Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here!!! I am having the hardest time keeping my baby dobie's posts in his ears!.... He is a red male just 10weeks and he is knocking the posts out of his ears, mostly his left one. I have tried everything... putting the posts in deep....in shallow...using foam pieces for posts...made them stronger with Popsicle sticks... I followed the sticky on here to post ears step by step and somehow he still manages to get it out!!:busted_red:... any helpful hints on how to keep that post in?

·
Registered
305 Posts
when you followed the sticky on here, did you use the 3/4 backer rod??? My pup kept shaking them loose too, then i back it down to the 1/2 backer rod, which was much thinner, allowing me to get the post into the ear much deeper. He didnt ever shake them loose again after that switch.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I wouldn't put something as rigid as a Popsicle stick into my dog's ear. I'd try monk's suggestion with a smaller backer rod. If it's too small you can always wrap it a few times in tape.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I had the same issue with my pup I cut the 3/4 backer rod in half, wrapped it with duct tape with 3 layers and then wrapped the duct taped backer rod with cloth tape sticky side out the put them in the ears. Worked like a charm, they haven't popped out once and they have been in for 4 days.

Reactions: NtDg4

·
Registered
537 Posts
member brw with this following suggestion, for me worked great:

When taping the bottom of the ear, around the bell, before looping over the tape and securing it to the back taped portion of the post, gently pinch the ear together around the base of the post, almost like your closing it in. Then wrap your tape around and secure it to the back taped post. Don't have to do it hard, just kind of coerce the skin together.

Worked great for me.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I wouldn't put something as rigid as a Popsicle stick into my dog's ear. I'd try monk's suggestion with a smaller backer rod. If it's too small you can always wrap it a few times in tape.
This is the method I've used however the stick is wrapped very carefully with paper towel so it's soft and can't hurt the puppy. Then you tape it tightly and then you tape it "sticky side out," spray with starter fluid, and put into ears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help... I just used a smaller foam insert...cut the end a bit...sort of at an angle.... stays in great now!! even with all the playing!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always found it better to cut the backer rod in half... its not necessary to make the nice curve, and its half the weight and junk stuck into the ear...

also, once the bases start to poke up on there own... you can start to shrink the post size and have less directly in his ears... there's a little nub you can even almost rest the foam backer on inside the ear that's perfectly inline with a comfortable spot not to deep for them to even really care anymore...

thats his ears, all done, at JUST over 4 months. he was cropped at 9 weeks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are vet has a person that just does posting (she goes to all the vets around town for posting) This is what she told my Wife & I, first you don’t have to rap the post all the way down with the sticky side-out, she said that sometimes this will cause irritation. Two; if the dog shakes-out the post look inside the ear and if there is any dark purple spots this sometimes could mean that, the post are irritating the ear. Three; she likes to use the tape between the ears for at lease a Month or two, she said that this will help-out if they are very activate and like to play a lot, The first time she did Coco’s ears she used the ½ inch backer rod, she said that this size will work all the way through her ear posting.
She started with duck tape and at the bottom, she left-out about ¼ inch of the backer rod .
Then she used ½ inch sports tape, she started at the bottom where she stopped with the duck tape & rap around one time then, she started at the top of the post with the sticky side-out and went all the way down and stopped where the sports tape started so, that left about 1 inch total that was not taped with the sticky side-out she said that there is no need to have the sticky tape all the way down in the ear this could cause some irritation. Coco is just about done with the ear posting (think God, it can get very stressful) she just turned 6 Months so I think we will wait until after she gets spayed and then try the breath-right strips for a week or so.

Good luck.  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts