Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used one of these and compare to the traditional prong collars? I am currently using the traditional Sprenger prong collar but just forked out the money for one of these to try for the not so medieval torture look. I think this one looks more like a traditional flat collar and wouldn't warrant as many, "you are being so cruel to your already mean (stereotyped) dog" looks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have one, but it's the martingale type, like the original prong. Doesn't have the same effectiveness as the traditional prong, but if your dog is relatively obedient to start with, and doesn't require much in the way of correction, it's adequate. Looks much better on. Less noticeable. Here is Dylan...

I have no idea how the dead collar would work. I'm guessing they'd feel it, but without the action of the martingale, I'm not sure any kind of correction would be effective. In my mind, why have it at all if you can't issue a correction. It's just a flat collar with metal points.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine the same place you bought yours... He is VERY responsive to the traditional prong so I was hoping this may just be a step down the ladder. We are about to start advanced OB and will be working mainly off leash on what we have already learned in intermediate. The trainer somewhat frowns on prong collars, but I sent her several articles comparing to choke chains and she is getting better about them. My personal opinion is if more people used them to train their dogs for leash walking, regardless of strength level and size of the dog there would be fewer owner/walker injuries that I have read about on here. I would almost bet a 5 yr old could walk my 9 month old Dobe with the prong collar on him because it is literally power steering for your pup.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I like the traditional HS prong better as the correction is faster and my goal is to teach them, and then get them out of the prong collar. If I had a dog that always needed a prong then it would be fine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jack has one of those collars, but we rarely use it. We find it fairly ineffective compared with a standard prong on a dog who is quite capable of driving through corrections. But I know another Dobe owner who uses only that style of prong, and it works beautifully with his dog, who is less . . . well . . . rambunctious. So it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I use them because they're less harsh than regular prongs. Work great for my dogs. :)

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
I have a neck tech also and agree the traditional prong works better for pulling. I only really use the neck tech instead of my traditional HS prong because it stays in place better, is easier to put on and take off, and looks better.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
From what I have read and it makes sense that this one, might not be as effective as say the traditional one.
I have a traditional prong, and I am waiting to be properly trained with it. I do like this one, as the Trainer had one and it didnt look as evil as the traditional one.
My ultimate goal is to get Nubis, to the stage that corrections will not be needed, however in the mean time, I would like to first get him started on the prong, then the neck tech and ultimately no training aid.
By reading on here, my attitude toward the prong changed however i just needed to be properly trained with it right from the getgo.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
At what age is it appropriate to start training with a prong collar?
Thats funny you ask that, I thought that too....but this past weekend, I seen the most behaved, less barky Yorkie with one on. Nice dogs, but their barking nonstop drives me crazy... I was actually even surprised they came in that size.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At what age is it appropriate to start training with a prong collar?
****'s trainer at the K9 academy he attends would not allow anything other than a flat collar until > 6 mos. Now, am I saying that is the golden age, no, not at all. She just said neck correction on a younger pup could shut them down where they will just quit on you during training. Again, that just coming from someone who is a certified trainer and been doing it for 25 years. The secret to the prong is let the dog pull into it and don't correct it yourself by jerking like you might with a choke chain.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
are you referring to the neck tech collar? I haven't used the martingale neck tech so I can't say if the correction level is better or not. I've never had an issue with my one click collar coming apart.

I do know the correction level on the neck tech is several levels lower than a regular prong. I still prefer my regular prong over the neck tech, due to Sam's squirrel obsession.

I also seen one with the martingale setup, which one is better?
Reading reviews on the one click setup, they were saying on occasion, it has released.
Excuse my ignorance, I am new to the prong.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
This is the one i seen , but it was in black.
Herm Sprenger Neck-Tech Martingale Style Collar
again, i am new to this, but the neck tech, reminds me of a flat collar, compared to say a martingale, where is a similar style to a choke collar. When i used the choker, if all went well, they understand, that the collar being loose is a good thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is the one i seen , but it was in black.
Herm Sprenger Neck-Tech Martingale Style Collar
again, i am new to this, but the neck tech, reminds me of a flat collar, compared to say a martingale, where is a similar style to a choke collar. When i used the choker, if all went well, they understand, that the collar being loose is a good thing.
the martingale is the type like the poster is showing in the actual pics above on the good looking red. I bought the more traditional flat collar one so he can wear it to school without me getting mean looks from others.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts