Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically my 8 month doberman just had diarrhea. She is currently 60 lbs, and has just been switched over to Innova. I was originally feeding her Blue Buffalo, but she was really gassy and had very loose stools. At around 6 nd a half to 7 months, she started having explosive diarrhea. When I took her to the vet they could not find anything wrong, and so they gave me some special gastrointestinal food for her. I was told to let her eat that food for a month, and then switch over to another food.

This is only her 3rd or 4th day of pure Innova. I switched her over in about 2 weeks time, so I do not believe it is because of that. Is her stomache just super sensitive? Also, could switching her over to the adult food help some? Or what about feeding her a grain free food? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the same issues with Dylan. Couldn't tolerate Blue, TOTW or Wilderness. Had the explosive diarrhea, etc.. Took him to the vet after the TOTW switch and it turned out he was crazy infested with roundworms, which we're thinking he picked up from coyote feces at our country house. We pick up poop at home and down there, but we've run across plenty of other animal poo. So you might have your vet run a fecal, just in case. Anyway, they put him on GI rest for 24 hours, gave him a broad spectrum dewormer (followed by another three weeks later), started him on prescription diet, then we put him on a bland chicken & rice type diet for a while and are now SLOOOOOOOWLY switching him to Innova adult. So far, so good. But he's always had a very touchy stomach, too. Couldn't tolerate those other foods that I mentioned above. When he came to us, ironically enough, he had perfect poop. He was eating Purina Dog Chow. Blech! I guess if you're fed corn all your life, it's hard to tolerate real food.

You might also consider probiotics. Seemed to help Dylan with food switches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issues with Dylan. Couldn't tolerate Blue, TOTW or Wilderness. Had the explosive diarrhea, etc.. Took him to the vet after the TOTW switch and it turned out he was crazy infested with roundworms, which we're thinking he picked up from coyote feces at our country house. We pick up poop at home and down there, but we've run across plenty of other animal poo. So you might have your vet run a fecal, just in case. Anyway, they put him on GI rest for 24 hours, gave him a broad spectrum dewormer (followed by another three weeks later), started him on prescription diet, then we put him on a bland chicken & rice type diet for a while and are now SLOOOOOOOWLY switching him to Innova adult. So far, so good. But he's always had a very touchy stomach, too. Couldn't tolerate those other foods that I mentioned above. When he came to us, ironically enough, he had perfect poop. He was eating Purina Dog Chow. Blech! I guess if you're fed corn all your life, it's hard to tolerate real food.

You might also consider probiotics. Seemed to help Dylan with food switches.
yea the vet had given us a probiotic too when we had brought her home from the vet... When I got her at 3 months she had been eating royal canin and her stools were fine. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Whatever food you settle on as being the best for her, you might give her some pumpkin and plain Greek yogurt. I buy it at Costco. My dogs love the yogurt and it does help their digestive system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow just remembered something very critical... She has been fine with the new food until today really... And I just remembered that I had put a little over a teaspoon of olive oil in her food this morning. Could this be the cause of her diarrhea? I'm thinking that this would be it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts