Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I can live with Jager being a little T-Rex, biting and chewing, I get it and we are working on that. I'm not worried about his ears anymore. Now I have a new problem. Jager goes to day care when I work for about 5-6 hours a day maybe three times a week. We go to a park and do a lot of out door stuff on my days off. The problem is the potty training. He is just not getting it. We go first thing in the morning when he first gets up. Then we go back to bed for about another couple of hours and then it's back outside again. Those times are great, he does what he is suppose too. During the day we are always out every hour or so and still he is going in the house! I give him treats for going outside, I praise him and when he goes inside I try to get him to stop and we go out right away. I even pick up his water bowel a couple of hours before bed time, I just don't get it. Could it be the day care? Will he catch on? My maltese was trained to go on her pad within days of getting her. What am I doing or not doing? Please tell me this too will pass. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Potty Training

How old is your Dobie? Do you have him crate trained?

Potty training can be so frustrating! I have an 11wk and although she is doing much better she still has at least 1 accident everyday. I didn't have her in a crate at first but soon discovered that she wasn't going pick up what I was layin' down if I didn't control her space. I believe crate training is the absolute best way to start the training process. I think most of her issue now is that she hasn't figured out how to alert me that she needs to go out. I try to take her out every 2 hours but somtimes that isn't enough. Dobermans want to please their leader, so I think this will probably pass with the appropriate training. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.learned this method from a dog show person years & years ago it does work just have to be consistent.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Leash your dobe to you so you can always have an eye on them. If they aren't right next to you, crate them. IMO, during potty training, any accident that happens is your fault, because a well watched puppy is a puppy that doesn't get in trouble! I literally am attached at the hip to our 10 week old 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's the commitment of raising a puppy. I take her out every hour (timer on my phone) using the exact same command "lets go potty" then once she does her business, click+treat+"GOOD potty!". Consistency and attentiveness are the keys to getting this down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for advice. I don't leash him to me but may be I need to. He is crate trained and does well in his crate. He does hold his bladder all night. No problems there. We have a fenenced yard so I didn't think to leash him when we go outside. I will try the suggestions here. BTW, Jager is 14 wks.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Our dobie boy Max seemed to take ages with the potty training too. We just carried on same with him. Like he was a brand new puppy. If we caught him doing his business in the house wed take him straight outside, if he did something great, we'd play if he didn't we'd take him back inside and crate him and try again after 20-30 minutes.

We always made sure to througout the day crate him, even though he hates his cage, but just so that we could keep up with the potty crat training. So he didn't think holding it was just a night time thing. Dobes are real smart. Just gotta be one step ahead. Your pup will get it eventually :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If he pees more often than he goes outside, my rule of thumb is to go out more often. Even if 1 hour seems like it should be fine, he is peeing inside. I'd set a timer and go out every 30 minutes. I'd rather go out too much than not enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a good day today :p He even waited until puppy class was over! I guess as with everything with this little guy, I have to take it day by day and try not to get too fustrated.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
I recon they are so smart they do it to make us think they are impossible.. then they do what we want cause we give them bigger and better treats as it took them so long. Wouldnt surprise me if they were smart enough to think like that.

In all seriousness though its great that you had a good day :) Your boy will understand and do whats required without you even realising it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You have some good advice here but there are some things I want to add that you may want to think about.

Do you have your pup on a regular eating schedule? My dogs (and as pups) ALWAYS eat at the same time everyday. They are allowed fresh water at all times (with pups I did like you, put the water up a few hours before bed) but I never allow my dogs or pups to graze or free feed. If they don't eat what I give them, when I give it to them, it gets put up. I think having a routine is essential in both potty training and obedience/manners. If he isn't already, get him in the routine of eating at the same time, going out at the same time, walks/training at same time, etc. Another thing, is he doing both #1 and #2 in the house?if he is only urinating, are you sure he isn't marking?

My female is almost 6 now and hasn't had an accident since she was 12 weeks old. My 3 year old male OTOH, still has a rare accident every now and then. I have heard (not sure if it's true) that males are harder in general to potty train and one of the reasons is they don't empty their bladders when they urinate, always saving some to "mark" territory later on. No idea if it's true or not, but no matter how often my boy pees, he always seems to have some left to mark wherever my female has gone, ugh. Some dogs just take more time and patience as well. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts