Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 6 week old pup...DObie of course....

under his skin, "like where the mom would pick him up from"...scruff of the neck, where all the extra skin is......
I can feel a little ball, half the size of a marble.
It's kinda wierd I thought. you have to pull up on the skin, like you were lifting him up, and feel around, but there is definately a little ball there you can move back and forth an inch or so......Is this something serious?

He doesn't cry or anything when you do it....but has me worried.....

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
...Duchess got a little dime sized ball on the back of her neck in between her shoulderblades from her rabies shot...it went away...but could it be that? I dont know how young they get their first rabies shot...
It went away...it was just a reaction.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Have you spoken to the breeder? if you went to a reputable breeder they will be able to let you know if he has been chipped? that's where chips get inserted - should feel like a grain of rice.

check his skin - sometimes dobes get bumps on their skin, almost like a pimple, but no pus. if you just got the pup you should be taking him/her to the vet w/i the first 24-48 hours just to make sure i'ts OK, you can have your vet check it out then. every reputable breeder will want you to have the pup checked by your own vet.

cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Tia had something like that and it was a reaction to a shot,but i would take puppy to the vets just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the vet, he said to bring her in tomorrow. He said it is unlikely that a pup would have a problem that young. I hope he is right....

I did feel it again, it is attatched to the skin underneath, not the bones or body.
I called the breeder, and she said the 1st set of shots were done on the bum area.
I am so worried, I don't want him having problems this young....

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Burghguy said:
I am so worried, I don't want him having problems this young....

Honestly, if you don't want a puppy with problems, you never should have brought home a 6 week old puppy. They should be with their littermates until at least 8 weeks - this is a very important time in learning interaction / manners with other dogs through their littermates and mother. It is SO important that some states have laws against selling puppies before 8 weeks.

Not to mention that the breeder should still actively be socializing the puppies to all kinds of stimuli within the litter of puppies.

I'm sorry, but good breeders don't let puppies go at 6 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts