quick. Its all about your dog understanding the boundaries. Whatever you do, don't punish the dog for wanting to dart out. This could further hinder the response you're wanting.

If I didn't explain it well enough, PM me? Thanks again! =D And by no means, am I trying to be a "know it all" and everyone has their own methods. This is just what has worked best for me. =]

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hi Mike! Welcome!
My hubby is a union electrician here in Ontario :nicejob:
Your dogs are all beautiful.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm not the speed reader I thought I was! So welcome Mike, Lexus and Sasha.

Reactions: Mike338

·
Handler
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

& KC; I'm more than happy to help! Any questions just PM me. I'm more than happy to give my input. And don't worry, If I don't know what I'm talking about. I just wont open my mouth! HA!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi Mile - nice looking Sasha you got there.
I enjoyed the story you shared, and how you saved her from ill fate...to a life of loving & learning, replaced being bored with next to no human attention.

From a fellow Missourian, welcome Mike. Love the name Lexus and she's a pretty girl to boot. Sounds like you are going to be a great asset to DT. Would love to know how you trained her to not dart out the door. I personally have few rules for my spoiled dogs but darting out the door and jumping out of the vehicle before I say it's ok is near the top of my list of few rules.

I think most Dobes want to please, we just need to give them a fair chance.
^^^^ What I do, is bait the dog to make the mistake & correct it ASAP.
a) stand beside the door
b) open up the door
c) when dog attempts to charge through / I block the door with my leg
d) give a hand signal & BACK command
e) shut the door now
f) command the dog to sit
g) wait 30 seconds
h) open the door again
i) repeat c) through h)
Over time, the dobe learns to walk through the door normal...at this point, I let the dog go first...I give my dobe this respect, for being good.
And I know this rules against the training books, but its all comes from having a strong and loving attitude, and the dobe knows this and who is still in charge.

I also do the open truck door think (with verbal & hand block) and practice the STAY command, for their own safety...so their not darting out into road traffic.
- now when I am at my reno site, I leave the vehicle door open for ventiliation and if I got hurt, I could yell for her....Amy loves laying in my pickup...it is comfortable

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Is that Lexus sitting in the yard? Poor girl looks way to heavy especially being an older dog with joint issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts