Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Nathan and I am new to dobermantalk. My fiance and I have just purchased a dobie pup from a breeder about an hour away from us. He is black and tan and we have come up with the name "kit". His stitches were just removed this Saturday from his cropping and he is becoming a ball of fire. This is the first doberman that I have owned, but not the first dog. I welcome any advice for a new owner and would love to hear what experienced owners have to say about this wonderful breed. Thanks.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Welcome Coach! Where are you from? I am owned by a 7 month old Black/Tan Male named Rommel. :) Also a female Boxer named Piper :) Welcome to the world of dobie puppies, there will never be a dull moment in your house!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hi Coachp! we will sure recognize any crazy antics that you come across and have questions about your dobe pup :) I am a proud owner of a 2 year old girl named Duchess and an adopted 2 year old Fearful lab mix named Coco :) Dobe pups are little balls of fire...and so make sure your firm but real positive :) and with a dobe its never to soon to start training! they are so smart and love to work :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome coach, I have two dobes, my black/rust female is 14 months old and was my first one then I added a red/rust male a few months back, he will be 6 months in a few days. I love'em, they are fun but lots of work but definitely worth it.

Have fun!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome!! Is it me or are dobermans regaining popularity? They are such a wonderful breed. I have a 4 y/o female dobie named Mako and a brand new (he joined us yesterday) male dobe 13 months named Zuess. I think the area that most people make mistakes is by not crate training their pups. Dogs are den animals and actually enjoy the security of a crate. It will also prevent doggie mishaps on the carpet. Always take your new pup outside when you first take them out the crate and bring them outside to relieve themselves often. I always also reward them with a good girl/boy. If you have kids make sure they do not allow the dog to playbite any of them or even yourself. I would use only toys. Shoes are also another issue as well as clothing etc, ya may want to keep that in mind when they are playing. Teaching them early will prevent unwanted behavoirs early. They are very oral pups,therefore a good selection of toys is very important. If you never have attended an obedience class, I would highly recommend it. You can start them right away. it will also help with bonding, just do not let a "trainer" do it for you. ohhhh and another VERY important step is sending us pics of him. :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi Nathan. Welcome from Sooz & Oscar in South Fla, and congratulations on your new addition! Love, patience, training and consistency right from the get-go are a given. This breed, more than most others, needs to respect you, so ALWAYS treat him with respect. In training, be firm but never harsh. As for the practical stuff, do yourself a favor and set boundaries while he's young. Don't let him get away with things at 9 lbs. (because he's cute) that you wouldn't want him doing at 90 lbs. (because he WILL). Also, start a medical savings account for him right now and add to it each month. Regular veterinary care is expensive enough, but emergency medical care will occur at some point and catch you off guard, so be financially prepared for it. Quality time together every day (with exercise) is easy when he's a pup; make a commitment that it will continue without interruption as he gets older. Take him with you everywhere you can. Love him like the member of the family he is.

BTW, love the name! Best of luck...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome! This is a great group of people here. You will love it! Congrats on your first Dobe. This is "my" first dobe. His name is Vegas and he is 2 and Reno is my min pin and he is 3. You can always count on some good honest opinions here. Some very knowledgeable people in the group.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Nathan and congratulations!

Raise him well and treat him right and he will easilly become an incomparable companion. What made you decide on a doberman?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome! You are in for many years of wonder, awe and happiness. I currently have two female dobies, one black - Ari, one red - Diva. Pics when you get the time.
Welcome.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the pack here in the U.K.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Welcome ;-) and congrats on the new puppy, I love the name!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Welcome to Doberman talk!!! Just love, patience, exercise, and give your dobe a job to do. I was working Lex on training and heeling by the time she was 3+ months old, and she loved it every second. Just go easy, start slow, reward lots. They love to please you and have a job, and it sets the pace for an obedient well behaved dobe in the future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I still cannot get past 4 dobermans. I am busy with the 2 I have. Panzer is a demanding lil fellow and feeding these 2 costs me more to feed than my 3 horses did.I love my dogs though and it is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! You are at the beginning of a wonderful adventure - enjoy it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts