Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey
I have to admit that my initial interest in the breed is its protective qualities. Growing up I had German shepherds, so I prefer larger dogs to begin with but I had a recent encounter that made me put more thought into why. I very stupidly gave two male acquaintances a ride home from a bar and they grabbed my phone and wallet from my hands and took off. Obviously, the entire situation could've been avoided had I not been so trusting, its not exactly my shining moment, and I have definitely learned from my mistake. I can only say that I was caught off guard by their politeness. That said, my main concern is that the situation could've been a lot worse. What if they had more in mind for me than snagging my iPhone and my wallet? I'm no match for two grown men (if that is what you want to call them) or even one teenage boy for that matter. So I started my search for a companion/guard dog. First I remembered a doberman, Gabe, that my aunt had about 15years ago. He would usually just sit on the couch with her (sit not lay) and look like he was watching tv. That dog never missed a beat. By far the smartest dog I have ever met. Even smarter than my shepherds who despite their goofy antics I consider to be pretty bright. Also one of the families that is a permanent fixture in the barn I board my horse at has a female named Sophie. She is much more goofy than Gabe, but she is still pretty young, 3 or 4 if I remember correctly...
Anyways I've set my mind, heart, and goals on getting my very own doberman this April if I can find one. In the meantime I am determined to learn as much about the breed as possible, because that's just what I do :)

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi! Welcome from Virginia! Yes they are naturally protective. :)
:wavey:

Are you looking for a puppy? Or perhaps a rescue? An older dog would do the "protecting" right away, while a puppy needs time to grow and mature.

Anyways! Good luck on your search!
:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't decided yet if I want a puppy or a rescue. I'm all for a rescue but it would have to be well socialized with other dogs and I have a young playful kitty so cats too? I am going to school right now and I know how much time and effort goes into raising a puppy...its definitely still up in the air. Need to do more research.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I haven't decided yet if I want a puppy or a rescue. I'm all for a rescue but it would have to be well socialized with other dogs and I have a young playful kitty so cats too? I am going to school right now and I know how much time and effort goes into raising a puppy...its definitely still up in the air. Need to do more research.
Welcome from Texas and kudos for doing your research ahead of time. There are many Doberman rescues throughout the country that keep their dobermans in foster homes. When there they get extra good socialization with people, other dogs, and other animals if it's appropriate. If you're considering a rescue than I'd go through this route as the rescue and the different foster parents will be able to tell you enough about the dogs to fill a book.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Welcome to Doberman Talk!

I'm so glad that you're doing your research. From what you say (you're a student, have a cat), rescue might be a good way to go. A lot of the time, rescues can see whether a dog is cat-friendly, and test that for you. A full grown dog will also be housebroken (theoretically), and have a groundwork for how to behave. And won't be a size surprise when he or she grows up!

I can definitely see and understand your reason for wanting a Doberman, and I'm glad you're taking your time instead of just going out and buying the first dog you lay eyes on to be big and mean and protect you. Slow and smart is better, and that way you can also get a good idea of the training you'll want to work on, and how to get that done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts