Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time reader (3 months LOL) first time writer. I have a 5 month old female that is having issues with going the bathroom in the house. Just when we think she has it down she has a accident in the house. Yesterday it was in the bedroom on her way out for the first time that morning. This is the first time she has done it in the bedroom, and not sure why she did it when she always goes out first thing in the morning.

She has only had a couple accidents in her kennel and that was due to her having an upset stomach, but she has had about 8 to 10 accidents in the house so far.

When she is with us in the house we watch her close and take her out every hour or less. She is on a leash when we take her out and she always does her buisness like she should.

She seems so smart that I am just a little confused as to why she hasn't completely figured this out.

Do we need to start over, or will she just get it over time?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Have you taught her to show you when she has to go?
I can only read between the lines but if you are taking her out every hour or less, that suspects to me, that she is not showing you.
With housetraining, over time someone can teach a dog to pee on command. You want her to show you instead of taking her out all the time.
Once she starts showing you, you don't have to take her out, so often. Then teach her a bell and it gives her other ways of communicating her need.
I love the bell that Nubis uses now, cuz sometimes I don't catch his signs when he is tearing around after the cats. Lol. He now knows sometimes when im talking, reading, busy, etc...that bell always gets my attention. Sometimes, which I want to, when he has my focus, I accept his old ways but will sometimes say, show me, and if he nose butts again, I'll say bell, and he will hit the bell.
If your girl went on the way after getting up, I would guess she was busting to go.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree you kinda have to teach her to tell you she has to go. I also use a bell. If you chose the bell just be aware that they can also figure out how to call you to come. LOL Kyrah did that. I had to put a stop to it and now she uses it just to tell me she needs or wants to go out. My other dobe Lexi (rip) thought it was the greatest thing ever! The door could be wide open and she would run in and out ringing the bell! It almost drove me insane. There were days I would just take it down.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Same! I am trying to get a bell!!! Good luck to both of us I guess! Hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw.Take them out about every 30 minutes or so depends on their age the younger they are the more you need to go out. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts