Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone!
We recently attempted posting Dracos ears. However, he was shaking his head A LOT - and so we figured we may have done it wrong. we took them out about 2-3 hours after posting and both ears were filled with a clear-brownish liquid ( I used rubbing alcohol wipes to clean his ears prior to posting) . We decided not to post until it clears up, and after a few days they’ve crusted up inside, I dab vetricyn in his ears to help heal them but we are currently still waiting until it’s all good in there. Could anyone offer us some help as to why dracos ears may have reacted this way and how we can avoid when we attempt to post again?

here we used cardboard super Tampax tampons wrapped in hockey tape, with 3M micropore tape on the outside of his ears.
Dog Carnivore Gesture Dog breed Finger
Dog Motor vehicle Comfort Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
The experts will weigh in but in the meantime…
1. The tape looks too tight. It should be loosely wrapped around the ear then squeezed around the posts.

2. The cardboard is too rigid and looks too large. Get some backer rods from the hardware store or Amazon.
……2a. If you haven’t read @greenkouki’s tutorial on how to post ears, do that a few times and then, do it again.

3. Do the ears smell like anything rancid, yeasty or infected? Are the ears hot or swollen? If so, leave the posts out and go to the vet. If not, they are likely not infected Just puppy ears that can produce a lot of wax that can range from pale yellow to lightish brown. You described clear-brownish so I would guess (just a guess) that they are fine.

4. If he is shaking his head, the posts are likely not seated far enough into the ears. It will be harder to seat a cardboard post firmly in the ear due to the rigidity. The backer rod, while taped, is a bit more malleable. To seat the post firmly you will have to twist it in a screwing motion while gently pulling the ear up and forward. I am not an expert but managed to post my boys ears solo from the time he was 10 weeks until he was nearly 9 months, so hopefully this gives you a start.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The experts will weigh in but in the meantime…
1. The tape looks too tight. It should be loosely wrapped around the ear then squeezed around the posts.

2. The cardboard is too rigid and looks too large. Get some backer rods from the hardware store or Amazon.
……2a. If you haven’t read @greenkouki’s tutorial on how to post ears, do that a few times and then, do it again.

3. Do the ears smell like anything rancid, yeasty or infected? Are the ears hot or swollen? If so, leave the posts out and go to the vet. If not, they are likely not infected Just puppy ears that can produce a lot of wax that can range from pale yellow to lightish brown. You described clear-brownish so I would guess (just a guess) that they are fine.

4. If he is shaking his head, the posts are likely not seated far enough into the ears. It will be harder to seat a cardboard post firmly in the ear due to the rigidity. The backer rod, while taped, is a bit more malleable. To seat the post firmly you will have to twist it in a screwing motion while gently pulling the ear up and forward. I am not an expert but managed to post my boys ears solo from the time he was 10 weeks until he was nearly 9 months, so hopefully this gives you a start.

Good luck!
thank you so very much for responding! You’re always so helpful!

1) we realized this and will do it lightly next time
3) no smell, no hot ears, but definitely scabby all inside there.
4) our breeder also said this to us but he recommended the tampon method. We will try the backer rod method next.I think what we may be having trouble with is putting it in deep enough. When he shook his head it never popped out and seemed well in there. Does the post go into the canal or does it just sit in the bell of the ear? I’m a bit confused about that.

thanks so much again for your help!

·
Big Lil pup
7,133 Posts
Hi sam...

My suggestion mirrors MMc's

The posts look way too big and probably too rigid also

So... Wait until the ears are healed. Your vet can prescribe an ear specific antibiotic drop like Otomax, if you want. Do not use alcohol to clean the ears. Vetricyn is fine to use in moderation.

Study the great tutorial that MMcCown posted the link to. If you wait until the ears are again cleared up and ready to post and follow greenkouki's visual lesson exactly, including using the suggested supplies, you will have good success with Draco's ears.

As you know, you come on anytime and there will be someone here to lend you a hand.

Oh. One other bit of advice to help keep the posts in: You should start taping at the bottom. And the bottom piece of tape should be as low as you can reasonably go. My personal preference is to then do the tip while still gently holding the ear pulled up. And finally, put a piece of tape around the middle.

Hugs to Draco.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,751 Posts
The post goes all the way down into the ear canal, as deeply as you can get it--stretch his ear up lightly and twist the post back and forth as you insert it. Don't let go--start taping.

Don't worry about getting it in too deep. The ear canal takes a right angle turn toward the head at the bottom--all of the sensitive stuff is past that turn.

If he has sore places, oozy skin, you need to wait until that is healed before posting him again. I don't know exactly what hockey tape is--it may be too sticky. Use Johnson and Johnsons Coach tape to wrap around the posts (sticky side out.)

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
thank you so very much for responding! You’re always so helpful!

1) we realized this and will do it lightly next time
3) no smell, no hot ears, but definitely scabby all inside there.
4) our breeder also said this to us but he recommended the tampon method. We will try the backer rod method next.I think what we may be having trouble with is putting it in deep enough. When he shook his head it never popped out and seemed well in there. Does the post go into the canal or does it just sit in the bell of the ear? I’m a bit confused about that.

thanks so much again for your help!
You are most welcome!
@4x4bike ped and @melbrod gave great advice!
1. Good call.
3. See what @4x4bike ped wrote about the drops
4. Backer rod will make it easier all the way around.

I used hockey tape when there was a Zonas/coach tape shortage and it did not work well at all. I found this on Amazon Canada which should be close to Zonas.

Okay, now you have to pay the advice tax…more photos, please! 😁

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It is possible he has an allergy or reaction, either to the post or simply exacerbated by them. What food is he on? Are you wrapping the bottom of the posts with hypoallergenic medical tape?
The others have given you great advice and I cannot stress how crucial it is to allow the ears to heal completely!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My pup had really waxy ears initially. I changed two things I was doing, so not sure which one or if both resolved the issue. Gauze on the bottom of the posts and using Chlorohexidine to clean them. I also recently started using Renfrew Cloth Hockey Tape when I ran out of Zonas Tape. It’s held well. I haven’t tried removing it yet, so I’ll see how that goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts