Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Big Dog
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 6 year old females. When a cat or dog approaches the fence my girls go nuts and go after each other. This is a brand new behavior for them. I have seen many other dogs in the neighborhood do this but I have personally never had dogs that do this. Of course, I stop them immediately but any other advice from those that deal with this? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My dogs will bark at the fence which is ok with me. They know what "leave it" means and
"come" so I use one of those commands for them to come inside. It works most of them time. You may need obedience classes.

As far as the dogs going after each other, just don't let both out together until you see what is triggering this. It could be hormonal if they aren't fixed. I would check their thyroid. Cheap test that some overlook at this age. It should be checked yearly.

·
Big Dog
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I need to add more info. Both dogs are fixed and obedience trained. they come inside immediately upon command. What is triggering this is as I explained. A cat or a dog comes close to the fence and they go nuts. Then they start going after each other since they obviously can't get to the stray animal. I have seen many other dogs do this but have never dealt with it myself and it just started recently.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Are they going after each other elsewhere or in different situations: ie: Resource guarding, jeolously, etc..

Reactions: Beaumont67
1 - 4 of 4 Posts