Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of fuzzie mommies on here that have a doberman and a little dog so please help. My newest dober boy loves to play with my weenie dog..sadly she hates him lol He is not getting the hint and paws at her and jumps on her which make the weenie attack him! The weenie will go up to him and try to snuggle if Onyx (dobe) is asleep or still but the second he jumps up to play she snaps..how can I get my big lug to be easier!!!:noidea:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Training, training and more training. It took months for me to teach Kyrah gentle & stop it. At times had a leash hanging from her so if I needed to get her I could. When my male terrier and dobe would play I would also have a stuffed animal so they would play a bit then redirect dobe to the stuffie and tug with her then the two would rough house again. My female terrier will only play chase with her and does not rough house with the dobie this was not taught b/c seems dobie always knew my female terrier would not have it. The dobe still paws my male terrier some and dont know how I would teach her not to do that 100% she seems to love to paw things. I would be very careful with the weenie b/c of her back. My dogs rarely play with each other if I am not involved in some way not sure why but seems to be the case in our house.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Supervision and consistency. Definitely remove him if he gets too rough. But even better would be to distract him with a recall to you when he is getting wound up but before he gets rough. Then release him to go back to play.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you I have another female dobie and she learned very fast not to be too rough but onyx is kind of a knot head lol He almost gets a kick out of it when she snaps at him..sheesh I will try leashing him so I can take him away quickly and maybe just buy more toys to distract him...does neutering fix his dominance issue?

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
It sounds like he's being playful, not dominant. Stick with it, be consistent, follow through and the ol' lughead will get it eventually.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
And even if he does get it, to be on the safe side you will still have to supervise the 2 of them foreeeevveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!!! Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I have a 13.6# Dachshund and a 90# Doberman Patches the Doxie learned to go under the couch I left a leash on Buddy when they were in the house together.Doberboys take longer to get the idea about being nice.They are both going to be 4 years old there next birthdays so Buddy does not have to drag a leash but he does know" she is little be nice".Out in the yard I have to remind him once it awhile. I never leave them loose in the house together when we leave Patches is always crated just for safety sake do to the size difference.Oh you have to be really careful of Doberboys lightening fast whack attacks with their Dober paws I was always scared Buddy would break Patches back.Good luck

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
As time comes and goes the pups learn (and make) their own place.

My tiny fuzzy Pom has a quick temper and will chase Max down with a vengeance if he is bumped (or even looked at wrong). Max on the other hand ignores the angry yips and thinks a great game of tag has begun. (Look Mom TOAN is playing with me. This is great!!)

We introduced Max as a baby so, for about a week their size difference wasn't so huge. I NEVER left them alone unsupervised. (I do now)

The little dogs are usually pretty vocal about puppies nipping them. Let them put the puppy in it's place. Step in when you have too. Watch feeding arrangements. This can be a problem area. In the beginning I fed separately. Then later I would feed and stand in the middle. Now, I can put the bowls down and they just eat what is theirs. (As long as it's NORMAL food. Not high value treats.) Make sure the little one has a place to go that is "safe". For my Pom it was the back of the sofa (and our bed). Max wasn't allowed on the sofa as a pup. He is allowed up by invitation now. Toan tolerates. I've even caught them sleeping side by side occasionally. Just be vigilant.

Reactions: Crow

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Our Westie was getting middle aged when I got MoJo....he learned early that small as she was, she was force to be reckoned with. As he grew bigger and bigger, I had to enforce the "gentle rule"....since it was his paws that could do the damage...and I knew he wasn't trying to hurt her. It was a matter of constant vigilance and correction (a tag I kept on his collar) in the beginning, but he learned fast that "face wrestling" was the way to go, if he wanted to have fun with her. He learned to lay down so they were the same height :).....He now does the same thing with my sister's Pug.

p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts