Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
**cookies mum**
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.....

up until 2 days ago cookie was good on the lead when we went for a walk...now the last 2 days she has started grabbing the lead and pulling and wanting to play!!! how can i stop her doing it? never had a dog thats done it before so dont really know how to go about stopping it!!......iv tried distracting her with a toy but doesnt work!...xx

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Most likely teething and wants to chew and tug... plus she's a baby and wants to play. Try playing with her for a little while before you go for a walk so her tugging and chewing are satisfied... but not till she's too tired for a short walk. You want to keep everything short and sweet at first so she doesn't get bored or frustrated. But it's common for puppies to resist leash training... do lots of "motivational speaking"!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem, what i personally did was command "HEY" in a really deep voice & simply bopped him on the nose with it an commanded "NO". It took him a couple times but he learned fast and didnt want the angry voice. There smart dogs, they learn anything you teach them. You cant be too nice but also you cant be mean. Just be firm! hope my personal experciance helps a bit!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
This happens quite a lot in training class for some of the dogs when they get excited and want to play. I find it works best if you immediately stop everything you're doing (so if yore walking, stop talking) and make a corrective noise (ah-ah, NO ect) and make sure the fun doesn't resume until the biting the lead has stopped. You could also re-direct the biting on one of her toys and then praise her for chewing her toy.

Is it always in the same part of the walk, or just random parts? If its always in the same place, you could also look if it could be a fear reaction. Is there anything that could be spooking her there, if you take another route does it still happen?

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ahh, this brings back memories.
Baby Garth was hell on wheels. When I tried to walk him he would grab the leash and drag me down the sidewalk. (usually heading straight for Dairy Queen and a kiddie cone)
I tried voice commands, and I tried to wrestle the lead from him. ya right.

This was many years ago, and I have learned a lot since then.

The only way I could walk him was to put a muzzle on him for the beginning of the walk. That way he seemed to settle right down and focus on walking instead of turning back to take the leash. After 10 minutes I could remove the muzzle and he was fine.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Have you tried something like Bitter Apple? One taste might convince her that that lead is not something she wants in her mouth.

Reactions: Amelia_

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Have you tried a high value toy that is only used for walks? Find a special toy that stays in the car, not something from the home toy inventory.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I think lolonurse is right, excersise/play a little first then try to walk. PRAISE her when she is doing what you want her to do like not touch the leash. Try clicker training, and lots of treats to get her attention on you and rewards instead of hitting or yelling no or whatever.

Reactions: charly and Amelia_

·
Registered
92 Posts
Duchess did this when something frightened her on a walk-of course at first EVERYTHING frightened her. She was a lot older than your pup-she was 11 months. I've also heard that it can be an attempt at dominence-trying to lead you where they want to go.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
like this?

_1100304 by $$$Cooper$$$, on Flickr

_DSC7547 by $$$Cooper$$$, on Flickr

I'll watch this thread for any advise
I practice "give them what they want and make it so they don't like it" at moments like that. I pull the leash INTO their mouth, kinda like a bit on a horse, so it pinches their lips. Make it uncomfortable enough, and they won't want to do it too many more times.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I practice "give them what they want and make it so they don't like it" at moments like that. I pull the leash INTO their mouth, kinda like a bit on a horse, so it pinches their lips. Make it uncomfortable enough, and they won't want to do it too many more times.
oops.... he LIKES that.... but this dog likes odd things :(

·
**cookies mum**
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all your advice....it is deff a play thing and no routine to it lol....iv tried useing a high value toy but she just wants the lead lol...i will give treats ago tomorrow...

was also thinking of getting a chain lead aswell Amelia....

thanks guys....xx

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Nubis tried that trick a few times.
How I solved it, I started with his lead when he was a pup. Once he grabbed on it, I let him have it and then I clipped on his regular lead and continued walking. He quickly learned its hard to hold onto two leads. The game isn't much fun then.
As someone else stated, my next was to purchase a chain lead but he grew out of it rather quickly. But WHEN I CHOOSE, I let him grab the lead and we relive his younger puppy daze. But then I'll say enuf, lets walk . LOL.

Reactions: BulletsGirl
1 - 16 of 16 Posts