Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
jump like a deer
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I have some questions about heritable eye disease. I've been looking at the CERF site but was wondering if more experienced people could explain some things.

Is the phrase 'heritable eye disease' something that covers mutliple types of diseases that can effect a dog's eye or is it the name of one specific disease?

When would symptoms/problems from it show up, at any time or is it something that a dog can have from birth?

In what ways can it effect the dog?

Are there eye diseases out there that are prevalent in Dobermans?

Thank you for your help

·
jump like a deer
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the big one for Dobermans is progressive retinal atrophy. It's an inheritable eye disease that progressives over a period time and eventually leads to blindness.
Oh okay, I just wanted to know. Thank you!
That's pretty awful though, has anybody here had experience with that happening? Does it happen a lot? I feel like I haven't heard that much about it.

·
Premium Member
10,127 Posts
Dobes tend to have pretty healthy eyes. PRA (the progressive retinal atrophy) used to be referred to as the Dutch eye disease because it showed up most frequently in european Dobermans from the Dutch population.

In the USA 50 years ago you almost never saw it except in an imported dog. About 15 years ago a vet that I know who is an vet opthamologist and does a lot of the CERF clinics in the Pacific Northwest told me he was starting to see the occasional Dobe with PRA--and that every one he'd seen was from half Euro breeding where in the past he saw one only occasionally and then it was virtually always from a Euro import.

By now I'm sure that with the influx of more Euro dogs and the fact that Kimbertal has been importing euro dogs and since they don't have the best reputation for health testing I'd be willing to believe it's become more common.

But as far as inherited eye conditions go Dobes have a pretty decent track record.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I believe the big one for Dobermans is progressive retinal atrophy. It's an inheritable eye disease that progressives over a period time and eventually leads to blindness.

PRA is a HUGE problem in many breeds, but not in dobermans. The eye disease seen in dobermans is PHTVL/PHPV, and it's pretty much only seen in European dobermans.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hey everybody,

I have some questions about heritable eye disease. I've been looking at the CERF site but was wondering if more experienced people could explain some things.

Is the phrase 'heritable eye disease' something that covers mutliple types of diseases that can effect a dog's eye or is it the name of one specific disease?

When would symptoms/problems from it show up, at any time or is it something that a dog can have from birth?

In what ways can it effect the dog?

Are there eye diseases out there that are prevalent in Dobermans?

Thank you for your help
Yes, heritable eye diseases is a phrase that covers a number of different diseases. What eye diseases might be found in different breeds varies by breed. When a disease can be detected also varies by disease-some can be detected very early in life, some are late onset diseases.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts