Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Oh LadyDi they do! I love his name!

Another pond story (lol I've got loads of them) from this summer. Sugar and I were coming out of the woods and an old biker, his leather vest had a Hell's Angels patch, was walking an unruly little white dog down the path. He says to me "wow I haven't seen a dobe in years! You have a real dog unlike my wife's dog I have here. What's his name?"

I reply Sugar.

He laughs and says " f***ing right on. That's the best name I've ever heard for a male dobe! Have a great day young lady.". 😂🤣

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Just got back from our break at the pond. This pic doesn't really do the beaver house justice because the water is frozen but here is an aerial view.

It's actually quite high and down a little hill but the snow and ice make it look small. In the spring they will fix it up even higher as they do every year.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
That does them no good now!!
So wher do the beavers live, in that pile of sticks???That water looks frozen.
City slicker here I need to learn these things.....

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
LadyDi lol. I'm a city slicker too and live in a suburban subdivision but I'm blessed to have this beautiful escape from reality.

When I was a little girl I remember doing a project in school about beavers. Their lodge (house) can be quite elaborate under the water. The sticks and trees are the top or roof. The one end of the pond never freezes so they can get out of the water at that end.

I never thought as an adult I would have real life encounters with them! My raw dog food store sells beaver but I never fed it to Coco nor will I feed it to Sugar. Something about it is too close to home for me lol.

I googled some pics to show you!

That's why I don't see them much. They spend a lot of time underwater and that's how they enter their house. An evening nature lesson for you ☺

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,864 Posts
That is why beavers build dams. The dam forms an artificial lake in a running stream which allows the beaver to move back and forth under the water more safely. The growth of seedling plants that they eat--the twigs and bark of young trees as well as roots and leaves of water plants like cattails and reeds--is encouraged in a lake/marshy environment, and the pond does not freeze all of the way through in the winter, so they can move in and out of their home under the ice. They will harvest twigs and branches throughout the summer and store them underwater as a food source during the winter, bringing them into their lodge to eat.

They are strict herbivores so do not eat fish, but the ponds they make provide a good habitat for other water creatures.

In the summer, their lodge is also a safe place protected from predators by the surrounding water.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Hi guys Sugar here. We got quite a bit of snow so our walks at the pond have been through deep snow! I'm glad I've got my coat but the bottom of me gets cold like my feet and my butt! Maybe I need a full snowsuit 😜.

Mama and I had an adventure today. We walked a little on the ice! No one was playing hockey so we ventured out. Mama was nervous but I was raring to go make new memories. Mama and Coco never did this together before!

First we just walked along the side and mama told me if she said jump I needed to jump fast. I practiced a few times and off we went.

We were going to take a pic of the beaver house for LadyDi from the ice but some kids came to play hockey there so we will try again another day.

Mama only got a couple of pics because she wanted to pay attention for our safety. Good thing mama's brain is bigger than mine 🤣😂.

Then I was tired and had a nap. Adventures make you sleepy.

Mama here. I love making new memories with you my sweet boy. To many more years of adventures at the pond. 💙💜

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Man o man I love that pond.Thanks for thinking of me and trying to get some “beaver shots”!!!! Ba ha ha ha !!!!!
Now you be a good boy for Mama this weekend Sugar and maybe you will get some tasty treats.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts