Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,646 Posts
greenkouki said:
I'm curious though, don't most breeders crop all pups unless they are definite "companion" (err pet) quality animals? Good luck once again and it seems your breeder is helpin out alot, hope everything turns out well.
Actually most reputable breeders crop all pups even pet quality ones. If the pup for some reason ever ends up in rescue the cropped ones tend to be adopted quicker. The length of the ear crop is just an excuse to save the breeder money. If a breeder is truely breeding to the standard then thye should crop to the length they feel looks best. Afterall, they are suppose to be breeding to what they intrepret the standard to be and the standard does call for cropped ears.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
first off having their ears cropped doesnt make them a reputable breeder.... that needs to be said first off... because some people DO NOT like cropped and some breeders dont either... so dont say a reputible breeder does that because i know a lot of dober breeders and some dont do that because as she said... the breeder wants the owner to let the owners decide because ultimately it is there PET no matter whether they are show or not...
Name one reputable Doberman breeder that doesn't crop. You say you know alot, just name one.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
TracyJo said:
Is sarcasm absolutely needed? CoAls-Mom you are obviously very knowledgable of this breed and have a wealth of information to share; however, more often than not you come off very harsh. Have you ever heard that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Or, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all... Do you honestly think that people will "listen" to you if you constantly chastise those who don't know as much as you or don't agree with you?
Apollo's mom came in looking for support and advice not criticism or sarcasm. Lighten up a little, will ya?
My sarcasm stems from defensiveness and uneducablility (if that is a word) of others.
I've heard of the 2 phrases you mentioned but don't believe in them. My first post in this thread was not harsh, was not sarcastic and yet the OP gets defensive. I offer advise when I can and I also offer education when I can. If you don't like my delivery, please feel free to ignore.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
TracyJo said:
I don't think I can ignore it though when you are just being nasty to those who are innocent. I doubt that "uneducability" is an actual word and it is my belief that nobody is beyond education. If you feel as though you can't educate people maybe you need to step back and look at how you deliver your information. In addition, the OP didn't get defensive until you retorted with a nasty, sarcastic comment. A little bit of diplomacy goes a long way.... How about the saying "sarcasm is a tool of the weak", have you heard that one?
Actually I should have used "INeducability". I never said I didn't feel like I could educate people. There are some people however that don't want to learn. and I'm not saying that is the case with the OP. If you honestly believe that there are people out there that aren't beyond education, then all I have to say is you haven't been on the boards long enough!
And no I haven't heard of your latest quote and don't believe it either! Like I said, I wasn't sarcastic in my first post on this thread. What actually came out as sarcastic was just giving up trying to explain. Nobody like to hear that their breeder isn't topnotch and come back with, but this and but that and I get tired of it.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
TracyJo said:
Then maybe for your own peace of mind take a step back and a break from the boards that frustrate you... I haven't seen in this particular thread or with this particular person where you have tried to explain or educate. Not sure how you can rationalize giving up on one person because others have been difficult.
I tried to explain in my first post on the first page about how reputable breeders crop ears.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
IloveMyDobie31 said:
There's no need for you to apologize. You aren't responsible for other people's actions. I'm sure people mean well...but you're right, I'm not sure how the focus shifted to the breeder. The fact is, people do have different opinions, and different ways of expressing them. I should also probably learn to take criticism better.

Either way, thanks for the apology.

It's very common on message boards for topics to go in other directions. Some threads even go way more off topic than this did.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
not all reputable breeders crop ears.... i know some breeders who crop who should be shot...so how does that even out... i guess you base your reputation on whether you crop ears... im guessing and not just attacking you CoAls that you pick your doberman breeder solely on whether they crop ears because that is basically what you are saying... here... if i am not mistaken..:D
you are mistaken

· Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
but see... sarcasism is caused by defensiveness... you have no other way to say it without getting sarcastic... which means you dont what else to do except get defensive and sarcastic... but...some people do that... and dont realize it... not saying you do but... that is how you sound when you get sarcastic is that you are very defensive and i say this because 95% of the time your not wrong but there are times all of us are and when you think you are wrong you get defensive and sarcastic...
Hard post to follow, but no I don't think I am wrong about choosing a breeder that crops so I did not get defensive. Of course there are other factors involved in selecting a breeder besides just cropping ears. That would be silly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.