Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 month old boy is making me NUTS ! I was so used to Tank being so...good ?! This guy is driving me up a wall. Tearing laces out of tennis shoes , clawing at door panels , anddd the lovely digging ! Any ideas or suggestions would be GREAT! It's to the point i'm looking into in-kennel training and I don't wanna do that but I also don't want to be so crazy that our relationship becomes toxic.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Maybe he's getting too much freedom too early? Don't let him be alone in the kinds of situations where he can get into trouble, until he won't get in trouble. Sounds like normal unsupervised puppy behavior to me...

What's his daily routine like, how often do you train, do you do any sports, how does he get mental stimulation? What training methods are you familiar with?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
For his own good and safety crate while in teenagerhood you sure do not want to have to come up with $5,000.00 for an obstruction surgery or a dead dog.Creates & x-pens are great Buddy was crated until he was 2 & 3 months old wanted to be safe not sorry.Good Luck

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Everybody else said it first!

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Maybe do some trick training in addition to the obedience, to keep him mentally occupied.

Crate training is a great idea.

Also, stop feeding from bowls for a little while. Get a couple of BIG kongs, fill with his kibble and some yogurt or cottage cheese or something, plug with peanut butter, freeze. Now he has to sing..I mean work...for his supper!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
For digging, don't let him outside unsupervised. It's a pain in the butt, but it's the ONLY Way I've found to stop digging.

In addition to exercise, teach him how to settle. Can he lay down and relax even for short periods? With a kong or bone?

This is a common age I see people start to get frustrated when their previously behaved puppy has had more freedom. They hit 8-10 months and WHAM devil dog appears :)

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I just have to repeat, exercise, training, exercise, training, oh and did I mention exercise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, stop feeding from bowls for a little while. Get a couple of BIG kongs, fill with his kibble and some yogurt or cottage cheese or something, plug with peanut butter, freeze. Now he has to sing..I mean work...for his supper!
I really like the large purple leo Kong toy for filling. I cut a natural balance food roll into pieces that had to be really shoved through the opening and wouldn't come out too easily. That toy was in the mouth of one of my dogs ALL day, they would work at it for hours! It was great!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.