Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyson is getting these weird bumps all over his body. They look like dry skin scabs. Is this normal since its starting to get colder outside? Anyone else have had this happen to their dog? What should I do to fix/help it?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
My guys get flaky in winter. I use a leave on spray conditioner that is tea tree oil based. My dogs are both fawns, never had the problem on my black dogs. Is your dog a dilute color?

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
No, not normal. I'd make an appointment with the vet.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
You can suppliment with fishoil caps. 1 for each 20 lbs of bodyweight and try to give him bath with Duxo chlorhexidin shampoo and maybe get a skinscrap done at the vet.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Second MeadowCats opinion. Get to a vet. Could be a variety of things, yeast infection of the skin comes to mind, allergies, but a vet can help you out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to try everything I can before I go to the vet. Especially since this isn't life threatening. He isn't itching at them either so it isn't a rash.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
If you post a picture that might help.

There's a pretty big difference between dry skin/dandruff and something that seems more like sores/scabs. What food does he eat? Any new treats or things in his environment lately that may have produced some kind of allergic reaction? Is he on any supplements?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It isn't dandruff. They look like little scabs. No supplements and nothing new has changed. Just started getting them when it started to get colder outside. He eats taste of the wild lamb. He's eaten that for over 1 year now and never had a problem with it. No new treats. Only thing I can think of is since its harvest time it could be an allergic reaction to something outside?

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
It could be a staph infection. Go to the vet just in case - agreed, scabs are different than just itchy dry skin.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes, post pictures. Is he an only dog, could they be play cuts? My three have them all over from play. Is he a digger where he could have been after critters in the ground or has he been around new strange dogs? Could be a fungus, ringworm, etc. I suggest spending $40 and take him to the vet if they are truly all over his body. Lamisil helps with a fungus. What do you feed him?

KC/Linda

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
Sound more like staph--staph infections are common in young Dobes--he's what? a year and a half? Staph often shows up as bumps which come to a head, open and then form a scab which falls off leaving a small bare spot. It tends to either get worse and the dog looses more hair until you finally take him to the vet because now he probably needs antibiotics to clear up the infection.

Early staph infections can sometimes be cleared up with a medicated shampoo.

Or, it could be something else entirely. But if he had little scabs all over I'd figure that was reason enough for a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If its something that isnt normal I would have it checked by the vet. The earlier something is caught and treated the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts