Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all it has been a while since I posted here but I have a problem. My doberman tore something in his knee at the end of 2011. I have had my vet look at him twice and got two sets of xrays. He was almost 100% that something in his knee was ripped or torn. I am in no position economically to get surgery so I decided to keep him as immobile as possible. He has had his ups and downs but for the most part was doing alright. I just started taking him on really short walks about a week ago. Well this morning we were out in the backyard and he had a spurt of energy and went running around. He all of sudden picked up his back leg (the bad one) which is something he hasn't done in a while. When he tried to use it, it made a popping sound and he just stopped. Now he won't move at all and I had to help him to lay down. I'll called my vet and am waiting for him to return my call...but I am freaking out. I have no idea what just happened.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is there anything I can do for him right now. He is either laying down or standing up but he is not moving at all. Can I ice the knee or use a heat pad or should I just leave him be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am waiting for my vet to call me back. I made the earliest appointment I could but that wasn't until Tuesday. I could probably take him in and have another vet look at him today which is something I might do. My vet knows what is going on with him though and I prefer for him to see him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, my vet is going to see him in a couple hours (he just called). I appreciate your replies, thank you. I have been trying to deal with this injury since Dec. and it has been getting better, but the popping and all of sudden turn of events just threw me into a tale spin.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It sounds like the original injury just got a heck of a lot worse, with more damage done. I hope not, but it doesnt sound good at all. Please let us know whats up with your boy. Sorry.:(

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Only small breeds have a good chance at recovery from just rest from a torn ACL. Any dog over 30lbs should opt for the surgery. It's sad to say, but judging from what your describing, crate rest is not going to cut it. If you leave it, the joint slips forward, causing wear and tear, incredible pain, and crippling arthritis.

Sorry to be a Debby downer, but its something I see all to often with larger dogs :(

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So he re-injured his knee, but we all knew that already. The problem I have with surgery is simply financial. When I welcomed Ollie into my life I was married and had a great job. As of right now I have no marriage or job. I was let go from my job because of the economy and went back to school to finish a degree. I am as broke as I have ever been, so dropping $3,500 on a surgery is not even an option right now. However Ollie is the only child my ex and I had and we might try to pool our resources together to get him surgery. As of right now, he is on some anti-inflammatory and mild pain pills.

I have a few options in front of me and I will do my best to walk through them as they reveal themselves. My vet believes that Ollie will get back to where he was prior to this morning fairly quickly as he did not think that the knee was much worse, just that Ollie tweaked it. So I am going to keep him down for the next couple of days while he goes through the meds. I will then go back to what I was doing a few months ago (conservative treatment), but in addition I am going to have him see the surgeon. The idea is that if the surgeon sees anything that my vet has yet to see it will further illuminate the issue but also if I can pull enough money together I can get him into surgery quicker and cleaner because he will already be in their system with a preliminary check up.

I am in a tough spot because he is my boy, he needs to have surgery and I don't have the money to pay for it. I talked at length to my vet about life without a surgery in terms of Ollie but also in terms of morality. I understand that a surgery is what he needs but I also know that he can get to a level of acceptable existence if the chips do not fall in our favor...the bottom line for me is that I worked for about 6 months and was able to get him to a spot where we could take small walks and his movement and personality was unharmed...my heart is also broken right now because I cannot provide for him what he truly needs. Hopefully I can find some sort of work and save some money with the help of the ex and when the next semester starts (August) I can use my grants to fill in the missing chunk of change and we all can move forward. Thanks for the replies, I am doing what I can to make Ollie's life as good as it can be...after this morning that looks like this.

100_0024.jpg

100_0021.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
You might try contacting Special Needs Dobermans - they are sometimes able to provide financial assistance: Special Needs Dobermans - Helping Owned AND Rescue Dobes!

You could also look into Care Credit. There are financing options there.

If none of that will work and you can't get the money together, I hate to say it but I think you should place your dog with a rescue that can get him the medical attention he needs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok for any who are interested. I have been doing my best to make this work. I am setting up an appointment with the surgeon sometime today. I have set up some donation/fund raising things and have been getting some responses which is making me feel a bit more optimistic. While I will reluctantly give Ollie to a rescue, it will be the last thing I do period. I am not selfish enough to keep him in pain for my own gain, but he is my boy and I will do a heck of a lot to avoid giving him up. I know I am not an active member here but I wanted to post the link for the online donation I have set up in case anyone here feels like throwing in a couple of bucks to the cause. Thanks for all your help again. The last time I came here was when my first dobe passed and I was welcoming Ollie into my life. I am sorry that I only come here during a crisis, as dobes are the end all be all for me, but I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been for me.

Here is the link for Ollie's Knee Fund
Help Ollie's knee
FWIW the total at the bottom of the page will be updated frequently. It says $341 right now because that is what I have secured, but there have been offers made to me that bring the total up to about $2000 but they are offers as of right now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Stem cell

Did you look into this, less invasive and less $$$$. Try this website vet-stem . One of my past Dobes had a torn ACL. The holistic vet put her on Meridian Comfort, stopped limping. Her knee wasn't torn bad tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so managed to round up enough money for a TPLO. Ollie went in yesterday and will be picked up this afternoon. He made it through surgery just fine. He had a full rupture of the ligament and a torn meniscus (that was making the popping sound that was sending knives of fire into my heart). The vet said he was in good spirits this morning and even put a little weight on the leg when they took him out to go potty. I hope he/I never have to go through this again, but at least now I know.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
my dog has a bad leg and is on joint supplements=glucosimine-chondriton and pain killer
but his problem is arthritis and an injury from before I found him

but the joint supplements really help-I"m sure your vet
will let you know if your dog can benefit ==good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts