Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doberman puppy Reino is now 5months old and only knows sit, he is capable of learning other tricks but he is to easily distracted. I want to teach him how to stay, and lay down. Can I have any tips? Also how can I keep his attention better? I use treats to reward him but that only goes so far now. Help Please!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Use different types of treats and toys to keep his attention. Change it up A LOT so he never knows what your going to do next (give him a jackpot, play tug, etc)

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
Find something he really likes. Max loves jerky type treats. Strong smell. I broke them into little bites. He'd do anything for them.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
well my new addition ruby is only 6 months and in 2 weeks i have taught her sit down stay and leave it !! we dont often use treats.

sit is easy..

to down go from a sit.. put a treat in front of the nose.. lower it to the floor.. puppy will follow.. if not gently pull the front legs forward into a sit.. say down.. clever boy etc.. big fuss and treat.

if the attention is a problem.. train as you go in daily life.. sit everytime you opena door..then work on stay.. sit open the door stay with door open till you let the pup through.

leave it is my fav.. put food on floor at feeding times.. say leave it.. you will prob have to hold the pup by the collar to start.. let go on a release command..

it only took ruby 1 week and now she is sitting not being help for food till release..

good luck with your training

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Build Attention

Building attention takes time and patience. I start with the dog at sit beside me - hold the treat at my left shoulder and say Foos - or heel which ever you prefer. You can also use watch but I do not like to use unnecessary commands. Start with him just looking up at you when you say Foos and reward. Then you just start building on the time. IF he breaks give a quick pop on the leash say Foos and as he comes back to look at you reward

This is the beginning of building focus. Also play tuggy with him and in the middle take the tuggy to your chest and stop all motion and call for a sit, a down, a stand, etc Whatever you call for when he sits immediaty start the tuggy game again as a reward.

Then as you are walking with him you can hold the tuggy at your left shoulder and call for foos. Start with just one of tweo steps and build as attention gets better. I like to teach attention as a stationary position and as a moving position.

Hope this helps.

My doberman puppy Reino is now 5months old and only knows sit, he is capable of learning other tricks but he is to easily distracted. I want to teach him how to stay, and lay down. Can I have any tips? Also how can I keep his attention better? I use treats to reward him but that only goes so far now. Help Please!

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Down and Stay

To teach down play him in a sit as to begin with it is easier from this positon. Take a treat and hold it in your hand and put your hand on the ground in front of him and as he goes down with the head to get it move it back towards him. This should encourage him to back into the down.

To start with I would reward him just for the head going down and the butt not popping up. As he gets good at this require more meaning that he actually goes into the down positoin.

Stay again place him at sit beside you on leash. Pivot on your left foot swinging your right foot directly in front of him to block him at the same time place your left hand palm straight across in front of his nose and say STAY.

Then swing back beside him and reward for not moving. As he gets the hand of this you can up the anti - Say stay - swing in front of him and back up a step - if he stays back up two say Stay and if he stays return to his side and reward. You build time and distance slowly.

Good luck Let me know if you need more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Titus is 13 weeks and I have taught him tons of stuff. He can sit, stay, lay down, leave it, crawl, turn around, and his newest one speak. If he gets to where he doesn't want to pay attention just forget it at the moment. Wait till he just wakes up from a nap and get him wanting the treat. That way he is not all wound up but he is hungry! It works for me. Titus loves learning new stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts