Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo gets his ears cropped Thursday! I'm excited...but at the same time, I'm really nervous. I found a really great vet that's experienced with Dobie ear cropping. She's very helpful, and has Dobermans herself. We were a little concerned that his age (now 14 weeks) might present a problem since she recommends not cropping after 12 weeks, but she examined his ears and said a medium length crop would be ok. So, I have to drop him off tomorrow morning, they're going to do the surgery on Thursday morning, and I'll be picking him up Friday. I contacted the breeder and let her know what's going on, and she gave me some advice and said I could call her with any questions and whatnot...but I guess I'm just worried that I'll somehow mess up his ears. I've heard so many stories about crops gone wrong, and about the ears just not wanting to stand on some dogs...I guess it just worries me. So...basically, any words of encouragement and reassurance would be great...thanks :)

·
Banned
375 Posts
that is awesome and im happy for ou... it is great... alittle crazy but great... dont let him rub and shake because it can bleed alittle. but when i get home ill let you knwo what i am doing with the dobes now...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!...i hope it works with no major problems.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is the breeder familar with ear aftercare? Why did she not have them cropped? I only ask because usually the best source for ear posting is the breeder. Though it sounds like you have found an experienced vet who can help you along.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly with your pup!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i was checking out different breeders, i asked her why the ears weren't done before, and she said she allows the new owner to chose the ear cropping style because people have different preferences, so she only has the tails done. but she's been very helpful in answering all my questions and staying in touch. she is familiar with the aftercare, and said she'd help me as much as possible. so...i guess i shouldn't be worried, but i still am because i can't watch him 24/7, and i'm worried something will go wrong while i'm not there to watch :-/

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
greenkouki said:
I'm curious though, don't most breeders crop all pups unless they are definite "companion" (err pet) quality animals? Good luck once again and it seems your breeder is helpin out alot, hope everything turns out well.
Actually most reputable breeders crop all pups even pet quality ones. If the pup for some reason ever ends up in rescue the cropped ones tend to be adopted quicker. The length of the ear crop is just an excuse to save the breeder money. If a breeder is truely breeding to the standard then thye should crop to the length they feel looks best. Afterall, they are suppose to be breeding to what they intrepret the standard to be and the standard does call for cropped ears.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well...for whatever reason, she does not crop the ears before the puppies go to their new homes. but, like I said, she has been really helpfull from day one, so the fact that she didn't do it doesn't really concern me all that much. now, if she just threw the puppy at me and said, "good luck!"....I'd be a little worried about her.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
p.s. I was also given a full health guarentee, and a pedigree...so she can't be that horrible of a breeder right??

·
Banned
375 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Actually most reputable breeders crop all pups even pet quality ones. If the pup for some reason ever ends up in rescue the cropped ones tend to be adopted quicker. The length of the ear crop is just an excuse to save the breeder money. If a breeder is truely breeding to the standard then thye should crop to the length they feel looks best. Afterall, they are suppose to be breeding to what they intrepret the standard to be and the standard does call for cropped ears.

first off having their ears cropped doesnt make them a reputable breeder.... that needs to be said first off... because some people DO NOT like cropped and some breeders dont either... so dont say a reputible breeder does that because i know a lot of dober breeders and some dont do that because as she said... the breeder wants the owner to let the owners decide because ultimately it is there PET no matter whether they are show or not...

·
Registered
265 Posts
good luck and hope everything goes well :) Some ppl just let the new owners decide on wether or not to crop..i know i prefer the natural ears...but either is fine with me.

·
Banned
375 Posts
okay both my dobes are currently cropped right now. they are tapped up... if you have questions about what i have done with mine by all means ask.. i just tolerate them... i only take their bandages off for two days so the ear canal can air out but i tape them up right within just a day or two. i clean their ears with CET ear cleaner from my vets office and then i wash the mineral oil off their heads and outside ears with bandaid antiseptic cleaner... any other questions

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks! I just spoke to the vet, and since I dropped him off this morning, they decided to go ahead with the surger around noon. She said everything went great, and he's doing just fine :) I get to pick him up tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
IloveMyDobie31 said:
p.s. I was also given a full health guarentee, and a pedigree...so she can't be that horrible of a breeder right??
Oh wow, I'm sorry. A FULL health guarentee AND a pedigree? You are right. You have a great breeder.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
first off having their ears cropped doesnt make them a reputable breeder.... that needs to be said first off... because some people DO NOT like cropped and some breeders dont either... so dont say a reputible breeder does that because i know a lot of dober breeders and some dont do that because as she said... the breeder wants the owner to let the owners decide because ultimately it is there PET no matter whether they are show or not...
Name one reputable Doberman breeder that doesn't crop. You say you know alot, just name one.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Oh wow, I'm sorry. A FULL health guarentee AND a pedigree? You are right. You have a great breeder.
Is sarcasm absolutely needed? CoAls-Mom you are obviously very knowledgable of this breed and have a wealth of information to share; however, more often than not you come off very harsh. Have you ever heard that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Or, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all... Do you honestly think that people will "listen" to you if you constantly chastise those who don't know as much as you or don't agree with you?
Apollo's mom came in looking for support and advice not criticism or sarcasm. Lighten up a little, will ya?

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
I always seem to start an argument somehow on whatever forum i go on :( I agree with you however coalsmom, because breeders do not breed to produce puppies, they breed to further define the breed and the pups that can not be used in the program are soley byproducts. When a breeder knows pups in the litter have a chance of advancing the breed, including showing, getting ch. points, and breeding, one should always consider cropping the dogs for show, and although it is not impossible, it is hard for an uncropped dog to win against cropped dogs. i'm sure your pup will have sharper look now, and it's good that you had it cropped.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts